Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How Dangerous is Pompano Beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-dangerous-is-pompano-beach-1677184/)

ksternberg Feb 1st, 2020 04:08 PM

How Dangerous is Pompano Beach?

I could use some advice from seasoned Florida visitors.

I have an extremely good-sounding airBnB lined up for the last week of February. It’s in the 1300 SE 1st area. It’s east of 1A, about a mile from the beach. The town is said by some to have a very high crime rate and I’m having second thoughts. I grew up in New York and have some degree of street smarts. But it is a vacation and being mugged isn’t on my to-do list. I’m not the paranoid type, but I’m concerned. Is Pompano Beach at least fairly safe for walking around and exploring in daylight? Is there anything in particular I should know about it?

Thank you very much.

starrs Feb 1st, 2020 04:19 PM

Why are you staying a mile away from the beach?

ksternberg Feb 1st, 2020 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by starrs (Post 17056323)

Because it’s the closest I could find that I could afford. I may well cancel and head to the Gulf Coast.

Dukey1 Feb 2nd, 2020 04:43 AM

Believe me, Pompano is not anything even remotely close to New York in terms of muggings and crime. Mugged in Pompano?

Macross Feb 2nd, 2020 04:57 AM

You have to be smart everywhere now. It is the drugs that are making people crazy in big towns as well as beach towns. We always do the buddy system at night and I never get gas or go to the store at night. Uber home if out late and you should be ok.

babijc Feb 2nd, 2020 03:06 PM

Why Pompano Beach?

First question is why Pompano? Something in particular make you think of it? Beaches? Diving? Fishing? Nothing wrong with the beach area but like any city there are areas to stay out of. I am a relocated NYer and happy to answer your questions and concerns openly and truthfully.

babijc Feb 2nd, 2020 03:27 PM

Pompano

What date are you coming?

ksternberg Feb 2nd, 2020 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by babijc (Post 17056778)
First question is why Pompano? Something in particular make you think of it? Beaches? Diving? Fishing? Nothing wrong with the beach area but like any city there are areas to stay out of. I am a relocated NYer and happy to answer your questions and concerns openly and truthfully.

I wanted Fort Lauderdale-By-The-Sea but there was nothing available for my budget. I like the beach, don’t fish or dive. Hope to also explore whatever nature sanctuaries are in the area, such as the Everglades.

Planning 2/24 to 2/29.

babijc Feb 2nd, 2020 04:45 PM

Things to do

Pompano Beach has great beaches with an amazing beach front area and lots of new restaurants. Tiki shuttles and water taxis on the intercostal waterway to LBTS and Fort Lauderdale too. Check out Holiday Everglades Park for airbus rides and gators and Hugh Birch State Park for a 60 acre natural hammock and slough area in Fort Lauderdale. Upper Keys are only 2.5 hours away too. Enjoy and see y’all soon!

lrice Feb 2nd, 2020 10:14 PM

Hi Ksternberg,

East Pompano Beach along the ocean is lovely. It’s old Florida. I’m from Boca and have elderly family in Boca, Deerfield Beach and Pompano Beach. Where exactly is the apartment?

It’s a densely populated area so the crime you’re hearing about may be in the western part of the town; but I wouldn’t say Pompano Beach is dangerous. In any of these popular areas, we all have to be aware of our surroundings.

As a tourist, I expect you will be up and down A1A and perhaps Federal Highway (Highway 1). The area by Atlantic Boulevard and the Intracoastal has good shops and restaurants. And a little further north on the Hillsborough Mile are multi-million dollar homes along the ocean. The Deerfield Pier is nice with restaurants and a great beach, and south along A1A to Las Olas Boulevard is great!

If you want to send me the apartments you are looking at, I’m happy to give you my opinion. That said, the west coast of Florida is lovely too.

babijc Feb 3rd, 2020 03:06 AM

Pompano Resident here

Give me the actual addy or cross streets and need ave or street. Moved here 5 yrs ago from NYC area and now live A1A and Atlantic Blvd. Also what is your lodging requirement and budget I may have alternatives for you.

ksternberg Feb 3rd, 2020 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by starrs (Post 17057151)

Because I can't afford what's available on the beach. I also want access to a kitchen so I'm not eating out all the time.

The place I'm booked at is 1312 SE 1st.

babijc Feb 3rd, 2020 11:30 AM

The McNab Farm area is fine...

Not sure what would spawn such a question about danger in Pompano but have an idea and keep in mind Lamar is from a particular area that f the city that you should avoid. I would say that of the neighborhoods you could have chosen to stay, this area is a 6-7/10. Now keep in mind I would rate the barrier island a 8-9/10 and the NW area a 1-2/10. You are in a residential area not a tourist area so as with any residential area anywhere, you don't leave the car doors unlocked or items sitting out in the open. Pretty simple stuff. Meanwhile there is nothing wrong with areas east of Dixie Hwy.

Christina Feb 3rd, 2020 11:58 AM

Have no idea what that means about Lamar, but according to the newspaper, Pompano Beach is the city with the greatest number of rapes in Broward county

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/cr...lfu-story.html

ksternberg Feb 3rd, 2020 01:14 PM

I didn’t mean to start a huge debate. I just wanted to know if any areas there were risky neighborhoods.

Nomadicas Feb 4th, 2020 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by ksternberg (Post 17056316)
I could use some advice from seasoned Florida visitors.

I have an extremely good-sounding airBnB lined up for the last week of February. It’s in the 1300 SE 1st area. It’s east of 1A, about a mile from the beach. The town is said by some to have a very high crime rate and I’m having second thoughts. I grew up in New York and have some degree of street smarts. But it is a vacation and being mugged isn’t on my to-do list. I’m not the paranoid type, but I’m concerned. Is Pompano Beach at least fairly safe for walking around and exploring in daylight? Is there anything in particular I should know about it?

Thank you very much.

I wouldn’t be worried about it. Like any town you’ll know exactly what areas seem safe and what areas you need to stay away from. All the beaches will have plenty of law enforcement presence and you will be fine if you’re spending your days on the beach. Just don’t leave valuables in your car. Smash and grabs are bad at any beach in Florida.

looblue Feb 16th, 2021 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=ksternberg;17056316]I could use some advice from seasoned Florida visitors.

Hi, I was wondering if you got a chance to go there and if you found it safe? Thank you