Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How did Julia Roberts do in the play? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-did-julia-roberts-do-in-the-play-609252/)

peeky Apr 20th, 2006 10:50 AM

How did Julia Roberts do in the play?

Did any of you see her on Broadway?
Now that Brian Grazer is separated do you think he is available - I think he is pinceable.

GoTravel Apr 20th, 2006 10:53 AM

What is pinceable?

What is Brian Grazer separated from?

divingaggie Apr 20th, 2006 11:08 AM

I think maybe she meant "pinchable"?

FainaAgain Apr 20th, 2006 11:17 AM

Or "priceable"?

HowardR Apr 20th, 2006 11:22 AM

Back to the question being asked, she didn't get very good reviews. The critics said that he lack of theatrical experience was showing.
And, a real telltale comment from one of the critics: The night he saw, the audience didn't give usual standing ovation, something which, unfortunately, is almost a given at any show these days.

Loki Apr 20th, 2006 11:22 AM

or "invincible"

mah1980 Apr 20th, 2006 11:27 AM

I just read that Grazer (better known as Ron Howard's business partner and the man with porcupine hair) and his wife are separated.

That's funny since InStyle did a spread recently about a book party that someone threw for her new book, "Starter Wives." Maybe he got a couple ideas from the book!!! lol

Neopolitan Apr 20th, 2006 11:40 AM

Howard, I think you made the mistake of thinking this post had anything to do with theatre.

HowardR Apr 20th, 2006 11:49 AM

Silly me!

lcuy Apr 20th, 2006 12:21 PM

My daughter said the preopening show was a waste of her money.

Gekko Apr 20th, 2006 12:36 PM

The review in today's NY Post was savage. I believe it ended with something like "if you can't get tickets, consider yourself lucky."

Only 12 weeks showing, so it will still make money, and Ms. Roberts might grow into the role over the first few weeks, as Ms. Peet did in Barefoot in the Park.

escargot Apr 20th, 2006 12:36 PM

This is unfortunate but too common in my opinion: they put a movie star in a lead theater role who has no theater/stage experience b/c it unfortunately appeals and sells ticketes to people who might otherwise not attend the theater - as in if a play/show doesn't have a big name draw some just don't want to bother.

So many times I've had people ask me what play I am seeing and who is in it and if my answer isn't someone famous, and if it isn't 'on' broadway, they seem puzzled....which is too bad b/c a lot of people are missing a lot of good theater in the city.

and as HowardR said, audiences give out those standing O's like candy today, so for her not to get one is rather amazing... maybe more and more are becoming discerning theater goers and not just applauding b/c a 'name' star walked through a role... can i hope for this?!

hmmm...Brian Grazer and pinchable don't go together for me, but hey, that's what makes a horse race !

Gekko Apr 20th, 2006 12:43 PM

Snobby attitudes like "escargot's" are precisely why some people, particularly tourists who travel to NYC, don't go to see "good theater."

Julia Roberts is a huge star who has made a lot of people smile over the years (and cry). If an audience wants to give her a standing ovation just for being Julia, who are you to complain about it?

Jeez . . .

peeky Apr 20th, 2006 01:01 PM

Hey thanks! Of course I mean Julia on Broadway in a play - not walking down the street - mr. naplesman.

Grazer is sexy in a way - but I am afraid I might hurt him.

You are all great - see ya later

GeorgeW Apr 20th, 2006 01:15 PM

I'm proud to say that I haven't seen a Julia Roberts film. However, my advice to her on doing stage after her film career fades is to adopt the Kathleen Turner mode and do something way out there and get people's attention like Miss Turner did with Mrs. Robinson.

Gekko Apr 20th, 2006 01:26 PM

Like I said, snobs. Who else would be "proud to say" he/she/it hasn't seen:

Closer
Steel Magnolias
Ocean's 11
Mona Lisa Smile
Erin Brockovich
Pret a Porter (Ready to Wear)
Sleeping with the Enemy
Pretty Woman
Mystic Pizza
etc.

Let me guess, clove cigarettes and Ingmar Bergman? Give me a break . . .

sfamylou Apr 20th, 2006 01:40 PM

I think it's funny when people say things like, "I'm proud I haven't seen a Julia Roberts movie." Why would you be proud of something like that? It isn't good or bad; it's just the way it is with you. In any case, I read the bad reviews and felt a bit sorry for her. And by the way, I thought Starter Wives was horrible. I reviewed it on Amazon and my title was "Corny and Cliche'd but all in all, Pretty Vapid."

HowardR Apr 20th, 2006 01:45 PM

What's the big deal about whether or not anyone has seen Julia Roberts' movies? What is it indicative of? After all, some of those movies were very good....others were not.
I've seen about half of them. I wonder what that makes me.

Neopolitan Apr 20th, 2006 01:46 PM

peeky, your original question would have sounded more like a theatre question if you actually asked something about the play or the production. You didn't even mention the name of the play. What you asked was if anyone saw her it in -- not even "how did she do?" And that immediately was overshadowed with the typical tabloid fodder -- not a question or comment about either the play or the production. Which of course is why the following comments had nothing to do with theatre either.

I'm not going to knock her for doing the play, and frankly I'm glad I have tickets. I have read the play and found it very interesting, both in concept and in the dialogue. Oddly enough it is not the female character's play, but much more about the two men in it. And while admittedly many people buy the tickets to just say they saw her, at least it gets them into a Broadway theatre so that's a good thing.

And Gekko, I think you missed the whole point of the standing ovation comment. It had nothing to do with an audience standing for her which would be expected since she is (as even NY TIMES' Ben Brantley said -- a true movie star) but rather that they didn't give her one, which would indicate the disappointment in her performance that most of the critics seem to be dishing out. I also read lots of reader reviews on Talking Broadway, and the majority of them have mentioned her lack of real character or emotion in this piece, as well as her inability to even be heard in the theatre. Not unlike some of the comments about your favorite in that Neil Simon rerun.

peeky Apr 20th, 2006 01:55 PM

I see your point or are you just glad to see me? I was so excited I neglected to write the name of the play.

I enjoyed Mystic Pizza and I even went to eat there.

Thank you again, meine Freunde