hotels in San Diego

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 12:54 PM
kgn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels in San Diego

We will be staying in San Diego for four days over New Year's. We have two kids ages 6&9 and like nice hotels. Where would you stay...the Four Seasons, Fairmont Miramar or the Loews Coronado Bay Resort?
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 02:06 PM

none of your choices are particularly well located. the four seasons is up in carlsbad, so unless you're taking the kids to legoland, you're 30-40 mins from and sd attractions. the miramar area is one big industrial park surrounding a marine air station (lots of loud thing abound!). it's only plus is it's within striking distance of la jolla (still 10-15 mins away). loews is still off the beaten path, 5-10 minutes from central coronado, and 10-15 from dowtown sd. of the three, i'd go with the loews. consider the marriott or hyatt in downtown for decent digs in a decent locale.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:00 PM

I agree with lizzard's assessment. The FS is waay up north and not on the coast itself. Loews' is nice enough but the location is inconvenient as you have to traipse back and forth across the bridge to get anywhere.
You might consider the Hotel Parisi (hotelparisi.com) in La Jolla or the Lodge at Torrey Pines (lodgeattorreypines.com). I haven't been in the rooms since LATP's major makeover, but reviews are good and the location is nice. It's not the Four Seasons, but it's better than the downtown SD hotels and Mission Beach hotels.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:11 PM

You do know that the Fairmont Miramar is not in San Diego, don't you?
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 09:24 PM

for the holiday season and the ages of your kids, I would stay at the Hotel Del Coronado. It is not quite the modern luxury of the Four Seasons or loews, but is charming and historic and the kids can enjoy the game room and safe downtown district nearby.

The beach and Glorietta bay will be too cold to swim, but still will be nice for exploring. Rent bikes or little surreys and ride around town, or drive to the Zoo and Balboa Park in less than 10 minutes. Dont' miss the merry-go-round with the gold rings out in front of the Zoo. You can also take the foot ferry from the bay end of Orange Avenue to the San Diego side and see the Star of India sailing ship (kids love this!)and various other maritime sites.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 11:38 PM
hsv

In the first place: The Fairmont Miramar is a great hotel in a great location in a wonderful Southern California beach community- the downside (at least for your purposes) is that this is Santa Monica, which by common perception is rather a suburb to L.A. than to San Diego...;-)
Talking a bout San Diego hotels, I would consider the Westgate (downtown, great service, no pool), the Hotel Del (in Coronado, better location than the Loews in my opinion, as it is on the wonderful beach instead of just further away from town on the bay as the Loews) or, if you should decide that you do not want to stay that close to downtown the Auberge Del Mar in Del Mar. La Valencia in La Jolla might be an option, too, although you might be taking chances at the room quality as I have gathered from other postings (I cannot confirm this personally, though).

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:40 AM
kgn
Original Poster

Thanks this is good info. One thought we will have a car and do not necessarily have to be right in the middle of the action. As long as there is a pool my kids willbe happy. Does this info change your thoughts at all?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:27 AM

Just to clarify a point that has been made twice: The Fairmont Miramar is not a San Diego option because it's in Santa Monica, 2 hours from San Diego. In the San Diego area, the Del is a nice, historic choice. The Loews is fine as well. Given the age of your kids, and their pool requirement, maybe something closer to Sea World...? Still, Coronado is only 15-20 minutes away from everything in SD, so what the hey.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:31 AM

Just be aware that the Hotel Del is not considered a luxury hotel by standards of the Four Seasons or Loews you mentioned. It is definitely historic and has a great location. But the rooms are a big letdown. Bringing them up to current luxury standards would easily cost tens of millions. This will have to be done eventually.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:55 AM

We stayed at the Loews in May with a 4 year old and really enjoyed it. They have a "kids only" pool. The sign says something to the effect that persons over the age of 18 must be accompanied by a child to enter. This was a cute kid friendly way to allow the other pool to be for adults. The drive from the Loews to SD attractions was not a real problem. It took about 15-20 minutes to the zoo, sea world, downtown or old town. There are 2 restaurants, the Market Cafe and Azure (or something like that). Children are allowed in Azure which is very upscale. I asked 4 or 5 different people to confirm this. That said, the food was actually almost as good at the Market Cafe and the environment was better for kids. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:58 AM
kgn
Original Poster

Robsmom:
Did you fell way out of it at the hotel.. It is 15 minutes away or was it no big deal. Some people make me think that I would be better off in San Diego itself.....what is your opinion on the pros and cons to the Loews?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Re Loews: The Loews only has a marina whereas the Del is beachfront. Also the Loews is not in walking distance to downtown Coronado for shops & dining. Have stayed at both several times and are great but think the location, beach at Del would be better if you may not return to SD again.