Reload this Page >

Questions about Maui....

Search

Questions about Maui....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 07:09 AM
Angie

Questions about Maui....

We are going to Maui at teh end of this month and I would like to get some unput from people who ahve been there. Please be patient as I will try to make this short, but I have many questions.
We have booked a 2 bedroom condo at the Maui Eldorado Resort- is this a nice property?
Also, we are planning on going to the Old Lahaina Luau- any comments/thoughts from anyone who has been? We chose traditional seating so we could be up front where our 4 year old can see- good idea or not?
Any thoughts about a snorkeling trip to Molokini? We are thinking about the Maui Princess trip.
ANY info about the Road to Hana would also be nice- I ahve hear that this is a very long drive (we'll be tkaing our rental car) bnut well worth it and to also go beyond Hana to the 7 pools. Is this true?
This is all the ideas we've had so far besides the norm-shopping and going to the beach- any MUST DO ideas you have?
Also, if anyone could tell me of other things that would interest a 4 year old- that would be great!!
Thanks for your patience in reading this- I have done all kinds of research, but I think it's best to hear first hand! ANY suggestions/information would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 08:15 AM
Angie

Oops! Sorry my words were so jumbled- I was in a hurry!

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 06:18 PM
annemarie

My condo ratings book gives the El Dorado a 7+out of 10.Condos were built in the early 70's. That's all I know. Feel free to contact if any more quetions.

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 07:21 PM
TOM

the hyatt regency has a wildlife tour of their lobby every tues. &thurs and another day but I don't know which day. A four year old would like it. They have parrots, penquins, swans and some other interesting animals to see. There is an aquarium on the island that is fantastic.
Snorkeling is good off black diamond beach.
the road to hana is interesting but a long ride for a four year old.
the island is beautiful the people are very friendly
ENJOY YOURSELF!!!!!!

Old Aug 12th, 1998, 01:22 PM
Angela

I would definitely go to the 7 Sacred Pools. It might be best to get there very early as it is crowded later. On the road to Hana, make sure you get out and see the sights on the way so your four year old doesn't get cranky. Go to the pools, they are beautiful, lovely to swim in, and just plain neat!

Old Aug 12th, 1998, 06:59 PM
Debbie

Ask the local folk how there rain has been recently; if they have not had much rain, the 7 sacred pools may well be 7 sacred mud holes and the hundreds of waterfalls that make the drive so beautiful will be dry. Have been to Maui 3 times, and always go to Lindbergh's grave, just past Hana for a spectacular view. Do keep your 4 year old out of the chapel if others are in there meditating - it is open to all who come. If you do go, stop for lunch at GardenLand where you can send plants home that are healthy and have a 3 star lunch for a one star price. It is about 5 miles before Hana on the right hand side. You can let your child swim on the Hana Beach - just take the extra towels with you. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more. Aloha!

Old Aug 12th, 1998, 07:04 PM
Dayle

I'm surprised no one has mentioned going up to Haleakala! It's an amazing sight and a great view of the island. You will probably be driving up through the clouds. I have heard sunrise from the top is awesome, but that would really be an early rising for your 4 year old. Might also suggest a 4 x 4 rental car so you can go around the unpaved part of the island.

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 08:03 PM
Rick

Just returned from maui 2 weeks ago..To answer some of your questions..The road to Hana is a great drive, although an ALL day trip..if you go, get the
cassette audio tour..we got ours at the shell station at the intersection of the Hana hwy in Kahului. $20 bucks, but you get a coupon for some water and pop..it is very informative, and tells you
about neat things to see alone the way..As mentioned before though..if it has not been raining for awhile, some of the falls are dry,,Take LOTS of film for your camera, the views are awsome!!!!!
Seven sacred pools is worth the drive all by itself i feel,,Your 4 year old will love it!But
it is VERY deep in spots..Great spot for some cliff diving..
About Molokini,..and this is just my opinion, unless you scuba dive, there's better places to snorkel..and its free..the area around Black Rock is
good..Black rock is right below the Sheriton in Kaanapali resort..another good area is in the Kapalua area..Honolua Bay is great!!!..
As mentioned before, the drive to the volcano is worth the time, very scenic..
And the drive up the Iao valley to see the Iao needle is a nice way to kill a couple hours..
One last thing..shopping...LAHAINA!!!!! The neatest town...go in the late afternoon..
catch the sunset..always the highlight of our trips there.. Hope this helps

Aloha...

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 11:01 PM
debbie

Hi. just a few more suggestions for your little one. there's the Maui Ocean Center. the Tropical plantation, and the sugar train. the little one should enjoy these, as you will too.

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 12:37 PM
Cassie

Don't know about a 4 year old, but my favorite thing on Maui was the horseback riding in Haleakala. Went with a group called Pony Express. Was $125 per person for 1/2 day ride including lunch but it was the most incredible scenery down in the crater. Easy walking ride for adults even if you have never ridden before. Make sure and take a sweatshirt and long pants up to Haleakala. At 10,000 feet, it's chilly up there. You can email Pony Express at [email protected]

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 09:37 AM
sandra

We went to Maui in July 98. All the guide books say that the old Lahaina Luau is the best and they're right! We also chose traditional seating and were
kind of leery about it but they turned out
to be the best seats in the house! They
give you little pillow mats to sit on so
we weren't uncomfortable at all. the show is really authentic and entertaining. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! We stayed at the Hyatt Regency and
kind of checked out the show at their luau from afar and it didn't even come
close to the Old Lahaina.
Your son will probably enjoy a visit to the new Maui Ocean Center .

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 05:46 PM
Susan

My husband and I just returned last week from Maui. We had a wonderful time. We stayed 4 nights at the Four Seasons in Wailea, and 3 nights at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali. The Four Seasons is a much superior resort; however, it was nice to see two different parts of the island. The Old Lahaina Luau was great--we had traditional seating as well, and it was fun. We decided to do a snorkelsail on the Trilogy to Lanai, and we were very pleased. Everyone told us that Molokini was too crowded and too congested. The road to Hana was fun, but too long. We were gone 12 hours, and didn't see everything. Pretty views, but a long day. Would love to give more information. Feel free to contact.

Old Nov 11th, 1998, 12:28 AM
becky

Road to Hana is long and with numerous hairpin turns. It's a full day round trip excursion if you don't stay overnight in Hana. If you or your child are at all prone to carsickness, don't do it. Remember, kids aren't as impressed by spectacular scenery as we adults are. Our favorite shopping was at Kaahumanu Mall in Kahului. If you go to the Iao Valley (where the scenery is also beautiful--without the winding road) you will be right near that mall. It's a "local" mall, not many tourists as you will find in Lahaina; hope the great Liberty House is still there, much nicer than the one in Lahaina. Aloha.