Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anna Maria Island - Which location better Anna maria, holmes, or bradenton

Old Jan 13th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are coming to Anna Maria Island in May. We are looking to book a private home and found there are 3 areas of Anna Maria Island. Anna Maria beach is north, Holmes beach is central, and Bradenton is south. What are the pros and cons of these locations? We are looking for quiet, pretty beaches that you can walk and swim at but are also close to restaurants and shopping. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 11:52 AM

We always stay in Anna Maria, the quietest and least built up of the three areas with gorgous beaches, great dining an dnice shops.

Bradenton Beach is the most honky tonk and busy, but has some gorgeous long beaches. It is very noisy, imo. Holmes Beach has some nice condos and decent restaurants, but Anna MAria is the hands down winner imo. If you search there are other threads about this .
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Great.
Thanks so much! Is it better on gulf side or bay side?
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 04:14 PM

I agree, Anna Maria Beach is the quietest and it is great to get around that North end with bikes. There are one or two places to rent them and I love exploring that area on a bicycle. All the beaches are beautiful. Much more crowded on Holmes Beach, but a few good restaurants around there. "Eat here" is an awesome place to have dinner, very good food. Any area you choose still will not be as crowded as say, Clearwater, St. Pete Beach. Absolutely, the Gulf side is better. Will be pricier but the water is amazing and I wouldn't bother staying on the Bay side when you have the Gulf right there. Any beach will have plenty of walking up and down the shore.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 04:17 PM

Will check out "Eat here" next month when we are down, staying with friends on Anna Maria -- thanks leeam.