Reload this Page >

Hotels In The San Francisco Bay Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 11:51 AM
Harry Rodgers

My family of 4 are going to the Bay Area on 8/1 for a week of vacation. We are interested in a hotel located generally in the center of the Bay Area to facilitate numerous day trips.
I would appreciate any suggestions for a hotel for which I would not "blow" the entire budget for just a room! A room around $100 @ night would be great!
But I won't stay in a dump to save a buck!!
H. Rodgers
Michigan

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 03:41 PM
kam

Try callilng the San Remo Hotel at 800-352-7365. You all might have to share a bath, but it is an old restored Victorian home of the Gianni family (founders of Bank of America) and is very conveniently located in North Beach---the Little Italy part of SF and close to cable cars and the Wharf. Another choice might be Travel Lodge at the Wharf--more touristy but reasonably priced. I'm assuming some of you are children and this has a pool and free parking. The Bay area is a big place--you don't tell me where you are planning day trips to so I am assuming you want to stay in SF.

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 11:59 AM
Bob

Beresford on Sutter in downtown SF is recommended by friend of mine. Also have a Hol Inn on the Wharf. Also a Residence Inn in Sunnyvale if you do not want to stay downtown. Rates are up here so $100 aint gonna go far.

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 06:28 PM
kam

I would second Bereford, but it is in a more business area of SF---near Moscone Center. Never would I recommend Sunnyvale which is 40+ miles south in the heart of the Silicon Valley. A tourist to SF does NOT want to stay in Sunnyvale, trust me on this!

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 10:56 PM
SFFranky

There are many nice places in San Francisco for under $100.00. I would definitely stay in San Francisco rather than down the peninsula. I live in Silicon Valley ( Los Gatos ) but would not recommend staying in the valley. It is nice but San Francisco is more central if you wish to visit the north such as Napa Valley etc. Plus there is much more of interest in San Francisco, You should allot some time for visiting Santa Cruz, Monterrey, and Carmel. Hotel rates are just as high if not higher in San Jose than San Francisco.

I suggest checking one of the on line hotel reservations system. The one that I use is:

"Travel Web" http://www.travelweb.com/index.html

They ususally offer cheaper rates and often have rooms when the hotel is quote "Sold out"

Good luck. You will love the Bay area. It has a lot to offer and San Francisco is one of the greatest cities in the world. Make sure that you visit Marin county ( Suasalito, Tiburon etc ). They are just north of the city across the Golden Gate bridge.

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 07:03 AM
Dr. Mike Perpall

Hi Harry,
I just returned from a week in San Fran. This trip we stayed in the Hotel David in the heart of the theater district in Union Square. The hotel is old but very clean,friendly and efficient. The rooms were small but if you're like our family(5) you use it very little. The BIG plus is the huge included breakfast!!! Anything you could possible want is on the menu and all great. I could send a scanned menu if you would like one. I highly recommend David's.
I have in the past also stayed at the Renoir on Market street. Bigger rooms and small continental breakfast and also nice and clean. David's is closer to the action especially the Cable Car line.
Write if you have more questions about things to see and places to eat.
Dr. Mike