Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotels Near Plaza in Santa Fe (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotels-near-plaza-in-santa-fe-319026/)

wildflowerpower May 20th, 2003 12:15 PM

Hotels Near Plaza in Santa Fe

I'm looking for a hotel near the Plaza below $200 per night. Does anyone have personal knowledge of the Inn of the Governors and Hotel Plaza Real? I'm trying to find the best deal for the price, but with some Santa Fe charm/ambience. A pool would be nice for my 9-year-old.

dpcta May 21st, 2003 06:45 AM

We've stayed at the Inn of the Governors. The location is great- within walking distance to everything. The hotel is very charming and has that southwest feel. The pool area is small but nice. Breakfast is included and is served in a small courtyard area. I would love to go back!

wildflowerpower May 21st, 2003 09:23 AM

Thanks so much for your response. I really want our first visit to Santa Fe to be a good (if not great)experience. Since the first part of our trip involves a lot of driving, this inn sounds like a charming place where we can kick back and relax for a few days.

Katrn May 24th, 2003 12:57 PM

I have stayed at Hotel St Francis and the Inn on the Alameda both of which are a short walk from the Plaza. The Inn on the Alameda is right at your budget limit but definitely worth it! The rooms are gorgeous and comfortable with a very SW feel. They also have a nice b'fast buffet and wine/cheese happy hour in the lobby every day. The Hotel St. Francis is a historic landmark although recently renovated. The decor is more European/traditional and very nice. It is probably a little less $$. I would recommend either/or both.

wildflowerpower May 27th, 2003 09:09 AM

I was actually considering Inn on the Alameda, but I mentally dismissed it after reading several comments about it being "romantic." Not that I don't like romance--I do. I was merely trying to be respectful of other guests who ARE looking for a romantic experience and might not appreciate having a younger child present. She's a very well manored child, but still a kid nonetheless, if you know what I mean. Do you think this would be a problem?

travleis May 27th, 2003 09:12 AM

Definitely NOT a problem. It's not THAT romantic. In fact, I wouldn't have chosen the word romantic for describing that hotel at all.

Strive May 27th, 2003 10:09 AM

Wildflowerpower,

Have you considered the Inn at Loretto? It's right off the Plaza and is a perfect example of a full-service hotel that has retained its southwestern feel and charm. It has a pool, good southwestern restaurant (Nellie's)room service, a nice lounge with a big fireplace and sizable rooms (many with views and kivas).

We have stayed here twice and would definitely go back again--wonderful place; great location.

Go to http://www.hotelloretto.com/ and take a look. You can get in for less than $200.

Strive

wildflowerpower May 27th, 2003 04:59 PM

Travleis: I'll definitely reconsider Inn on the Alameda, if they have any availability at this point.

Strive: As for Inn at Loretto, that was my very first inclination when I started looking, but I don't know where to find rates of less than $200. The lowest I found was $259 ($299 on I.A.L. website), and at that rate was turned off by the "cancellation and changes" small print. Do you know where I can find this hotel for less than $200?

Miranda May 27th, 2003 05:20 PM

I stayed at the Plaza Real many years ago. I do recall liking it well enough and it did have some Santa Fe charm, but I don't remember many details. At the time, it was a good value for the money. Maybe it still is. And the location was most convenient. I don't recall it had any extras like a pool, although I do remember a room where breakfast was served. Maybe someone else has been there more recently who can better help you.

Vicky May 28th, 2003 08:48 AM

I just returned from a stay at Plaza real. No pool. Nice hotel but nothing worked!! And i'm not fussy and didnt' complain till i checked out then told them there were a few problems they might want to have maintenance look at -- cold water knob on sink spun around freely and didn't turn on. Toilet didnt' completely stop flushing unless you took the lid off and gave the lever with the ball attached a shove upward (loose screw), the coffee pot wouldn't drip - and they didnt' have air on so it was hot- I didn't know it wasn't on and had it turned on but it never got cool!! Maid never gave me more toilet paper - had to ask at the desk and no fresh shampoos, lotion etc during my stay. It WAS very convenient - close to Plaza but I only stayed there cause it was $119/night for 2 nights then $89 for 2 and other places were booked up. OH - check your bill - EVERYONE's bill was messed up - keep your paperwork that shows what the rate was that was promised cause they had to redo everyone's!

