Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How are the lobster prices in Newport, RI and do you need a rental car? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-are-the-lobster-prices-in-newport-ri-and-do-you-need-a-rental-car-203661/)

Sheila Apr 22nd, 2002 08:57 AM

How are the lobster prices in Newport, RI and do you need a rental car?

We are trying to find a place for a summer vacation that we do not have to rent a car on the east coast. I have posted questions about Maine also. We want to fly in from Memphis to the east coast and rely on public transportation if there is such a place. Lobster, seafood and relaxation is very important on this trip. Thanks for any help.

alex Apr 22nd, 2002 09:05 AM

We vacationed in Newport last year and are headed to Providence at the end of the week for a wedding. We found that once you are in Newport, you really do not need a car. We stayed at the Captain Preston House B&B and all of the sites were easily walkable. We did go to a wedding on Goat Island and found it useful to have a car to get there but we could have easily taken a taxi as well. There is very good seafood but we found that prices vary dramatically from one place to another and also on the season. I am not sure how you would get to Newport from Providence without a car but someone else might be able to provide more info.

chuckle Apr 22nd, 2002 09:18 AM

Someday, I'm going to compile a list of Fodor's post titles that (intentionally or not) made me laugh. This is one of them. When I first ready it, it sounded as if the poster wanted to know if, when in Newport, you had to rent a car to eat a lobster.<BR><BR>Don't be offended, Sheila. It's just my weird sense of humor.

Sheila Apr 22nd, 2002 10:17 AM

Thanks Alex. I was thinking maybe we could get to Newport by taxi from Providence. The only place we have been in the east is New York and we used local transportation.<BR> You are right, chuckle. I reread my title and it did sound really dumb. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain.

water Apr 22nd, 2002 10:27 AM

There is a ferri that operates a few times a day to take people from Providence to Newport. I've heard that it's a nice ride. Public transportation in Rhode Island isn't so great.

alex Apr 22nd, 2002 10:31 AM

That ferry sounds nice - I bet it is really scenic. I think there is also train service and bus service. I just went on www.visitnewport.com and www.gonewport.com and there is some good info on there. There is also a very small airport in Newport but I have no idea how much a flight into that airport would cost. Newport is about a 45 minute drive from Providence (about 30 miles) so you may want to go on the TF Green airport website and see if there are any shuttles or quoted rates for a cab because I think that a cab might get very expensive. I would definitely check into the ferry - the coast is so beautiful there.

Dick Apr 22nd, 2002 10:37 AM

Not dumb, Sheila, just humorous - and haven't we all done something similar?<BR><BR>You are not alone - with apologies to the self-appointed Fodor police because this is clearly not travel-related, here's a list I was sent of alleged actual headlines from newspapers:<BR><BR>Include Your Children When Baking Cookies<BR>Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over<BR>British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands<BR>Teacher Strikes Idle Kids<BR>Clinton Wins on Budget, but More Lies Ahead<BR>Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe Told<BR>Miners Refuse to Work After Death<BR>Stolen Painting Found by Tree<BR>Two Sisters Reunited After 18 Years at Checkout Counter<BR>War Dims Hope for Peace<BR>If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last a While<BR>Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges<BR>Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead<BR>Man Struck by Lightning Faces Battery Charge<BR>New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group<BR>Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft<BR>Kids Make Nutritious Snacks<BR>Chef Throws His Heart into Helping Feed Needy<BR>Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half<BR>New Vaccine May Contain Rabies<BR>Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors<BR>Iraqi Head Seeks Arms<BR>Is There a Ring of Debris Around Uranus?<BR>Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jay Walkers<BR>Drunk Gets Nine Months in Violin Case<BR>Prostitutes Appeal to Pope<BR>Enraged Cow Injures Farmer with Axe<BR>Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant<BR>Two Soviet Ships Collide; One Dies<BR>Never Withold Herpes Infection from Loved One<BR>Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures<BR>Ensfield Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide

George Apr 22nd, 2002 12:05 PM

As this is roaming far afield, I must contribute my favorite double newspaper headline (from his first inaugural): Nixon in a Joking Mood; Balls Too Tight for Dancing<BR><BR>The editor, bless his soul, saw nothing amiss until it was pointed out to him.

LCB Apr 22nd, 2002 01:24 PM

I can't attest to the current lobster prices but you might want to rent a car, if you can get reasonable rates. for some mobility. As previously mentioned, the public transportation leaves a lot to be desired. While everything in the downtown Neport area is close, other areas worth visitng are fairly spread out. (You didn't mention how long you were staying). Also, if you wanted to go the the beach, one of the better beaches in the vicinty is in Middletown, the next town over, and is known as '2nd Beach'. The public beach in Newport, 1st beach always has a lot of red seaweed and is smelly. It could be a long walk, depending on where you stay or you could take a cab. Did you think about perhaps visiting Boston? The public transportation system is great.

John Apr 22nd, 2002 01:35 PM

If you are flying into Providence, there is a shuttle from the airport called "The Newport Shuttle." THey have a desk near baggage claim; however, recommendations are probably a good idea during the summer. I think the fare is about $20/person each way. It is convenient and they will take you to your final destination in Newport.<BR><BR>ONce in Newport, you really only need a car if you are staying off the beaten path. ALso, there are several taxis. Do beware, though...I went to high school in Newport and it always seemed to me like cabs were somewhat pricey (I live in NYC now, and still think Newport cabs were expensive).

alex Apr 22nd, 2002 01:51 PM

One thought if you decide to rent a car, many of the B&B's (like the Captain Preston House) have free parking. We booked Budget's $19.99 Ford Ranger special and they were, of course, out of Rangers so we got a brand new Santa Fe which was quite nice.

eman Apr 22nd, 2002 07:22 PM

Place for Lobster in RI is Nordic Lodge-located in charlestown--They have an all you can eat buffet of lobster, crab, clams, shrimp & tons of other food. Haven't been but I have friends that rave about the place. I believr they have a web site

Ariela Apr 23rd, 2002 07:04 AM

Being a former Newport resident who has gone back without a car, I would definitely suggest the rental. You can get around downtown and the most popular uninteresting beach without one, but you'll see and enjoy more with one. Not sure about the lobster . . .