Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How can I find out what's going on in Hawaii in October? Is there a good website showing big events?

How can I find out what's going on in Hawaii in October? Is there a good website showing big events?

May 17th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

...Just planning my trip and since I'm flexible in dates - thought it would be wise to see what other events will be 'competing' for hotel space, flights, etc. Specifically am wondering about the Iron Man - heard that is a huge event there.

May 17th, 2004, 07:21 AM

gohawaii.com is a good resource. Specifically, try calendar.gohawaii.com.
May 17th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Try www.konaweb.com.
May 17th, 2004, 11:14 AM

The Ironman is on the Big Island in the Kona area. It will be on October 16 this year.
May 17th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Yes, you should definitely schedule around Ironman. Rates for many hotels/condos skyrocket for that week, and getting around Kona (and Waikoloa) is a real PITA starting a week or two before the event. Things die down pretty quickly after the event, though.. Late October/early November is a great time to go there.

Ironman is the one huge event on the Big Island every year, but there are others which are smaller -- golf tournaments, conventions etc. Check with wherever you're booking your accomodations.
May 17th, 2004, 06:28 PM

alternative-hawaii.com has a great calendar. Also there's some gourmet cooking classes that are just plain fun at gourmetcookinghawaii.com

aloha
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:21 PM

I'm pleased to say that I am going to the Ironman next month, and will be a volunteer. My friend is participating so I thought it would be a good time to check out a once-in-a-lifetime event.
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:31 PM

You did not say which island you are visiting, but Aloha Festivals run through the end of October, especially in Maui County. This will only impact your plans if you are planning on spending time in remote areas, like on Lana`i or in Hana during festival events.
http://www.alohafestivals.com/

There are also windsurfing events on Maui in October