Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Houston, Tx restaurant near Galleria (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/houston-tx-restaurant-near-galleria-573347/)

jfikar Nov 28th, 2005 02:36 PM

Houston, Tx restaurant near Galleria

My family and I are going to be staying near the Galleria for New Year's Eve for a bowl game and need recommendations for restaurants. We would like something casual for New Year's Eve close by the Doubletree Hotel and Suites Galleria where we can make a reservation. Any other suggestions for other evenings would be great too. We always eat at Goode's for seafood, but I don't want to drive very far on New Year's Eve night from the hotel. Thanks!

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 02:56 PM

You are about 5 - 10 minutes from one of my favorite restaurants in Houston. The Melting Pot is on Westheimer near Chimney Rock. I think it would be a terrific place to ring in the New Year. If you are wine drinkers, there is a large selection. If you are going with 4 or more, I would expect dinner would take 2 - 3 hours depending on how rapidly you cook your meat.

When we go, we go all out and order the cheese, salad, entree and chocolate fondue. If I had to leave any of the courses out, I'd ditch the salad. Everything I've had there is superb. My favorite meat selection is the terriyaki tenderloin. My favorite dessert is the turtle. (I'm licking my lips just thinking of it!)

http://www.meltingpot.com/houstontx/home.html

I would recommend you make a reservation.

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 02:57 PM

In the Galleria you will find the Cheesecake Factory. That is always a family pick since everyone can find something that they like there. If you are going with a large group, send a person ahead to get a table. They don't take reservations.

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:01 PM

If you feel like a great picnic (outdoors or in your hotel room!), head to Eatzi's on San Felipe at Post Oak. The sandwiches are worth the hour drive required for me to go there. I love the bone bread. The 3 inch is easily large enough for the heartiest appetite.

You can get all sorts of prepared dishes from the Chef's Case and they are sold by the pound and some by an "each" basis.

Desserts and freshly baked breads are divine.

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:06 PM

The Pappas' chain of restaurants has opened a Greek restaurant (Yia Yia Mary's) that fits the bill for casual at Loop 610 and San Felipe. Be sure to get the potato and garlic dip w/ pita chips for an appetizer.

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:07 PM

Kenny & Ziggy's is good if you are looking for a NY style deli. (I do prefer Eatzi's though.)

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:09 PM

I've not been, but a friend highly recommend's Mark's for lunch. I think it is more of the upscale dining establishment.

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:11 PM

If you decide for a real splurge while you are here and are willing to drive an hour, go to Chez Nous in Humble. It is quite close to Bush IAH if that helps you locate it. The restaurant is frequently rated as #1 French in the Houston area. Nothing there disappoints.

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:12 PM

Getting back to the Galleria area, Americas serves fabulous South American cuisine. I've only been at lunch and nice casual was fine then. I'd inquire about dress for the evening. If you go there, enjoy the chimichurri (sp) sauce w/ some plantains for me!

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:17 PM

About 15 - 20 minutes away is my favorite steakhouse in Houston. In my opinion, Taste of Texas serves up the best steak. It is on I-10 between the Sam Houston Tollway and Gessner. Their baked potato soup is deeeeeelish!

On a lesser price range, Saltgrass serves good (but not exceptional) steaks too. They are on I-10 between Blalock and Bingle. Their spinich/ artichoke dip is my favorite appetizer.

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:21 PM

Fogo de Chao on Westheimer is a Churrascaria. If you have meat eaters who can never get their fill, this is the place to go. Don't get "weighed down" by the salad bar! Hold out for the good stuff. I really liked the beef with the garlic sauce.

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:23 PM

Michaelangelo's on Westheimer (headed towards downtown) serves spectacular Italian food. I wouldn't put it in the casual dining category although it isn't "too dressy."

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:25 PM

If you are looking for terrific pizza, head to Star Pizza. The decor will impress no one but the pizza will definitely impress your tastebuds!

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:40 PM

If you would consider breaking away from Goode Company for seafood, try my favorite - King Fish Market. There are two locations in town and I recommend one of everything! They have a very inventive menu if you are interested in some unusual grilled items. They also have a very Atkin's friendly menu.

I especially like the grilled shrimp or grilled scallops. If you aren't accustomed to spicy sauces, you might ask for it on the side. A small amount of their sauce goes a long way.

A friend of the family who always dines on "expense account money" said that she will lose some of her more expensive restaurants and go there instead! The prices are around $15-20 for entrees at dinner. They also have a well priced lunch menu.

Creme brulee is not to be missed here. (Funny that I mention creme brulee and Atkins in one post!)

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:42 PM

If you have kids travelling with you, they will enjoy going to Dave & Busters or Jillian's. Actually, big kids will enjoy going to play here too!

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 03:44 PM

If you want more detailed information on the restaurants I've suggested, check out

www.citysearch.com and search by name or neighborhood.

If there is something special you would like to know, let me know. I'm a dining out junky!

Statia Nov 28th, 2005 04:39 PM

I can second Mark's as a wonderful dining experience. I've also heard a lot about Chez Nous, but have yet to go there myself.

Statia Nov 28th, 2005 04:43 PM

moldyhotels, I hadn't thought of Michaelangelo's in years. What a great place! My DH and I had our very first Valentine's dinner there about 14 years ago. I'm glad to hear they are still going strong. :)

moldyhotelsaregross Nov 28th, 2005 04:48 PM

Statia -

Do you see any restaurants on my list that you would remove?

Statia Nov 28th, 2005 05:07 PM

Not at all. I haven't tried ALL of them, but I've tried most and have heard good things about the rest.

I was wondering about Goode & Company, though. Although I used to live practically down the street from them, I'm not a huge barbecue fan and have only eaten there a couple of times. Has their food gone downhill? For barbecue fans, that is? You mentioned seafood with them...is that another location? One other than Kirby?