Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How can the weather report be so wrong? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-can-the-weather-report-be-so-wrong-1079571/)

sf7307 Nov 26th, 2015 03:16 PM

How can the weather report be so wrong?

It changes hourly, that I get, but I'm sitting poolside in Maui where it's in the mid-80s, mostly sunny with some passing clouds and a trade wind or two. The current weather according to The Weather Channel is 85, cloudy with winds over 20 mph!

DebitNM Nov 26th, 2015 05:11 PM

Is this a humblebrag? :)

sf7307 Nov 26th, 2015 05:47 PM

Nope, I'm genuinely curious.

NeoPatrick Nov 26th, 2015 05:53 PM

so it's mid 80's but the Weather Channel says it's 85? Ummm. What am I missing here? How could they be so wrong?

And instead of "mostly sunny" there are some clouds. Aren't there some clouds when it is mostly sunny?

And aren't trade winds around 20 mile an hour breezes?

Again, what am I missing here? Get back to us when it is that prediction, but actually snowing and 28 degrees and THEN we'll talk.

Ackislander Nov 27th, 2015 12:05 AM

I'm with Neo on this.

You are making a distinction without a difference.

That said, if you are on an island -- I live on one -- the weather can differ significantly at points a few miles apart. A sea breeze will always be cooler than a land breeze, even when there isn't a whole lot of wind.

I have Accuweather, Weather Underground, and The Weather Channel bookmarked. The Weather Channel is the least accurate because it has the fewest observation points.

NeoPatrick Nov 27th, 2015 04:13 AM

Hopefully sf7307 wasn't blown away in an unannounced hurricane and can come back and explain HOW the prediction was SO wrong. My favorite is still that it was 85 and NOT the mid 80s!

Or maybe the OP was supposed to be a joke -- making fun of those people who complain about the weather when this time they got it pretty much exactly right?

Dukey1 Nov 27th, 2015 04:19 AM

I remember when I lived on Oahu and it was raining while the sun was shining. I asked someone why people had left their lawn sprinklers running during the "rain." People laughed and said, "Wait a minute and the rain will stop," and it did.

It could be a lot worse, sf7307. You could be subjected to one of those Weather Channel "Cantore Stories" at some point so be very afraid.

tomfuller Nov 27th, 2015 06:06 AM

Glad the hear someone is warm. The temp here in central Oregon is up to minus one.

Songdoc Nov 27th, 2015 06:41 AM

I've had many times when the weather report was completely off base on Kauai. Princeville is small, so it's unlikely that there are major variations in the weather within it. I have sat on the lanai in bright sunshine when Accu-weather states that it is currently raining.

"Cloudy" can mean puffy white clouds in an otherwise sunny sky. "Rain" can mean a 5-minute shower. Unless there is a hurricane headed right toward me, I pretty much ignore the reports.

I'm glad the OP is enjoying some beautiful weather. I'm glad someone is ...

Ackislander Nov 27th, 2015 10:59 AM

Well, it's 60 with glorious sun here in Nantucket, though hardly pool weather. Tomorrow, alas, not nearly the same.

sf7307 Nov 27th, 2015 12:16 PM

FWIW, the temperature was accurate, but it said cloudy (it was sunny - a few passing clouds does not qualify as cloudy) and the winds were almost non-existent -- maybe I was wrong to call it a trade wind, it was more like a gentle breeze). We were also in Lahaina where it was high 70s and clear and The Weather Channel was reporting "currently raining". It hasn't been close to accurate despite the nitpicking.

Dukey1 Nov 27th, 2015 01:25 PM

Maybe what you need to do is chill out and "worry" about more important things and be happy the weather there is as good as it is.

FrankS Nov 27th, 2015 01:28 PM

You can be sunny and 85 in Napili let alone Lahaina, while cloudy, windy and rainy 79 in very nearby Kapalua. Maui is full of microclimates

bettyk Nov 27th, 2015 01:34 PM

We just returned from 12 days in Maui. It was warm and muggy most days so we were happy for the winds. When we first arrived on the 11th, it was gusting up to 40 mph! That lasted for a couple of days then it returned to normal.

Weather on one side of the island can be completely different from the other side -- trade winds and all that.

Who knows why -- just enjoy Maui!!

ms_go Nov 27th, 2015 03:25 PM

<i>I've had many times when the weather report was completely off base on Kauai.</i>

Accuweather says it is cloudy and raining in Poipu right now, but it actually looks like this:
http://onelittleworld.zenfolio.com/p...aea3#h601aaea3

LoriNY1 Nov 28th, 2015 07:54 AM

dh and I had that this past Labor Day weekend in Toronto. weather forecast said low 70s. yeah, try mid 90s.

Inakauaidavidababy Nov 28th, 2015 09:57 AM

For the love of Pele, why oh why would you spend you sunny poolside warm day on a device looking up the weather and complaining about its accuracy?

Dave_Ohio Nov 28th, 2015 11:57 AM

I find no humor in this.
Where I am it is 41F, cloudy, with a northerly wind, and a light drizzle falling.

welltraveledbrit Nov 28th, 2015 02:03 PM

Seriously, with the title I was expecting a hurricane or a tropical storm at the very least?!!!

NeoPatrick Nov 28th, 2015 03:45 PM

Still scratching my head. To get concerned and "upset" because they said mostly sunny and there were more than a few clouds, and 20 mile per hour breezes, which is hardly hurricane force and in my book would classify as "slight breezes", and the temperature was EXACTLY right, well, dear, you really need to chill!