Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotels in St Louis (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotels-in-st-louis-851397/)

jacylou Jul 25th, 2010 10:20 AM

Hotels in St Louis

Please help me choose between the Drury Inn in Forrest Park and the Drury Inn at the Arch. Which would be the better hotel for our sightseeing base? Thanks!

SusanCS Jul 25th, 2010 12:24 PM

I'd definitely opt for Forest Park. It's a really nice walking neighborhood with lots of things to do.

annesherrod Jul 25th, 2010 12:51 PM

I think the one near Forest Park is newer too.
At Forest Park:
Please do not miss the World Class zoo - free.
The Art Museum has a special exhibit -
http://www.slam.org/mourners/

The History museum has an exhibit from the Vatican - many of the items having never left the Vatican before.
Enjoy lunch at the Boat HOuse and rent a little boat and navigate the lake and canals from the 1904 Worlds Fair!
Great walking paths and you can rent bikes too.

The Science Museum is nearby.
Let me know if you need restaurant recs!

notbob Jul 25th, 2010 12:52 PM

The problem with the Drury near Forest park is that it really isn't close to Forest Park. It is severla blocks south of the park just off interstate 44 at Hampton Ave.

the downtown location would be close to other attractions and restaurants etc.

there are othere hotels but if you are looking at those two Drury hotels, i'd suggest the one downtown at the arch.

PeaceOut Jul 25th, 2010 03:11 PM

We have stayed at the Drury downtown and recommend it highly. Mostly because it is in a beautiful historic building.

loveyblue Jul 25th, 2010 04:23 PM

If you are going to attend a baseball game I would definetly recommend the Drury Plaza downtown. It is a great location to walk to the ballgame and driving to the zoo, etc would be easy from there.
We were just in St Louis and saw the Cardinals win two nights in a row!
Enjoy
loveyblue

Liz5959 Jul 26th, 2010 05:59 AM

I have to agree with notbob that the Drury Inn "near Forest Park" isn't really near Forest Park, it's very poorly named, although it is a brand new hotel.

If you have a car it would be easy enough to go to Forest Park from that Drury Inn to see some of the things Anne recommends, above. It would also be fairly easy to jump on I44 and get downtown.

What are you planning on doing here? That would help us determine which of these hotels, or a different one, would be the best for your stay. And when is your trip?

jacylou Jul 27th, 2010 07:09 AM

Thanks so much for all your comments!
We are on our trip right now, Mom, Dad and two daughters, 10 and 12. We are in Kansas City for two days and then on to St. Louis. We want to do mostly things the girls will enjoy. We have friends in St. Charles, so we will probably stop there first.
We've decided to stay at the Drury Inn at Forest Park. Seems a better fit for us.
Any help with ideas will be greatly appreciated. Are there any neat restaurants that the girls would enjoy?
Again, thanks so much for all your help!

nanecam Jul 27th, 2010 12:22 PM

Hope you are having fun on your trip!

Blueberry Hill or Fitz's on the Delmar Loop in University City are fun and definitely kid friendly. Blueberry Hill is a burger/beer institution. Fitz's is a small soda brewery, and on weekends you can usually see the soda being bottled on the line.

The Boathouse in Forest Park is great for families: Dining right outside, complete with big wood rocking chairs and paddle boats for rent.

Pappy's Barbecue in Midtown is great for lunch...food is excellent. Not sure about its weekend hours.

I've also heard good things about The Fountain on Locust...a restored soda fountain with a fairly extensive menu. It's in Midtown...sort of in an area that looks pretty industrial.

Since you are traveling with kids, you might want to check out City Museum downtown. It's very unique. Just look for the ferris wheel and the giant praying mantis on the roof. Ditto for the new CityGarden - a sculpture garden near Busch stadium with some excellent fountains for cooling off.