Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How are some of you getting the Renassiance Downtown Cleveland for 55 a night on priceline?

Search

How are some of you getting the Renassiance Downtown Cleveland for 55 a night on priceline?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you know that it won't give you some other hotel? I've never used priceline before, but I really want to stay at the Renaissance...
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:44 AM

If you really want to stay at the rtenaissance you nust book directly through them or through some other means that guarantees that you'll be staying there. I just stayed at the Atlanta Airport Renaissance - we paid $41 per night plus the PL fees and taxes. Best direct booking price through the Renaissance website was $89.95 weekend special. Expect a simlar disparity in Cleveland but the whole resaon PL is cheap is because it's a crapshoot.

In August 2002 I stayed in Seattle downtown and got the Elliott Grand Hyatt (which everyone was getting for a 4* hotel downtown at that time - it was a new Hyatt and was having occupancy issues during its first year). I bid 4* for Seattle again this past Spring and really hoped for the Hyatt. I got the Vintage Park instead - oh well. It turned out to be a delightful small hotel with a great staff and spacious, comfy rooms. It's hard to go wrong with a 4* hotel on PL unless you're incredibly picky about your lodgings.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:24 AM

There were some posts about this if you do a quick search. I think the girl's name was Wendy and she put in downtown 4* and got the Renaissance. She told someone else to do it and they got it also for $55. Of course, there are no guarantees on Priceline. Good luck. Let us know if you get it.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:29 PM

If you go to biddingfortravel.com,you can see a list of the most used hotels by PL.It also has replies from people,and how much they bid.PL only has one 4* hotel in Cleve.,the Renassiance,and most people get it for a bid of 55 or $65.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:40 PM

Be careful, there's a difference between the lists on BFT and what you might get on PL. To answer the OP's question, technically you DON'T know you won't get some other hotel.

BFT has no official connection with PL and depends entirely on bidders' reports for generating its lists, which therefore can be incomplete or obsolete. The BFT site issues plenty of warnings -- hotels get added by PL all the time (and presumably also dropped, though that's harder to detect). And once in a while PL will change the * category of a listed hotel.

But despite that caution, yes, you can usually rely on BFT's lists for generating bidding strategies.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

89.95 ? wow thats good. THe weekend rate for the cleveland one is about 110 or 120, I forget which, one of those too. About fifty dollars cheaper than during the week though.

Thanks for the advice, I definitely want the Renaissance so I won't bother with priceline then.