Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotels: Best Summer Value (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotels-best-summer-value-75005/)

Don Jun 6th, 2000 07:41 AM

Hotels: Best Summer Value

I would like to hear some opinions about what the "best value" hotels are in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for the summer. I would consider easy shopping, nice swimming pool and good nearby restuaraunts a plus. I have seen many of the resorts offer rooms in the $89-99 range for this time of year. <BR>

John Jun 6th, 2000 10:55 AM

Probably the Biltmore or the Phoenician. The Ritz is nice too, but it's more of a hotel, rather than a resort. Both the Ritz and the Phoenician are across from theBiltmore Fashion Square, which is the outdoor mall in Scottsdale. There are also decent restaurants nearby. You may also try some of the Hilton or Marriott resorts. I believe a few of them are also in the area. BUt if you can get a similar rate at the Biltmore or Phoenician, you are better off to go with one of those, since they are both recognized as top notch places.

Deborah Jun 7th, 2000 05:54 PM

My choice would be to stay at The Royal Palms or a get a Casita Room at The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess.

K Jun 7th, 2000 08:13 PM

If you're looking at the under $100 range, most of the suggestions offered will be out of range. I just returned from the Phoenician this week. Went immediately after their summer rates kicked in. Standard room (pool view) was $245. Royal Palms has $119 corporate rate rooms, but they aren't all that great (toured them). The Ritz has good summer rates usually, but pool's not that great. I didn't check it this time around. The Pointes are OK, but locations aren't great. Princess is a good choice if you can get a good summer rate.

sheepherder Jun 13th, 2000 06:45 AM

I found a very good deal in August: The Radisson Resort in Scottsdale, rated 4 stars by AAA, gave us $59 a night for a king bed. All rooms newly renovated, and they just put in an expensive full-service spa (not sure if you have to pay to use it). We were okay about taking the cheapest location, which they call "garden view". Good luck!

Don Smith Jun 13th, 2000 06:55 AM

Thanks Sheepherder. I'll give them a look. I also saw a deal for the Days Inn next to Fashion Square in Scottsdale for $38. I don't know what the property is like but it sure is on an expensive piece of real estate. <BR>

John Jun 13th, 2000 08:17 AM

be warned that the radisson is sort of out of the way. It's an ok place, especially for $59, but you will end up driving a lot if you want to go into scottsdale and eat/shop. And I think all the rooms are garden view. Nothing special to see over there.

Amy Jun 14th, 2000 11:03 AM

I have been to Phoenix a number of times(most recently in May) and have stayed at the Phoenician, the Princess, and the Hyatt. The Hyatt is my personal favorite. It is a beautiful property with 10 pools, a small man made beach area for kids, and a huge waterslide. They even have an adults only pool which is fantastic. We went last summer with our entire family (14 people) and I believe our rate was about $139 a night including breakfast buffet. Do you have kids with you? The Hyatt is more family oriented than both of the other hotels. If you want a list of restaurants or anything let me know. There is also a lot of great shopping in that area. Have fun.

Don Jun 15th, 2000 01:14 PM

No kids Amy. I'm single, looking for a place under $100 where I can relax by the pool, go to a good resturaunt and get some shopping done nearby. I used to live in the dessert so I don't mind the heat. I've found some Marriots (including Camelback Resort) in my price range. <BR>

Sheryl Jun 17th, 2000 05:10 PM

Don, here's a tip for you if you want the Marriott Camelback Resort. To the best of my knowledge, based on numerous bids, it's the only property that Priceline rates 5 star in Phoenix (the Scottsdale zone). I host a forum to discuss bidding at http://pub4.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding so if you are interested in giving Priceline a shot, read about the previous winning bids (which were mostly during the winter high season), read the Hotel FAQ category and then request bidding assistance (if you'd like).

Karen Jun 17th, 2000 08:31 PM

The Embassy Suites Biltmore may be perfect for you, although I don't know current prices. It is jut steps from our nicest, but not largest, shopping center and within walking distance of many restaurants and movie theaters...very safe area also. Pool area looks nice too.

Geo Jun 17th, 2000 08:41 PM

That place disgusted us when we stayed there a couple years ago. It's full of live plantings (quite large) which made the place mildewy smelling and humid and it was pretty run down all things considered. Great location. Bad execution. Could have improved though.