Hotels in Maui - Grand Wailea vs KeaLani

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 10:15 AM
Marie Tarpey

Hotels in Maui - Grand Wailea vs KeaLani

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip in July To Oahu and Maui. We will be staying at the Halekulani in Oahu, but can't decide between the Kea Lani and Grand Walai in Maui. I would appreciate any comments or thoughts on these hotels. Thank you - Marie

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 05:06 PM
annemarie

Okay...we stayed at the Kea Lani 4 years ago and loved it! Did not stay at the Grand Wailea but checked it out and it was gorgeous! Which ever one you choose, you are close enough to use the restaurants of each property.The CondeNast January issue rates hotels all over the world and this year they gave the Kea Lani a 87.2 and the Grand Wailea a 83.2. The break down was Rooms-KL-96%, GW-82%; Service-KL-86%, GW-83%; Food-KL82%, GW-75%; Location/Atmosphere-KL-92%, GW-96.4%; Activities-KL-80%, GW82%. You probably already know that the KL is a suite hotel, totally done in white(the suites), 2 tVS, coffee provided, micro, frig, bar sink, absolutely huge bathrooms, patios...beautiful!! Now you need to hear from those having stayed at the GW. I am under the impression you get more for your money at the Kea Lani because of the larger suites. We quite enjoyed Caffe Ciao downstairs with its cappucino, etc. cold gourmet salads, baking, sandwiches and in the evening brick oven pizza. The pool area is gorgeous- a quiet lap pool and a more elaborate pool area with cabanas, etc. The Grand Wailea, when we were there was more alive with kids because of the style of the pool area. Now to really confuse you...have you looked into the Four Seasons inbetweeen these 2 properties. I sent my friend there for her honeymoon and she said that this property made her honeymoon. No extra charge for the cabanas at the pool(40.00 a day at the KL), fitness centre included, tennis inc., snorkelling gear daily inc., as well as parking. This is the preferred place of Stallone and actually Schwarzenneger was there when Laura was.For what it is worth, but staying at the Halekulani I know that you want class. Now the FS rating was 89.2 with only the Lodge at Loele on Lanai with one point higher. The FS is supposed to have some of the best restaurants on Maui. Email me if you have further questions. Annemarie

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 05:07 PM
annemarie

Okay...we stayed at the Kea Lani 4 years ago and loved it! Did not stay at the Grand Wailea but checked it out and it was gorgeous! Which ever one you choose, you are close enough to use the restaurants of each property.The CondeNast January issue rates hotels all over the world and this year they gave the Kea Lani a 87.2 and the Grand Wailea a 83.2. The break down was Rooms-KL-96%, GW-82%; Service-KL-86%, GW-83%; Food-KL82%, GW-75%; Location/Atmosphere-KL-92%, GW-96.4%; Activities-KL-80%, GW82%. You probably already know that the KL is a suite hotel, totally done in white(the suites), 2 tVS, coffee provided, micro, frig, bar sink, absolutely huge bathrooms, patios...beautiful!! Now you need to hear from those having stayed at the GW. I am under the impression you get more for your money at the Kea Lani because of the larger suites. We quite enjoyed Caffe Ciao downstairs with its cappucino, etc. cold gourmet salads, baking, sandwiches and in the evening brick oven pizza. The pool area is gorgeous- a quiet lap pool and a more elaborate pool area with cabanas, etc. The Grand Wailea, when we were there was more alive with kids because of the style of the pool area. Now to really confuse you...have you looked into the Four Seasons inbetweeen these 2 properties. I sent my friend there for her honeymoon and she said that this property made her honeymoon. No extra charge for the cabanas at the pool(40.00 a day at the KL), fitness centre included, tennis inc., snorkelling gear daily inc., as well as parking. This is the preferred place of Stallone and actually Schwarzenneger was there when Laura was.For what it is worth, but staying at the Halekulani I know that you want class. Now the FS rating was 89.2 with only the Lodge at Loele on Lanai with one point higher. The FS is supposed to have some of the best restaurants on Maui. Email me if you have further questions. Annemarie

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 05:09 PM
annemarie

Just curious...do you work for JP Morgan in the Big Apple...my brother in law has the same type of email address...sorry for being nosy!

