Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   hotels in Los Angeles (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotels-in-los-angeles-534441/)

Howie Jun 5th, 2005 07:03 PM

hotels in Los Angeles

going to los angeles at the end of July for a few days. which hotel would be the most luxurious and I could possibly see some celebrities.

socialworker Jun 5th, 2005 07:49 PM

We love the Century City Plaza!! We have seen a couple celebrities there, but mainly it is just a great hotel. It is not the *most* luxurious but it is *very* nice.

rjw_lgb_ca Jun 6th, 2005 07:20 AM

The Peninsula.

The Beverly Hills Hotel.

Le Mondrian.

The Fairmont Miramar.

You will pay dearly for the pleasure, just so you're aware.

TxTravelPro Jun 6th, 2005 07:58 AM

I have seen many celebrities at the Regent Beverly Wilshire and the Four Seasons on Doheny.

youngtom2910 Jun 6th, 2005 08:15 AM

It depends what you want to do. There are some very nice hotels in Santa monica on the Beach--beautiful location, probably lower celebrity possibility. The Beverly HIlls Hotels are also nice, but obviously not on the beach. A third option would be the Bel Air Hotel, just outside of Beverly HIlls. A fourth option would be WEst Hollywood, another different scene.

Surfergirl Jun 6th, 2005 06:47 PM

Peninsula, Beverly Hills Hotel, Bel Air Hotel. I wouldn't go to the Century Plaza the rest of this year, because there is too much construction going on in Century City at the moment. The Shubert, directly across the street, for one; the Century City mall for another. The noise and dust is horrendous. In addition, Santa Monica Blvd., from the 405 to the edge of Beverly Hills, is completely torn apart and being redone. It was scheduled to be completed this August; but now just tack another year onto that "target date". It's down to 2 lanes east of Beverly Glen, and all the businesses and residents in the surrounding area are fuming.

socialworker Jun 6th, 2005 07:09 PM

I was wondering about that construction b/c it was going on the last time we were there. I wonder if they work on the week-ends, b/c we are scheduled to stay on a Friday and Sarurday night in October....

tracys2cents Jun 6th, 2005 09:11 PM

Most celebrities LIVE in Beverly Hills, they don't stay in hotels there. You might see some dining at Beverly Hills Hotel, Hotel Bel Air, Regent Beverly Wilshire.

I would choose The Beverly Hills HOtel for the history, you can read about it before you go in lots of celebrity biographies and histories of Hollywood.

socialworker Jun 7th, 2005 04:04 PM

The celebrities we have seen at the Century Plaza have been there for functions, as a lot of events are held there.

Surfergirl Jun 7th, 2005 06:48 PM

socialworker -- yes, the big stuff that can't be done on the weekdays due to office workers and traffic are SOMETIMES being done on the weekends. The haul trucks that are NOT supposed to be going down my street ignore local restrictions and do so anyway, and that is early Sat. morning.

I would call the Century Plaza as you get closer to October to see what the noise factor will be like. I don't think it will be so bad at that time. It's not slated for opening until October, 2006.

On the other hand, the renovations at the mall are scheduled to be completed this fall, with final opening of the new movie theatres in December, 2005.

The former Century Plaza Hotel Tower (most notably inhabited during his years in the White House by Ronald Reagan) changed to the St. Regis, and are now being converted into condominiums.

socialworker Jun 7th, 2005 07:50 PM

Thanks for the info Surfergirl--it sounds as if you live in that neighborhood, or nearby, which must be very nice, esp once all the construction is done!!!

Mommar Jun 10th, 2005 02:57 PM

I would recommend either the Peninsula or the 4 Seasons. Both are known for their star-studded power breakfast scene. During a one day stay of mine in the 4 Seasons, I saw rock stars, news celebrities, politicians. It became almost boring to turn the corner and see another. Almost, but not quite!

TxTravelPro Jun 10th, 2005 09:24 PM

I totally agree, Mommar!
I would stay at the FS if my objective was to see the rich and famous. Never fails...
Another tip: We always have a coffee sitting on the bench outside the Bristol Farms in West Hollywood/Bev Hills. We have seen quite a few celebrities and the coffee is excellent.