Hotels in LaJolla and Carlsbad, CA

Old Jan 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in LaJolla and Carlsbad, CA

Spending 3 days visiting grand kids. Torn between LaJolla and Carlsbad. they actually live in Carlsbad but I just love the village of LaJolla. Considering 2 beach front hotels:
LaJolla - LaJolla Shores (was the Sea Lodge)
Carlsbad - Beach Terrace Inn. (looks a bit nicer)

Any other suggestions or do you know anything about these. Has to be beach front with balcony if I am going to the beach! Thanks for you help
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 02:43 PM

Getting onto the 5 North is a bit convoluted and time-consuming from LaJ, and if you are only visiting 3 days, stay at the Beach Terrace Inn. Our son & family lives in SE Carlsbad in La Costa Valley and I would not wish to commute that 3 days. Spend an afternoon in LaJ w/ brfst or lunch at The Cottage. Spend another afternoon in South Cedros in Solana, where I do a majority of my annual/Christmas/me shopping. You cannot beat the convenience of Moonlight Beach Best Western, but the advantages of walking across the street and down the path to the downtown Carlsbad beach is worth it. We stayed a month at a condo behind the fish place up there in the Fall. When we stayed for shorter periods we stay at the BW Moonlight Beach and walk to that as well as to downtown Encinitas, now sporting a new Whole Foods and lots of nice shops along the 101, all walkable. A day in LaJ does it for us these days. Too many fave shops of mine have closed in recent years. Just think of LaJ as too far south, and 5 traffic is never fun.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM

p.s. We have stayed at LaJ Shores where you mention and it was lovely, but there is not much to do there except kayak. You would have to drive up to the (always congested) village from there anyway. Check out LaJolla Caves, if you have older than little grandchildren, they'd love it. You access from the little street west of Prospect.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM

Geesh. You make it sound tough getting around SD. From the Shores (where there are a couple of restaurants - including the fabled Marine Room) up to the Village of La Jolla takes at most about 5? minutes (maybe a couple more in rush hour) -and hey - driving up to Carlsbad along the Coast hiway/1 - is a scenic treat. And except for rush hour - the freeway is also usually no sweat.

While I love both Carlsbad and La Jolla (had an office in both La Jolla and Carlsbad over the years) - since you are going to see your family in Carlsbad anyway - I would recommend you stay at the Shores.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Since you are only staying for a few days - I would recommend staying in Carlsbad - I would disagree a little with Tom (sorry) the commute can be brutal and you do not have that much time - and your time there I imagine is to be with your family.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 05:24 PM

No problemo MomDD. Hey - it ain't Rocket Science. Just don't go during commute hours - and I love the Coast road anyway. Takes about 20 minutes from La Jolla Shores to Carlsbad if there isn't any traffic - and if you do run into some traffic, if you feel harried - just stop midway in the beaucolic village of Del Mar and have a cup of coffee, snack and wait it out
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Tom if it was a tourist with no family/grandchildren in Carlsbad I would 100 percent agree. I would stay in the Jewel anytime over Carlsbad - hands down I just have two sweet grandbabies and always want to be as close to them as possible
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the comments. I think we have decided on the Beach Terrace Inn as they have a very good advance purchase rate and it is right on the beach. We have a day to ourselves so will just browse La Jolla and have a meal. I love Fodors for all the help you get from people. Any good restaurants you can recommend in either La Jolla or Carlsbad besides the Cottage for adults since we do have a day to ourselves.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 07:06 AM

Shar - my favorite if the weather is good is to sit on the terrance/roof top at George's looking out over the cove. I always feel like I am on the coast of Italy
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 10:46 AM

La Jolla has a number of fine places to dine, in addition to enjoying the great view/fresh air from the Terrace at George's, including WhisknLaddle, Nine-Ten, Roppongi, my favorite - Tapenade, The Marine Room, the La Valencia Hotel - and the list goes on....................
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 10:56 AM

You should go into the whaling bar at the La V... it is an old icon
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:06 PM

Amen Mom. The mural behind the bar is a classic - and the rest of the La Valencia is also fun to explore.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Had a great weekend away at the Beach Terrace Inn. Grat room - huge room and lovely balcony right on the beach. we had time with family and time alone. Ate at Paon in Carlsbad, excellent restaurant and quite an extensive wine list. Weather was great until we had to fly home and then it was a 2 hour delay. San Diego Airport doesn't have much to do so we spent our time in the Untied Club Room. Started to late in the day to get up to LJ and didn't want to fight the traffic coming home via I5. Next time we will start earlier in the day.
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 04:35 AM

Thanks for the trip report - and have more fun next time.

Will have to remember the Paon. Don't get up to Carlsbad like I used to - but good to know.
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 05:34 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Another vote for George's at the Cove http://www.georgesatthecove.com/
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 06:07 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Ahh, missed that the OP is already back home. Glad it was a good time!