Strive May 28th, 2003 08:51 AM

Wildflowerpower,

The method I use to get better rates at hotels is to simply call them directly (NOT the 800 number). I would simply call them and say, "we are going to be staying in Santa Fe from ? to ? and are looking to stay either with you or at the Inn of The Governors. What kind of a deal can you give me on a room during that time."

If they're not full, believe me they will barter with you. If they are, then you've lost nothing for trying.

Hope this helps,

Strive

wildflowerpower May 28th, 2003 11:23 AM

Thank you all for your responses!

Vicky, your comments confirmed my apprehensions about Hotel Plaza Real. It seems to me your experience there was less than ideal.

Strive, I contacted Inn at Loretto, and the best they could do was $275, which was a reduction from $319. I called Inn on the Alameda yesterday and was also quoted a price of $275. I think at this point, I'll stick with Inn of the Governors, since I've received quite a bit of positive feedback now from several sources.

Time to move on and finish the rest of my planning. Speaking of which, if one had an extra day to spend in either Canyon de Chelly or Taos, which is the better choice? We plan to visit Acoma Pueblo and Chaco Culture N.H.P., so I'm thinking Canyon de Chelly, although worthwhile I'm sure, may be overkill on the exploration of indian ruins. Any thoughts?

Katrn Jun 7th, 2003 09:25 PM

Although you have already made up your mind about lodging I think you can negotiate a lower rate at Inn on Alameda. Its' great and not really romantic at all. I'm sure it could be with the right person but I was there single and it was wonderful!!

As far as the last question: I have not been to Chelly (its on my list) but I have been to Taos Pueblo. It is fairly small and will only take a few hours, 4 at max. It's a little touristy like you would expect but not too bad and the sites are interesting. I'm glad I went. They also sell gifts/wares as well. The biggest difference is that Taos is still a living pueblo, occupado, not ruins. There are a few historic things like the mission church and the cemetary, but otherwise it is lived in which makes it more unique. Hope this helps!

1Travelfan Jul 3rd, 2003 12:40 PM

Interested in this information--have reservations for Plaza Real off the Square--got what I thought was really good price compared to what is posted on their web site and other seach sites. But from some of comments--may be a bad bargain--We know there is no pool but we have other days booked at the El Rey which is a little bit funky but I think is manageable. Don't want to wait too long to make other arrangements--anyone have any recent information about the Plaza Real?

BeachGirl247 Jul 7th, 2003 02:43 PM

Hi,
About a day trip, Canyon de Chelly is too far to enjoy for a day, and Chaco Canyon, while is manageable for driving will take an entire day to visit (took us 2 days to really see everything), so I would stick with Taos. Its close and will be very enjoyable. I would save the other two for another visit when you have more time.

(FYI - a good cheap place close to the plaza with a pool is Garrett's Desert Inn - $111. Not full of Santa Fe charm but nice and clean and a block off of plaza)

Have a good trip,
Sheila

BeachGirl247 Jul 7th, 2003 02:47 PM

Hi,
About a day trip, Canyon de Chelly is too far to enjoy for a day, and Chaco Canyon, while is manageable for driving will take an entire day to visit (took us 2 days to really see everything), so I would stick with Taos. Its close and will be very enjoyable. If it were me I would save the other two for another visit when you have more time.

(FYI - a good cheap place close to the plaza with a pool is Garrett's Desert Inn - $111. Not full of Santa Fe charm but nice and clean and a block off of plaza)

Have a good trip,
Sheila

travellyn Jul 7th, 2003 03:22 PM

I agree with Beach Girl's comment that Canyon de Chelly is too far for a day trip, if that's what you were planning. Chaco Canyon is actually a little far if you aren't going to stay the night. (But didn't you post a question about motels in Cuba?) I don't know if you plan to visit Bandelier, but I'd recommend a visit there, too, if you can fit it in. I'd be hard pressed to choose between Bandelier and Taos Pueblo. Maybe you can decide this at the last minute, depending on the weather and how you're feeling about more tourist activities.

E Jul 7th, 2003 05:38 PM

This qualifies as beating a dead horse, but, I, too, would recommend the Inn on the Alameda. While our room was very cozy, I wouldn't call the property paricularly romantic, either--wonder why they insist on selling it as such? Something you should consider is that their breakfast is varied, delicious,and freshly prepared: egg dishes, quiches, stuffed croissants, baked goods, cereals and fruit are all served in a pretty dining room and included in the price of the room, making their rates a very good deal, generally. But: is there a pool? I can't recall, I'm afraid.