Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Houston Residents I need a little HELP! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/houston-residents-i-need-a-little-help-241596/)

suzyq Jul 20th, 2002 03:39 PM

Houston Residents I need a little HELP!

Might have to spend quite a bit of time at the Baylor College of Medicine in the coming months. Could some kind soul please let me know what type of public transportation is available in the area. Is it safe at night? Do you know of any "weekly rate" type lodging in the area such as Budget Suites or Homestead?

Paul Jul 20th, 2002 04:38 PM

Public transportation in Texas? Nothing you want to have to depend on, especially late at night.

sister Jul 20th, 2002 05:21 PM

Houston has a bus system--no such thing as a light train system there. I don't think the area you mention is "safe" at night--certainly wouldn't take a stroll when the sunsets. You can search on Expedia for "Hotels near addresses" and see what you can find. Don't forget to mention you will be at the hospital and if they have a patients rate.

Statia Jul 21st, 2002 07:39 AM

suzyq:<BR><BR>There is a Homestead Village Suites in the medical center area (just off loop 610 and Fannin).<BR><BR>Sorry I can't be of more help in the area of public transportation. I know there is a bus system in Houston...that's about it, really.<BR><BR>Might be best to have your own car for errands and dining (that's what I would do), although you'll have to pay daily to park at Baylor. There isn't a whole lot in that immediate vicinity within walking distance, but plenty within driving distance.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>

cant breathe Jul 21st, 2002 09:29 AM

Remember to bring your respirator. Houston is the most polluted city in the US.<BR><BR>www.ghasp.org

Statia Jul 21st, 2002 04:02 PM

suzyq:<BR><BR>I forgot to add that some hotels in the med center area have a shuttle to and from the area hospitals, if that might be of help to you.<BR>

Houstonian Jul 21st, 2002 04:50 PM

Remember to bring a really big troll-swatter in case you run in to GHASPer. Everything is bigger in Texas, trolls included, although narrow minds abound.

Sharon Jul 21st, 2002 07:20 PM

Hi suzyq,<BR><BR>I lived in the Houston area for over 22 years and there is an excellent bus system. There should be a courtesy booth with someone to help you navigate the bus system.....with routes and bus numbers. Also they will be able to help you locate lodging close by. I would not recommend walking about at night. <BR><BR>The Houston Zoo is close by and there is an art museum and several other things right there close together. When my son was in the hospital I spent many a day in the park and zoo. I hope this helps. If you need more info please feel free to email me.<BR><BR>~Sharon

ttt Jul 22nd, 2002 03:28 AM

topping for suzy