Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotels and Restaurants in the Bronx (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotels-and-restaurants-in-the-bronx-298608/)

sbarra Mar 17th, 2003 11:28 AM

Hotels and Restaurants in the Bronx

We are visiting Fordham University in the Bronx in late April. Any ideas on hotels and restaurants in the area?

Merilee_Tucker Mar 17th, 2003 11:54 AM

I suggest the Arthur Avenue area known as the Bronx's Little Italy for dining. It's only a few blocks away from Fordham University. There aren't any lodging options in this area. My advice is to look up accomodations in Yonkers. There used to be a Holiday Inn there and it's easy on easy off access to the Deegan which makes it convenient because the Deegan will take you to Fordham University via the Fordham Avenue exit. It's not a long distance either. I'm going to check on other options for you.

Merilee_Tucker Mar 17th, 2003 12:17 PM

I checked and found out that the Holiday Inn in Yonkers is still in business and it has been updated and renovated. It's located on Tuckahoe Road, which as I stated gives you easy on easy off access to the Deegan. In terms of mileage it's only about 10 miles on the Deegan to Fordham Road. You will also be in the vicinity of Cross County, which is a large shopping center. In my opinion, if you're looking for convenience, this is a good choice. Other options are the town of New Rochelle, which has a Residence Inn and Ramada Plaza. Also, don't forget to dine on Arthur Avenue. Many good choices such as Mario's, which I think has been around forever!

Rob Mar 17th, 2003 06:18 PM

There is a motel across from the campus on Fordham Road near Southerrn Blvd. But from what I can see of the place I wouldn't stay there. The Yonkers motel is a good choice and it is an easy ride to the campus - Deegan to Fordham Rd exit. Hang a left at end of exit ramp onto Fordham Rd and the campus is a couple of miles away

Merilee_Tucker Mar 18th, 2003 05:38 AM

That would be the Bronx Park Motel on Crotona that Rob mentioned and no one in their right mind would recommend it to a family. The Bronx has many motels such as the Capri Whitestone, but again to repeat, they're not suitable for families.

sbarra Mar 18th, 2003 06:35 AM

Thanks so much for your helpful ideas. We will stay at the Holiday Inn and check out Marios!

rikerspharm Mar 18th, 2003 01:12 PM

Just a suggestion, but you may want to consider staying in Manhattan. The commuter railroad from Grand Central (MetroNorth)stops at Fordham. Easy ride and no parking problems. MUCH better restaurants and hotels in Manhattan, too. Another plan is to stay in the Rye/Purchase area in Westchester County if you must drive. It's a very easy drive to Fordham. Look for the Renaissance or the Rye Town Hilton. Plenty of restaurants nearby. It's worth a walk along Arthur Ave (near the University) on Friday or Saturday (not Sunday), visit the indoor market and have lunch inside the market area. Buy some bread or pastry in one of the many stores. Don't bother staying for dinner. Go into Manhattan for dinner.

bmw732002 Mar 19th, 2003 06:47 AM

sbarra:<BR><BR>Follow Merilee's advice. Do not head into Manhattan. That would be a waste of time! Peolple from Manhattan always ask about &quot;how to get to Arthur Avenue&quot;!<BR>Great Itallian! Robertos is another favortie. Buy some bread at Addio Bakery, try some Pasteries at Edigio Bakery. Walk thru the Arther Avenue Market at have a 'Hero&quot; at Mikes Deli!<BR><BR>Head over to the Botanical Gardens to walk it all off!! Sleep in Yonkers, eat in the Bronx..Fordham or Manhattan College are quality schools in the Bronx! Have fun!<BR>JOHN

Loki Mar 19th, 2003 07:01 AM

I have to disagree with the suggestions to go to Arthur Ave. I think it's a big tourist trap where everyone from CT (like me!)goes. I went once and would probably not go again. I went to this place called Dominick's which is suppossedly THE place to go. There are no reservations and you wait 2 hours to sit family style on a bench with people you don't know. The menu choices are limited and it's homey southern italian (nothing wrong with that). Maybe I just went to the wrong place, if so, enlighten me. A few folks from work went, I warned them, and they all said never again. Some never even waited long enough to get seated and hopped the train to Manhattan instead. I hope that there really is something else to it and I just went to the wrong place. Any comments on Dominick's?

