Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotels near MD Anderson Hospital (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotels-near-md-anderson-hospital-858994/)

bellhouse Sep 12th, 2010 06:19 AM

Hotels near MD Anderson Hospital

I'm going to MD Anderson for a second opinion next week. The Candlewood Suites sounds nice - anyone have personal experience there or would recommend another hotel? Thanks.

lucci Sep 12th, 2010 08:01 AM

I have been there and they have a hotel directly attached to the hospital.

PeaceOut Sep 12th, 2010 11:12 AM

There are lots of hotels nearby, because Rice U is there, too. If you are happy with the price, Candlewood suites is probably fine.

I also want to wish you well with your second opinion. MD Anderson is a great resource. My Mom was treated there many years ago, and she lived with melanoma for ten years, thanks to the care she received there.

DebitNM Sep 12th, 2010 06:47 PM

I have been to MDAnderson many times since 2007. I have always found the Rotary House the best place to stay. It is connected to the hospital and it is very convenient if you have time between appointments. The staff is amazing and the price is competitive. I highly recommend it.

{I don't think Candlewood is that close - is this the one?}

Candlewood Suites HOUSTON MEDICAL CENTER
10025 SOUTH MAIN STREET
Houston, TX

Seamus Sep 12th, 2010 06:51 PM

Ditto the Rotary House recommendation - can't get any more convenient, accommodations are good and even the restaurant is decent. <b>Big</b> plus is being able to walk to your appointment without having to deal with parking.

DebitNM Sep 12th, 2010 06:54 PM

I meant to add that I love MDAnderson! Great doctors, staff and I believe they saved my life. 3 + years and counting~~

bellhouse Sep 13th, 2010 08:04 AM

I hadn't thought to look at the MD Anderson website - just googled hotels. Thanks for the heads up on Rotary House - it looks very nice and being right there is a great plus! DH went to Johns Hopkins 6 years ago, and even though the hotel had a shuttle once you got to the hospital you were sort of stuck because there wasn't enough time off between things to call for the shuttle/etc.

follow_your_bliss Sep 15th, 2010 07:09 PM

I'm so glad someone else already recommended Rotary House--it really could not be more convenient, and it's very nice for the price. Last time I was there, we had a little kitchenette and flat screen tv for $120. I think DebitNM was the one who suggested it to me when my friend was first diagnosed and we have stayed there a number of times.

I have found that even if a hotel has shuttle, you have to call and wait. And MD Anderson sometimes schedules appts at night, when the shuttles stop running.

DebitNM Sep 15th, 2010 07:41 PM

"flat screen tv's" wow, that is a new thing. They had big old box tv's last time I was there. Not that I want to go back and check them out :)

bellhouse Sep 16th, 2010 07:35 AM

As I just posted under my question about restaurants and groceries, the rotary House was full so we are staying at a fairly close by Courtyard Marriott. It has a shuttle every 30 minutes, plus we are renting a car. Really sorry about the RH, but it was pretty last minute.

follow_your_bliss Sep 16th, 2010 10:40 AM

bellhouse, you can get on a waiting list. We have always gotten in when we've put our name on the list.

Also, at Courtyard by Marriott did you request the medical rate? They are usually better than the best online rate and are open-ended and cancellable (not sure that's a word). The medical rate is available if you are receiving treatment at an area hospital.