Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How did we do with the California hotels we've chosen? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-did-we-do-with-the-california-hotels-weve-chosen-184074/)

Nole Sep 1st, 2001 07:00 AM

How did we do with the California hotels we've chosen?

We have made our reservations for a three week vacation we are planning and are curious if we've made some AWFUL choices or can anticipate a WONDERFUL time. Any positive help/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. <BR> <BR>Los Angeles: Wyndham Checkers <BR>Laguna Beach: Surf and Sand Resort <BR>San Diego area: Hotel del Coronado <BR>Central Coast area: Pelican Suites in Cambria <BR>Carmel: Tickle Pink Inn <BR>San Francisco: Hotel Monaco <BR>Pacific Grove/Monterey: Gosby House Inn <BR>Los Angeles: Renaissance Beverly Hills <BR>Los

fran Sep 1st, 2001 07:05 AM

I'm not familiar with Pelican Suites in Cambria, but everythinig else will definitely be wonderful. You've chosen great places to visit and great places to stay! Enjoy.

Sarah Sep 1st, 2001 08:01 AM

Sounds like a great vacation! All of the hotels that you've chosen are centrally located for the areas that you're staying in. Have fun!

cindy Sep 1st, 2001 03:34 PM

How long are you traveling for EIGHT check in and check outs---UGH!

Paula Sep 1st, 2001 07:13 PM

Pelican Suites is wonderful -- one of the best on Moonstone Beach. You have certainly done your homework. Good choices.

Suzie Sep 1st, 2001 08:34 PM

Oh my gosh, the Surf and Sand in Laguna?!!! You are in for a treat! <BR> <BR>You have a mighty fine list of hotels there. Have a fab time.

susan Sep 2nd, 2001 11:48 AM

The Tickle Pink is WONDERFUL. We had room overlooking the ocean and saw beautiful sunsets from our balcony. You'll love the room and the view. Have a good time!

jealous Sep 2nd, 2001 03:10 PM

Huh, above?? Anyway, I have NEVER stayed at any of these notoriously famous hotels, but am totally jealous--you did good!!!!

holly Sep 3rd, 2001 03:18 PM

Ed - <BR> <BR>I did note in Nole's post that he has made his reservations and is seeking "positive" comments only - which could lead some to believe that he is looking for approval/a pat on the back/admiration etc. I don't know if this is the case, but I don't hear him asking for any other specific vacation advice. Perhaps we need to hear from Nole again - the only posts i have seen so far from him since the original one have been to slam others.

BFletcher Oct 30th, 2001 07:09 PM

The Hotel Del in Coronado will be a wonderful treat. It is magnificent. If you are there on a sunday - do not miss the sunday brunch. Lunch at Peohe's in Coronado is great also. Great views of the city. Have fun! <BR>Babs - in San Diego

Joe Oct 31st, 2001 05:54 AM

You have no doubt picked fabulous properties, but I agree with Cindy too many hotels for only 3 weeks. <BR> <BR>My suggestion is to consolidate your Carmel/Monterey stay in one hotel, and do the same for LA and Beverly Hills.

David Oct 31st, 2001 07:14 AM

We have stayed in four of these properties: <BR> <BR>--Surf and Sand <BR>--Hotel del Coronado <BR>--Tickle Pink Inn <BR>--Hotel Monaco <BR> <BR>We loved all of them, however I agree with Joe, why spend more time then you have to checking in and out? I, too, would recommend one hotel for LA and one for Carmel/Monterey (you won't be disappointed in the Tickle Pink!). <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>David

kam Oct 31st, 2001 08:01 AM

I agree with the others. Checkers is a wonderful hotel, but it's in the very downtown area of LA and I don't see any advantage to being there. You would do better to stay over in Beverly Hills for both nights. Carmel and Pacific GRove are so close that I think you need to chose one of the both very good choices and limit yourself to just one. You'll find lots of comparisons between the two towns here if you search.

xxx Oct 31st, 2001 10:28 AM

dito...carmel/montery are right next to each other. besides, driving in that area is so beautiful you won't mind a bit of going back & forth. (the 17 mile drive around pebble beach is beautiful.)

Dawn Nov 1st, 2001 09:44 AM

Nole, <BR>I have one comment about the Surf and Sand. It is lovely 'beachy' hotel and I have stayed there. It's right on the beach and a good walking spot from the galleries and restaurants nearby. <BR> <BR>You should know that I had to wear earplugs while sleeping because the surf is REALLY loud and crashing against the rocks. We were on the second floor with a balcony of the beach. If you are looking for gentle ocean sounds, consider this. I did like the hotel though. It's not the hotel's fault and I do not know if others are as sensitive as I am. I would stay at the Ritz which is a mile down the road. Keep this in mind. The Ritz is more money but in my opinion, worth it.

dave Nov 13th, 2001 01:07 PM

We love going to the Del. Try to stay in the older part of the hotel. The rooms are all different and have unique appeal. No, not as 'nice' as the towers, but not as sterile either.<BR><BR>

s Nov 13th, 2001 04:20 PM

Dawn, I agree with you about the loud surf at The Surf and Sand. Our room didn't have AC, so we "slept" with the sliding door open. The hotel clerk had warned us about the noise ahead of time. Unfortunately, we weren't able to sleep and we'd never stay there again.

Uni Nov 27th, 2001 10:54 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco a couple years ago and we loved it. There's one opening in DC soon, can't wait!