Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Houston Mini-Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/houston-mini-trip-report-749349/)

moneygirl Nov 18th, 2007 04:54 PM

Houston Mini-Trip Report

I was in HOuston last week for business and although I didn't really sightsee... I do have info to share regarding places to stay and a restaurant where I had a great steak... or rather my friend did... and I got a few bites!

The Lovett Inn: If you need to stay in Houston or live there and need a place to recommend to visitors... this place was wonderful! Very quiet, unpretentious and relaxing...if I ever return to HOuston, I'll try to stay here again. Just a few minutes from the Galleria and Downtown... a short drive to the Memorial Park area.(Translation: Close to shopping and close to restaurants!)

I staryed in the Lovett Room and my jacuzzi tub, balcony patio and large sitting room was all put to good use during my stay.

The continental breakfast was more than enough each day.. they actuallyl have food available 24/7 so it's always easy to get a piece of fruit, toast or beverages at any time.

The innkeepers were a delight and very helpful with directions and my one special request was taken care of the same day.

I was more than comfortable here... I felt pampered... and I only left because I had reservations for the weekend at ...

The Houstonian: This is a completely different experience... a modern, somewhat dated hotel... but has it's own perks!

I was on the third floor and it felt like I was staying in a treehouse! The view out my window was beautiful and I turned a chair around so I could read and look out at the leaves and the vines. Very restful.

The service here was incredible, room service was better than average and the spa is incredible!

I had a sea salt body scrub and a aromatherapy massage from Jennifer... who has been there 8 years... and she was the best! I need to plan a trip back soon!

Ok, the restaurant with the famtastic 5 oz filet was Vincents! I'm not completely sure exactly where it is but it was together with two other restaurants on the same property... one had live music outside, one looked very casual and Vincents had a bit more beef on the menu. It was the most tender steak I've had in a long time, very garlicky... so good I almost wished I could have sent my shrimop and scallops pasta back! :)

HOuston is a wonderful city and I had a great time. Becker's BOoks was another treat... could've spent a whole days browsing through their shelves.

Texans are nice!

P_M Nov 18th, 2007 05:00 PM

moneygirl, I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip to Houston. I think it's a great city with a lot to do. And yes, we Texans are always nice to other nice people. :-)

PS Next time come to Austin. :-D

moneygirl Nov 18th, 2007 05:15 PM

We missed you P_M!!

Austin... next time... for sure!!

volcanogirl Nov 18th, 2007 06:14 PM

Vincent's - yum; it's a Mandola restaurant - I think that family owns about half the restaurants in Houston, and they are all good. Glad you had fun! This is the second rec. I've read on the board recently for the Lovett Inn. I will definitely recommend it to friends and family who come to visit.

moneygirl Nov 19th, 2007 05:30 AM

volcanogirl: I was the one who recommended The Lovett Inn to Marusha... the other poster! (I hadn't been there yet but it sounded like what she needed!) I was SO happy to hear that it worked well for her group and I was thrilled when I got there and found it perfect for me!

(I had a friend go by and check out the area before I made my reservation.) Would have liked to see all the rooms.. but I didn't get the chance.

Still thinking about that steak! :)

volcanogirl Nov 19th, 2007 09:29 AM

mg, funny! I thought "this Lovett Inn is becoming really popular" - LOL! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. :)