hotels Monterey/Carmel

Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

hotels Monterey/Carmel

We are looking at hotels for October. There are 5 of us so we get 2 rooms & would like the option of a rollaway or sofabed for one room. It would be nice for rooms to be under $150. I bid on Priceline a lot so we are used to nice rooms. But I am usually familier with the properties involved . A pool, free internet would be good, free breakfast a bonus but not necessary. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sep 4th, 2012, 01:13 AM

I stayed at the Casa Munras in Monterey at the end of July and can thoroughly recommend it. It ticks all your boxes except free breakfast and I am not sure about a rollaway. It is perfectly located for Fishermans Wharf, 10 minute walk, the free trolley to Cannery Row and Aquarium, 5 minute walk, and in the opposite direction down Munras the 101 entrance to 17 mile Drive. The staff are super friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the surrounding area, they have a Spa, excellent restaurant and pool onsite. The accomodation is 2 level motel style with parking outside the rooms. The rooms were spacious and clean with the added bonus of an open log effect gas fire, which we did not need as it was really hot when we went. There is also a Denny's across the street and a fine breakfast/diner called the Wild Plum, I think, which the hotel recommend ( it does get quite full so you need to be there early to grab a table). There is also a Peet's near the trolley stop. Hope this helps.
Sep 4th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

thanks Lynntigon! That is one of the places on my list so your response was very helpful. I will call & ask about the rollaway.
Sep 4th, 2012, 06:28 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express six years ago during a trip to Monterey. Here is their website:

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...ex/hoteldetail

They offer free parking and breakfast and the location was great...it was an easy walk to the Cannery/Wharf area and also the aquarium. I didn't check prices, but I did notice they have at least some rooms with two beds and a sleeper sofa, plus it looks like the rooms have been updated since we were there.
Sep 4th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Be sure to go to PassionFish and get early reservations for dinner. It was very good.

Also you must pay to drive on 18 mile drive but if you stop at Pebble Beach for a drink they will refund costs of drive.

The Montery Bay Inn is on bay with verandas overlooking expansive Bay view. Great if you like to just gaze out at ocean, watch for critters or go to sleep with the waves.
http://www.montereybayinn.com/
Sep 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM

My last dinner at Passionfish was just off the mark. The sauce on the veggies was so peppery, I couldn't eat them. The fish was superb and I ate every morsel. I mentioned the sauce to the waitperson and next thing I know, they compted my meal! I did not intend for them to do that as I ate all the fish. But that is top notch customer service.

Not sure but cost of drinks at Pebble Beach may be about the same or more as the fee to drive 17 mile drive!
Sep 4th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

You guys are way a head of me with restaurants! Any more suggestions? Also, does anyone have a rec for a whale watching boat tour?