Reload this Page >

Hiking to the lava flow is not an easy walk -- and can be dangerous

Old Feb 27th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl..._lava_flow.DTL

Be prepared if you want to go. And be fit, too!
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 07:44 PM

And some dummies want to get so close they can feel the intense heat - and who knows what other mishaps might ensue if the local authorities didn't try to keep people at a safe distance? People have stepped on lava rock they think is solid and have fell into a hole getting burned, etc.

I would rather take a helicopter and see it from overhead.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 06:45 AM

It all depends on where the flow is and how it is flowing. In 2005 the flow was in the park, with thick viscosity. We walked to within a foot of the lava. The lava was budding about 6 inches every two minutes. Oh and a ranger was there watching all the time. The ranger even sent us (and only us) over a small ridge to a large lava flow that was not moving but radiated sufficient heat to catch wood on fire. It was so very primal. It was one incredible experience.

Again, it all depends on the location and lava. I will add one proviso, if the authorities say do NOT get close as they advise today, I would not violate their orders.

Bill
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM

I really really hate the SF Gate Hawaii articles. They are written by tourism promoter and are rarely timely. Hard to understand why they are posted when they are.

The access to the lava is so variable that one should not use just a single article, probably written three years ago, for reference.

Currently, there is no lava flow that has any land access. Any activity is only visible by flights/helicopter.

It is crucial to check the conditions to see what is actually going on:

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activi...aueastatus.php

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...ii_Hawaii.html
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Gee - lava m ight be dangerous? Who would have thought it?
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM

We did it a few years ago and thought it was amazing.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Well some people seem impervious to the stuff. I was hiking to Chain of Craters Road from Apua Point. I was about three miles from the road on the trail crossing an old flow probably the 1971 or 1972 flow. In the middle of this path was a boot sole print memorialized in the harden lava. You could clearly see the boot label and one could almost read it. It was weird.

Bill
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM

wbp: Glad you are mindful of the dangers and appreciate your hiking reviews.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 12:29 PM

The month before we were there several years ago,ELEVEN ACRES of the hardened lava that people had walked on fell into the ocean. Fortunately, no one was on it at the time it fell.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 03:16 PM

the rangers work very hard to keep lava viewing as accessible as possible in a continuing change of lava events. There advice should never be ignored.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 05:07 PM

Tomsd, contrary to what some people may think, backpackers and wilderness hikers are not thrill seekers. Rather, we are very confident of our abilities to coexist with the wilderness. Coexistence can only occur when one knows his/her limitations and has a working knowledge of the wilderness area he/she plans to visit.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 05:17 PM

wbp: Just guessing - but you be in the minority of those tourists dumb enough to want to run out and get up close and personal with a lava flow. Hey - I grew up camping (before it was called backpacking and wildneress hiking - and there were always some tenderfoots getting lost in the forests.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

First of all, the article was not written three years ago. I would think if the writer is promoting Hawaii tourism he/she would not even bring the subject up.

Second, it's good to remind the newer crop of Hawaii visitors about being careful around the lava flows. That's why I posted it here. YOU may be an old expert but this board is full of posts from people who have never been there before.

Third, even if the lava is not molten, the fact is that hiking on it is rough, the lava can be as sharp as coral, and there is no sun, and it is hot (the weather). Hiking out without proper equipment like hats and water and good shoes can be hazardous. You can get overheated very quickly there. I have seen people in flip-flops out there, and if they should fall they will get nasty scrapes and cuts.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Gosh, I didn't know I was old.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 09:24 AM

Some of the best advice we got when walking over the lava (maybe 1/2 mile or so; not a long hike) was to wear gloves (the heavy, working kind). That way, if we had to reach out, our hands would be protected.

When we went, the lava was still flowing into the ocean, and we walked out onto the lava about an hour before sunset. After dark, we could see clearly where the lava was flowing into the ocean. We then walked back (using flashlights). This was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 09:34 AM

Samsaf- I also walked out on the lava many years ago and thought it was a very cool experience, saw the lava flowing into the ocean also. In retrospect, I guess it was not the smartest thing to do but there were no rangers or signs telling us not to do it and we were young so off we went. We did not go at night though. Good idea to wear gloves- and also suggest think soled shoes- there were a couple of spots where we could feel the warmth through our shoes.