Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

House to rent on the Beach...for a "Big Chill" Reunion?

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 03:23 PM
queen

I am trying to find a house to rent for a week on the beach. We are planning a reunion. There will be 3 couples and 2 kids(10 and 8). Va. is the mid point for us.

If anyone can recommend something....or even a place that has homes, not hotels, where I should be looking, I would really appreciate it!

Thank You!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 03:56 PM
BJ

Hopefully, you will get recommendations for specific Virginia beach cities.
Until then, do the following: use my favorite search engine: Google

1. www.google.com
2. type in search phrase: virginia beaches
3. You'll get a listing of them to read about and see what sounds interesting.

Then, use Google to search for "vacation rentals" (that's your search phrase preceded by the city name). Example:

1. www.google.com
2. virginia beach vacation rentals

You'll get various websites that offer vacation homes available for rent.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 09:33 AM
Gail

Definitely go a little further south to the beaches of North Carolina- Duck, Corolla or Nags Head. As a Virginian, the only people who go to Virginia Beach are Canadians who don't know any better! Lots of realty companies do rentals, from small to mansions!

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 09:35 AM
Gail

Oops- meant "farther"!!

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 10:04 AM
S

I've never been to the beach along the Virginia coast, but will second the suggestion to head to the Outer Banks. LOVE that area. You can get as remote as you want - or as close to the restaurants as you want. Here's an address to that lists all (?) Outer Banks realtors, from Hattaras to the houses accessible only by 4-wheel drive vehicles

http://www.aesir.com/OuterBanks/LodgingList.html

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 12:52 PM
xxx

If you want to go to Virgina Beach, DO NOT go at Labor Day weekend. It's a reunion of Black Greek Fraternities. If you remember your college days and what the frat parties were like, think a million times bigger.

The outer banks of NC is very calm and serence in the fall. Rates for fantasic homes go down and the weather is beautiful and the crowds are gone. Well, not deserted, but less than July.

If you really want Virginia, try the eastern shore. With Assateague and Chintateague (wild horses) a good outing away from the beach is available.

Enjoy your reunion.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 03:38 PM
jo ann

Hi ~ you don't mention when you are trying to go ~ since the kids are school age, I would guess spring break or next summer.
We live in Richmond VA and have friends as far north as NJ and NY that love the Outer Banks.
We had used the Duck/Corolla areas (N.C. outer banks) several years in a row. I would recommend that if you head there, go to Duck or Corolla (the northern section of the barrier island). The houses are newer, lots and lots of fun easy restaurants (Duck Deli has the greatest carry-out for barbecued chickens with side dishes, ribs, whatever), so much fun. The island is quite narrow there, so the ocean is front-side but the back bay is shallow, fun for crabbing or renting small sailboats. Great beaches that are not very crowded, since the houses are well spaced.
Downside to the OB: try to avoid a Saty to Saty rental, or if you have one aim to be on the island by 10 am absolute latest. Due to necessity to cross bridge, hours and hours can be lost on the two lane roads leading to the one bridge.
Another idea: if Va is your mid-point, look further down in NC also. For the last several years we have rented on Bald Head Island, just offshore from Wilmington NC. It takes us only about 2 extra hrs over the Outer Banks to get there. Neat item: you leave the car on the mainland. Every house comes with golf carts (2, if you rent a 4 bedroom house) and maybe some bikes. Totally safe, to the point that the kids in the trip have lots more freedom than in other spots (traffic in the OB for instance usually makes it impossible to ride bikes). Incredible opportunities for nature walks, if you get the energy ~ we tend to alternate between vegging and hopping in the golf carts to explore or head to the sunset.
Anyway, it's a great spot, houses are more reasonable than in Duck/Corolla (and availability is better too).
Good luck!