Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How can I entertain my teenage son when we visit Chicago, IL?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Russell Flowers

My family is planning a trip to Chicago, IL between May - August, 2002. We will be there for one week, how can I keep my teenage son and daughter entertain?

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Carol

First take them on an open bus ride to see the sights and then plan from there. There is the Museums, the water front is fantastic. There is the Hard Rock Cafe and Planet Hollywood. FAO Swartz (sp), great for even Dad.

Just a trip down Michigan Ave is a full day. Your teenage daughter will love the shopping.

Chicago is one of my favorate places to visit because there is so much to do.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Dottie

Art Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Planitarium, Shedd Aquarium, Navy Pier, stroll the harbor. Hancock Building instead of Sear's Tower for view. Lunch on the, I think 25th floor of the Hancock Building. Have fun!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:51 PM
abc

You'll be there in baseball season. Try to get tickets to a Cubs or White Sox game (or both - if they are really sports fans.)

Also, if they are like 95% of teens, they probably like pizza. Chicago can show you that there are so many more interesting places to go than Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, etc. You may be able to amaze them that you are so hip on pizzas.

As mentioned before - Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium are great places to go that teens and you will enjoy.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Debbie

As someone who lives in the Chicago area and has a teenage son and daughter,I would recommend the above wholeheartedly. Last week,our family went into the city to do some last viewing of the holiday decorations,etc. We went and had lunch at the ESPN zone restaurant . The place is amazing-upstairs is all participating interactive sports,the restaurant is where you can sit and watch over 12 different TV sets on the wall with one big huge screen TV and one at your booth.(The TV's had everything from vintage golf to Michael Jordan's college games.)They even have TVs above the urinals in mens'room according to my son. My teenage daughter enjoyed it and I must admit that the lunch was one of the better meals that we have out in a long time! There is SO much to do in Chicago for everyone no matter what time of the year you go.Do go up at sunset in the Sears Tower for a wonderful view of the city and lakefront-there is also a nice tutorial on Chicago and its famous history and people in the center of the Sears Tower at the top when you are walking around for the views. The Shedd Aquarium and the whole museum campus area is a treasure(the Shedd has a food court and a Marriott diningroom that overlook Lake Michigan for a great spot for lunch).The city is one of the cleanest cities in the world and at that time of the year you will be amazed at the festivals,flowers and things to particapte in. Although Chicago has over 8 million people-I think that you will find that it is a composite of small towns/areas with every possible ethnic group within it. Unlike other major cities in the USA,most people are pleasantly surprised how helpful and friendly the people are. One tip-do go to the Water Tower area to the tourist info area as I hear you can get coupons for various things at a discount. Any other questions,let me know. What sort of things do your teenagers enjoy or are intersted in?

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:27 PM
pj

The water tower has a visitor booth that is the historical water tower not water tower place the shopping mecca. They are next to each other!! There is a hottix booth in there to get 1/2 price tickets to plays!!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Dan

I always reccommend a boat ride on Lake Michigan for a view of one of the most stunning skylines in the world. You have to see it from the water to really appreciate it. Also near Water Tower is Oak St. Beach, an unbelievable beach for a downtown setting. People walk, roller blade and bike (go north not south) along the lake shore. Plenty of young people there. The city has really become so nice in the past 10 years or so.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 04:52 AM
sss

never been but friend just told me that he took his son to a Science Museum and they had a blast.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 05:04 AM
m

also, Architectural boat tours.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Mrs. O'L

1. Skip the Sears Tower -- go up the Hancock. Less of a hassle and less surrounding PR and, IMHO, a better view.

2. Get tickets to Blue Man Group. I promise the whole family will have a great time.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Catherine

If your teens are into music, I'd suggest the Metro, a popular club on North Clark (www.metrochicago.com). They have concerts (both local and national acts) almost every night; most are all-ages shows that end at 10 pm. Ticket prices vary from about $8-20. If you don't want to accompany them, the neighborhood is pretty safe, and it's easy to catch the el or get a cab.

I'd also like to suggest Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, which is "thirty plays in sixty minutes" done by a comedy group called the Neo-Futurists. I think they have shows at 11:45 on Friday and Saturday nights and an eariler show on Sundays. Located around Ashland and Foster on the North Side. Be prepared to arrive early and wait in line.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Dottie

Debbie

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Dottie

Debbie - Hit the wrong key - excuse please....Where is the ESPN zone restauant located? We are often in Chicago but have never been there. Thanks!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:12 PM
sister

I'm sure there will be a festival going on, too...we were there last year during the Art Fest on Navy Pier.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 05:56 PM
H

Carol -

Planet Hollywood closed years ago (Praise Jesus - one less cookie cutter chain tourist trap) and FAO Schwartz closed its doors this month.

Try to catch a Cubs game. I know people like to push the Ontario/Ohio Street tourist stuff more - but Wrigley Field is not to be missed - and teenagers seem to love it as much as anyone.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:52 PM
jake

I am a teenager and my feedback is:

BLUE MAN GROUP!!!!!!!!

seriously! (amazing, u will have no regrets)

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:03 PM
dmk

ESPN Zone is at 43 E. Ohio, near Michigan Ave.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:04 PM
dmk

One more vote for a Cubs game.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:34 AM
jpm

If you go to Field or Shedd, consider buying the CityPass. For $33 gives you access to both as well as sears tower, adler planeterium (sp?), art museum, and Science and Industry Musuem (this one is great). It is a great value and is good for 9 days from date of purchase. It can be bought at any of these places.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Debbie

Dottie-sorry have been away for awhile.The ESPN is just around the corner(next to the now defunct Disney Quest) and down the street from Virgin Records(which if Russell is from a smaller area,his kids would enjoy a quick peek at the inside of the store and purchase of a few CDS.) Russell,could you tell us what sort of things your kids like and their ages and then we could give you even more info? As you can tell,there are so many things to do in Chicago!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -