hotels at LAX

Feb 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

hotels at LAX

Can anyone recommend a hotel near to LAX. We will be returning from a cruise and want to stay a couple of nights in Los Angeles before our flight home. We thought it would be better near to the airport with the possibility of some form of transport to the beaches and places of interest in LA.
The reviews of the LAX hotels are not very encouraging and say that the area is not very pleasant. Would we be better staying in LA then getting transport to the airport on our day of departure.? Our flight is quite early (10am) so we will need to be there about 8am. We are worried about heavy traffic.
Feb 15th, 2010, 01:44 PM

There's not much to recommend around LAX unless it is the night before your flight. The usual chains, Marriott, Hilton, etc have a variety of properties,but LAX is not near any LA area attraction.
Probably better off renting a car and staying someplace such as Newport Beach, Laguana Beach or Santa Monica. Just allow enough time to get back to the airport.
Feb 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM
lvk

What else were you hoping to see in LA? Without a car, it will be difficult to explore other attractions.

You could try the Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach area. There are properties in all price ranges, the neighborhoods are safe, close to the beach, and it would be only a 5-15 minute drive to LAX on the morning of your flight.

If you are comfortable with public transportation, you could also choose a place along Aviation Blvd. near the Green Line Metro station (SpringHill Suites comes to mind) to get to other parts of the city. www.metro.net to plan your trip.

Other than that, there are city tours available through www.viptoursandcharters.com, or www.starlinetours.com.
Feb 15th, 2010, 03:55 PM

About 10 minutes away from LAX you end up in Culver City. There are three hotels close to each other, Radisson, Courtyard Marriott and Sheraton (I believe). There is easy access to the freeway and the beach, and a short drive to Santa Monica, Venice, the Getty Center, etc.
Feb 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM

If you stayed at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites in El Segundo, you'd be two short blocks from the Douglas Station of the Green Line as well as the Beach Cities Transit stop for Bus #109. You'd also be within a half mile level walk to about a dozen restaurants of all types, two small shopping centers and a 16-screen movie complex.

On the #109, for $1 each way, you can go to the piers at Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach, or in the other direction to Plaza El Segundo (mostly chain stores/restaurants) and Main Street in El Segundo.

Line #109:

http://www.redondo.org/civica/inc/di...spBlobID=18748

You can take the Green Line from the Douglas Station to the Aviation Station and from there the free shuttle bus into LAX. A taxi would be faster but more expensive.
Feb 16th, 2010, 03:57 AM

The Crown Plaza Redondo Beach is across the street from the water and the pier is less than one block. Beach is maybe two blocks away. Crown Plaza offers airport shuttle, and is a 20 minute drive with no traffic risk.

Hermosa Beach Hampton Inn is not on the water, but a good hotel. 5 minutes closer to LAX. I'm not sure about hotel shuttle.

If you are going to do anything other than hang out at the beach, you have to have a car. LA does not have public transportation.
Feb 16th, 2010, 07:03 AM

"LA does not have public transportation." Hyperbole. Of course LA has public transportation. I mentioned just two in my post, the Green Line and Beach Cities Transit.

Using the light rail system from the Douglas Street Green Line station, you can get to Long Beach, downtown LA, Pasadena and Hollywood. Yes, it takes longer than driving, but it gets you there. I could even tell you how to get to San Diego or Santa Barbara from the Douglas Street station without using a car because I've done it myself.