Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotels in LA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotels-in-la-666738/)

J_Mac Dec 28th, 2006 07:35 PM

Hotels in LA

My adult daughter and I will be visiting LA in late January. Is there anyone who can provide any feedback on the Biltmore Hotel vs. the Hilton Checkers, both on South Grand. Are there any other hotels we should consider. Our mission is to hit the main attractions, i.e., museums, Grauman's, Rodeo Drive, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

lynnejoel1015 Dec 28th, 2006 08:31 PM

the biltmore is really opulent and beautiful. i've only been in the common areas, but i imagine the rooms are gorgeous too.

i've been to the hilton with checkers bar and wasn't impressed enough to remember it.

i personally think the standard or the westin bonaventure downtown are the coolest places to stay in downtown LA.

you'll find that others think that santa monica or beverly hills are better places to stay for all of the typical tourist attractions, but i personally love downtown LA and applaud your decision to stay down there!

L

brushfire Dec 28th, 2006 09:17 PM

Staying downtown is a bold choice- many locals don't even venture out that way if not for work. I wouldn't really recommend staying downtown- traffic, parking, safety issues come to my mind when thinking of downtown. I recommend the beach cities, Santa Monica, and West LA over downtown LA.

Woody Dec 28th, 2006 10:16 PM

Both are fine hotels. I prefer the Hilton Checkers -- an upscale smaller boutique hotel.

There are several excellent restaurants within walking distance, most notably the Water Grill, which is L.A.'s highest rated seafood restaurant. Nearby are Cafe Pinot, Ciudad, Nick + Steph's, and of course Patina.

Woody

mlgb Dec 28th, 2006 11:09 PM

Other hotels to look at downtown would be the Omni or the Marriott, which is across from the Bonaventure. The Bonavenure is a good location but the layout can be quite confusing.

All of the restaurants mentioned by Woody are good, although expensive.

Kealoha Dec 28th, 2006 11:53 PM

I've stayed at both the Biltmore and Bonaventure (on company dime) and I love both of them. Nice rooms, great service. The rooms at Biltmore are smaller compared to Bonaventure but both rooms are clean. I did find Biltmore's room more charming. I've never stayed at Checkers so I cannot comment.

However, keep in mind that downtown LA may not be the best place for a tourist unless there is something specific there you are going to. For instance, one time I stayed at Biltmore we went to the LA Opera and the Biltmore took us there using a limousine so in that instance a downtown hotel was a good choice.

Santa Monica and/or the West Side might be a better place for the places you want to go to. Keep in mind that anywhere in LA traffic is going to be a pain. I lived in the West LA area and driving to Beverly Hills from Santa Monica distance wise is (give or take) 7 miles but it can take a good half an hour to get there. If you stay at Santa Monica, the Getty Museum is a short drive off the 405 freeway, and the Museum of Tolerance is also easily accessible (again in the context of LA traffic). Things tend to fizzle out in downtown LA at night, but Santa Moncia/West L.A. is alive at most times of the day.

Have fun. Although I've moved from LA, and relived I don't have to drive there, I do miss some of the things it offers.

J_Mac Dec 29th, 2006 04:03 AM

Many thanks for your replies! We are from Florida, although my daughter is currently working as a travel nurse at UCSD Medical Ctr. We will spend a few days in SD before heading up to LA. After reading thru your comments, I am a little confused on the relationship of these hotels in relation to what we want to do...guess I need to get my hands on a LA map! We had planned on parking the car and using the subway/public transportation--should I be concerned about safety with this plan? Again, thanks so much for the insight!

NeoPatrick Dec 29th, 2006 05:03 AM

I also question why you are staying downtown? I'm the original "city" type guy and love being in the center of things. But LA is not such a city. Most people I've know who "hate" LA only know it from going there to a convention or on business and being "stuck" in downtown. I'd honestly look at places on the west side -- Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, or even Westwood or Santa Monica.

And sadly, public transportation in LA is not good for tourists -- it ranks just below Miami's in my mind. LA is all about driving -- sadly. I think you'll want and need a car.

tracys2cents Dec 29th, 2006 06:59 AM

The Renaissance in Hollywood or the "W" hotel in Westwood would be much better for tourists. (Downtown is NOT where you want to be!.) Less expensive but still nice, and well located, are the Sunset Plaza Hotel, The Angeleno or even the little Hilgard House near UCLA. Don't plan on parking, plan on driving (though Westwood/UCLA area has decent quick bus service to most places that you want to go). If your driving is on Sat and Sun, the traffic shouldn't be TOO bad.

BigJim Dec 29th, 2006 07:01 AM

A lot depends on what you're planning to do. Most visitors like to go to Disneyland, Hollywood, the beaches, etc. The problem is most things are in totally opposite directions. For example, Disneyland and Hollywood are on totally opposite sides of town, so staying in Downtown might be a good idea because you're somewhat in the middle. If you're planning to go visit any parts of Orange County as well as L.A. County, then staying in Downtown might be a good idea.

