Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How bad is black fly season in the Adirondacks?

Sep 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi-
Im planning a vacation in late june and considering the adirondacks, specifically Lake Placid or Saranac Lake as a destination. How bad are the black flies this time of year? Bad enough that I should consider going in August? Also, does it still get cool in Late June?
Thanks-
Sep 5th, 2009, 03:46 PM

We had a place on Raquette lake and i have to tell you for the 10 years we went there they were terrible from when we opened on Mother and came back on Memorial day. We were never there in June but people say they don't disappear until early July. When we came back on July 4th they seemed to be gone. Though I will tell you some people seem to attract biting flies....like my husband and for some reason they never bothered me.
Sep 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM
J62

The weather in the Adirondacks isn't consistent from year to year. I've seen 4th of July week where it was very nice, high mid 70's to 80, and other years where it's cloudy and it doesn't get out of the 60's - way too cold for water sports, but ok for hiking. Nothing worse than renting a lakeside cabin and not being able to go on or in the lake.
Sep 6th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Im interested in mostly hiking, not watersports. Weather is not much of a concern. Its the black flies that im worried about.
Sep 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM

If you are going in June, bring bug spray. Black flies show up in May and usually stick around through June. If you are lucky and the weather is cool they won't be as bad.
Sep 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

But, would black fly season be something you want to plan your vacation around or just bring bug spray and its not that bad?
Thanks-
Sep 6th, 2009, 03:41 PM

I haven't been to the Adirondacks, but if the black flies are the same as in Maine, then they are something to schedule your trip around.