Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Merced, California

Hotels
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, there are hotels. What do you want to know??
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Just a nice hotel...not a flea bag one! Thx!
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hmmm. Haven't been there since 2006 on a college tour, and I don't recall there being any hotels in the City of Merced, per se. Lots of motels and inns. Best of the lot were the standard Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn & Suites, and Courtyard (Marriott). I'm partial to the Hampton Inns in California so even though I have not stayed in any of these properties, that would be my pic.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you just passing through? On your way to/from Yosemite?
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 04:52 PM

Not too many people stop in merced unless there's a pressing reason to - family, friends, business. Most people drive a bit further to somewhere more - ah - congenial.

time of year is also a factor - can be VERY hot during the summer.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 05:05 PM

Yes -- are you visiting friends/relatives, have a child at the UC, or are there for work? Those are one thing. But otherwise there is no earthly reason to stay overnight in Merced
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 09:03 AM

Only one person, Surfergirl, actually answered your question. There could be a number of reasons why you are planning to stop in Merced, but you should not be required to share those reasons with any who might be reading this thread in order to get a hotel recommendation.

I use tripadvisor for hotel reviews. And, like Surfergirl, I'm partial to the Hampton Inn chain because of their consistency. Here's the tripadvisor page for Merced.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDeal...tel-Deals.html
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 09:06 AM

Sorry. Sean_Williams answered while I was composing.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 03:13 PM

I have had good luck with Hampton Inns, Courtyard Marriots, and Holiday Inn Express in general - once in awhile one isn't up to snuff, but for the most part, these brands are good. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at any of them. And even when one isn't up to snuff, it has never been particularly bad, just not what it should be.

I do think that the question of "why Merced?" is reasonable - of course the OP doesn't have to answer - but lots of people make decisions about where to stay based on the map, but don't realize it isn't the best choice until someone asks the question.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 06:13 PM

I apologize if my post was unclear.

I'm not looking for specific, private information as to why you need to stay in Merced, such as "My grandmother has eight hens and they'll all be laying half a dozen eggs that night, so I HAVE to be in Merced..."

If you have a specific reason to stay in Merced, fine. I believe you've gotten some excellent recommendations.

Otherwise, if you have no specific reason to stay in Merced, then you could look for lodging in a "better" location.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was once in Oxford staying at a friend's house where they had 3 hens that laid two eggs (well, 2 laid one each) and my son learned that you had to "lift up the chicken's bum to find the egg". Although we hadn't gone to Oxford to experience that feat, for us urban city folks, it was a very cool and unique experience!

But we digress . . . .
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Tomfuller...yes we are on our way to Yosemite!
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 06:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are headed to Yosemite and don't want to arrive late, consider the BUG hostel near Midpines. http://www.yosemitebug.com/
They have a nice restaurant as well as a community kitchen with dining room. My DW and I enjoyed a small 2 bedroom cabin with the shared bathroom between the bedrooms (entrances off the front deck). There is a YARTS bus stop at the foot of the driveway with service to Yosemite and back. Yes it is about 40 miles to the Vally but far better than staying in Merced.
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:19 PM

Stinkerbelle: I'm pretty sure most of us assumed you were enroute to Yosemite. That's why we asked. And that is not generally a reason to stay in Merced.

Where are you driving from? That makes a difference where might be a better option. (and possibly a better route to the Park)