If cost isn't an issue, then I'd definitely pick the Biltmore over the Hilton. The Biltmore is probably the most "grand" hotel in Downtown. The other choices that people have mentioned are good as well. The Bonaventure is legendary. The Omni and Wilshire Grand are nice too.

rjw_lgb_ca Dec 29th, 2006 07:20 AM

Actually, Downtown LA is well-situated for the "main attractions" the OP lists. All can be reached without getting on surface roads, and MTA bus and rail service will get you there easily.

I've done a conference at the Biltmore, and the public areas are indeed gorgeous. Attendees who stayed at the hotel liked the rooms.

My problem with Downtown is that the sidewalks mostly roll up after 6 PM. It used to be worse; now more people are living Downtown, and there are definitely more things to do nowadays. It's for sure getting better. Still, it's not as lively as, say, downtown Santa Monica. Still, for the things the OP mentions....

Now, one thing to correct in another post. Disneyland is NOT in the city of Los Angeles, nor indeed in the County of Los Angeles. It's in Anaheim, in Orange County. Hollywood is a neighborhood of LA, a little west of Downtown (well, about 6 miles). Anaheim is 26 miles south of Downtown LA; the cities lying between LA and Anaheim include Commerce, Santa Fe Springs, Norwalk and Buena Park. It's interesting to note that many of the things people think of when they think of "LA" aren't actually part of the City of LA: Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Anaheim-- all separate cities, some fully contained within LA city limits.

Surfergirl Dec 29th, 2006 12:12 PM

Actually, downtown L.A. is really starting to become a downtown metropolitan live/work area these days. I know 3 people (all lawyers) who bought condos downtown and walk or shuttle to work and the courthouse. During the weekdays, there is the 25 cent "Dash" that travels all around downtown. Alternatively, there is the Metro, that will get you to Hollywood Blvd. (near enough to Grauman's), or to Pasadena, or Universal, and as far west as Western Ave.

We stayed at the Biltmore (even though we live here) during the 1992 election (I admit, we're political groupies!), and although the rooms are small and historic, I'm big on quaint and historic. If you want the most modern or the most opulent, you will hate the rooms there. One more thing about downtown hotels -- factor in the cost of parking your car there -- the prices are exhorbitant.

There's currently a Magritte exhibit going on at the LA County Museum of Art, but that's located mid-town Wilshire, near the La Brea Tar Pits and not within walking distance of the Metro. That will continue through March, I believe. There are a couple of museums downtown, but nothing going on that I can recall.

Thus, my sense, like the others, is that you may want to consider a hotel on the westside of town to see what you want to see.

Have fun!

J_Mac Dec 29th, 2006 04:27 PM

Again, many thanks for all your comments. Living in the FL Panhandle, we are close enough to amusement parks--not interested in that--and live mere miles from the most beautiful beaches, so that too is not a priority. After reading your comments and another similar thread, I checking into some of the other suggestions before making a final decision. I do appreciate your guidance!

lynnejoel1015 Dec 29th, 2006 04:34 PM

if you stay downtown, the Metro Rapid (big red bus) line will take you along Wilshire all the way out to santa monica, with stops convenient to LACMA (big art museum & la brea tar pits).

i think downtown is a fabulous place to stay. i've worked downtown for more than 5 years now and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. there are city street routes in and out of downtown that make commuting around town a relative breeze. downtown is convenient to hollywood, silverlake, and west hollywood and beverly hills, imho. i live around weho and BH and it's fine for me.

Debstah Dec 31st, 2006 08:12 AM

I would suggest the Farmer's Daughter - it is near the Farmers Market, which is west of Downtown, you must see the Farmers Market as a tourist, and it is within walking distance to LACMA and much closer to both Hollywood and Beverly Hills. Probably much cheaper than any of those posh downtown hotels too, and much cuter.

http://www.farmersdaughterhotel.com/

I moved to LA a couple years ago and love it. Have fun!

suze Dec 31st, 2006 09:13 AM

I *LOVE* the Biltmore Hotel and its excellent downtown location!

I had the good fortune to live at the hotel for 6 months (working for the architects doing one of its many remodels, ~15 years ago). I had a car to get around, which I parked in the hotel garage.

I went to Chinatown, Melrose Ave, Olvera Street, Farmer's Market, Fairfax district, out to Santa Monica, etc. on a regular basis.

The other hotel I stayed briefly in was the Bonaventure, which I did not care for at all.

Staying in downtown Los Angeles may not be to everyone's taste, but I believe it's the "real thing".

lynnejoel1015 Dec 31st, 2006 10:26 AM

The Farmer's Daughter is a great suggestion! Although I think it's best for a few days, perhaps not the entire trip. They do charge a "premium" for the hipster factor ;) but it's a cute place and in a great central location to all of the things you want to see.

Good call, Debstah! Do you live around there? We do! We're on Cloverdale btwn 6th and Wilshire!