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 09:53 AM
Marie Tarpey

AnneMarie - Thanks for your response, if you think of any other info that may be helpful I would love to hear about it. Yes I do work at Morgan in NY, in the Wall Street area. Thanks again - Marie

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 06:58 PM
annemarie

Restaurants,...the FS has excellent restaurants, even their coffee shop is considered a step above many, The Sea Watch is good, The Caffe Ciao in Kea Lani, for Capp, pizza, light foods, the Maui Onion poolside at the Renaissance and the Palm Court at the Renaissance as well. The luau at the Ason in Wailea was supposed to be the best 4 years ago, I don't know if that has been changed. Drive up to Kapalua, take in either Kapalua or Napili beach, supposed to be best on the island and eat poolside or the Kapalua shopping village has a pretty reasonable restaurant. The Honolua Store outside the Ritz does reasonable takeout and is a cute souvenir shop. Watch the Molokini snorkelling trip as we went but the current was too strong and they had to come back to shore to snorkel...disappointment and this happens more times than not I hear.Feel free to ask any questions....my brother-in-law works for Morgan at Wall Street as well...Louis Chabot-a computer consultant?? I guess I'm being naive to assume you would know him!! Annemarie

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 12:20 PM
Kevin

I would strongly second annemarie's recommendation on the Kea Lani. My wife and I were there last year for 2 weeks on our Honeymoon and it was fantastic. The suites were huge and very comfortable, the service was excellent and the grounds,pools and beach were beautiful. Had a great time. Also stopped by the GW for a drink and thought it to be gaudy, very "busy" and "noisy" with people. Not worth the price premium they were asking. For restaurants, we liked David Paul's in Lahaina the best for dinner, Cheeseburger in Paradise for lunch and breakfast at the KL's breakfast buffet.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 12:43 PM
Danielle

Marie,

I stayed at the Four Seasons and at the Renaissance. All the properties in Wailea are beautiful but it depends on what you are looking for. The Four Seasons is beautiful with a very elegant feel, the Kea Lani is also very beautiful with a very comfortable feel, the Grand Wailea feels like a very large hotel - everything is on a grand scale (some may think it's overly done), and the Renaissance is a little older than the rest and has a relaxed atmosphere. One word of advice - check to see if anyone of these hotels have conferences while you are there. That help make your decision, you don't want to have to fight for a chair at the pool or a hammock by the water.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 03:15 PM
Jen

Danielle - You said that you have stayed at both the Four Seasons and the Renaissance. Which did you prefer and why? Do you think the Four Seasons is worth the extra few hundred dollars? Thanks!

Old May 5th, 1999, 08:33 AM
JAMIE

Both are nice. Here are some of my opinions. The Grand Wailea has more pools/pool sitting areas,by the beach hammocks to swing in are free, most days cold towels & water were handed out, the outside property and grounds are more elaborate in decor and ambiance, they have an awsome spa, and if you get an ocean view room towards the center of hotel on the 7-9 floor you wont be disappointed. Bad part is unless you have a suite, Grand Wailea's rooms aren't as nice as the Kea Lani's rooms, when we were there there were tons of kids, very family oriented. The Kea Lani was very morocco looking, neat and clean, more quiet than Grand, pools and grounds were beautiful but smaller than Grand, although they also had a waterfall, swim up bar, and slide. Both beaches were nice and clean. It's a hard choice to make because both are beautiful in their own way. if you're looking for a lot of activities, vast pools and are more interested in the grounds than the room (unless you get a suite, then I'd choose by far the Grand), stay at the Grand. If you're looking for a goergous suite and are willing to compromise a little on the grounds, stay at the Kea Lani (you'd be impressed in comarison to a standard room at the Grand). For food go to Mama's fish house and Carrelli's.

Old May 5th, 1999, 09:06 AM
roger

Just stayed at the Four Seasons and was happy with our choice. There was a conference there and at the other hotels but the adverse impact was negligible and no problem with chair space. During vacation periods and summertime, you are likely to have more kids at both the KL and GW. Also worth checking out a new promotion from FS which kicks in after only a 3 night stay (see their web site).

Old May 5th, 1999, 03:49 PM
Jennifer

Hi Roger - My husband and I are staying at the Four Seasons this July. Any suggestions or tips that would allow us to have the best trip possible? Any suggestions for eating out? Thanks!

Old May 6th, 1999, 06:26 AM
roger

I thought Ferraro's was great for dinner. Reserve a table for before sunset with an oceanfront view. Although I have never been, it felt like I imagine the Amalfi coast to feel like. If you head up to Lahaina go the extra few minutes and eat at Roy's Kahana (the pepered Ahi was great). Pacifico and Maalalea Waterfront were nice and scenic but a notch below these two (all restaurants priced about the same). Harry's Sushi in Wailea was recommended by the concierge and I thought it was surprisingly good (get the ahi poke if it is a special). If you go to Hana, the hike through the bamboo forest to the 400' waterfall at Oheo Gulch was definitely a highlight. Having said all this, some our best memories were of hanging out at the beach and pool. The atmosphere was very friendly and we met people for drinks after dinner in the hotel lobby a couple of times.