Merilee_Tucker Mar 19th, 2003 07:36 AM

Sbarra, just wanted to let you know that Fordham University should allow you to park on campus for a visit. If I remember correctly there are 2 main parking areas. Check with the school before you leave. If you stayed in the city you would have the hassle and expense of trying to find a place to park your car. The Holiday Inn in Yonkers offers free parking. Although I don't know your budget, the Holiday Inn in Yonkers offers a more reasonable rate than the Rye Town Hilton and it's access to the Deegan can't be beat. On another note I also wanted to mention that while many tourists do go to Arthur Avenue, it is still worth the stop to see a very diverse city neighborhood. The Italian population has been reduced in recent years, but their businesses are still there and most of them are still owned and operated by the same families. A large Albanian population has moved in and some of them have bought restaurants. Mario's is still owned by the Migliucci family and I recommend it. As for the businesses, they are still frequented by loyal locals. Madonia Bros. bakes wonderful breads and Mike's Deli makes great paninis. Edigio's is still a good choice for pastries, especially cannolis. Teitel Bros. has been around since the early 1900's and it's a fun stop to just smell the cheeses and look at the imported olive oils and pastas. Borgatti's sells fresh pasta that you can watch being hand cranked cut for you. Another favorite is Calabria's Pork Store. Don't miss it.

bmw732002 Mar 19th, 2003 09:27 AM

Loki:<BR><BR>Dominicks WAS the place to go....about 10 years ago!! It has become &quot;THE PLACE&quot; for Manhattanites to visit/slum. I guess you can say it had a great Marketing Plan! I would try Mario's, Robertos or Amicci's . Merilee seems to be an expert on all things BRONX, and I find ALL of her recs very accurate. As a former Bronxite and infrequent visitor to the area, I too find Arthur Avenue &quot;shrinking' away!...just like the Manhattan &quot;Little Italy&quot;! Her notes about the Albanians moving in is spot on!<BR>Still...great food can be found at reasonable prices! I prefer going to &quot;Pasta-Pasta&quot;, and The &quot;Venice&quot; on Eastchester road. How about those, Merilee!!<BR>JOHN

Merilee_Tucker Mar 19th, 2003 10:56 AM

John, Venice and Pasta Pasta on Williamsbridge are great neighborhood restaurants! As a matter of fact, I go to Venice a few times a year with a dear old friend in the neighborhood (Morris Park). His aunts prefer Pasta Pasta. Very good recommendations!

mosie Mar 19th, 2003 02:58 PM

i actually like dominics. its a different experience to be sure, but I think the food is great (there is actually no menu and your best bet is to find out what the special is and/or take the watiers recommendation). I have something different every time I go and its always good (and always something I wouldn't have thought to try on my own). Its a great place to meet people too - we've always had lively and friendly conversations with the people we've been seated with. Don't forget your cash, its the only way to pay.

Nordica Apr 20th, 2003 05:11 PM

&gt;&gt;That would be the Bronx Park Motel on Crotona that Rob mentioned and no one in their right mind would recommend it to a family. The Bronx has many motels such as the Capri Whitestone, but again to repeat, they're not suitable for families. <BR><BR> There is a motel called the Riveroad on Webster Ave. @ 233rd St. in the Woodlawn section. You can take Metro-North (which come hourly and will take 5 minutes to get to Fordham) to Fordham and Fordham University is right there OR take a bus to the 4 train OR walk up the hill to the 2/5 train OR you could walk up to White Plains Rd. and catch the Bx55 or Bx41 bus underneath the 2/5 train that stop right on fordham RD. (figure about 15-20 min. ride depending on traffic). Woodlawn is one of our better neighborhoods in the Bronx. I would not feel too bad about suggesting someone stay in Woodlawn. If you want, I will look up the phone # in the next day or two.

Nordica Apr 20th, 2003 05:20 PM

&gt;&gt;Follow Merilee's advice. Do not head into Manhattan. That would be a waste of time! Peolple from Manhattan always ask about &quot;how to get to Arthur Avenue&quot;!<BR>Great Itallian! Robertos is another favortie. Buy some bread at Addio Bakery, try some Pasteries at Edigio Bakery. Walk thru the Arther Avenue Market at have a 'Hero&quot; at Mikes Deli!<BR><BR>Head over to the Botanical Gardens to walk it all off!! Sleep in Yonkers, eat in the Bronx..Fordham or Manhattan College are quality schools in the Bronx! Have fun!<BR>JOHN<BR><BR> I actually live a few blocks away from Fordham University. Where are you guys traveling from? Staying in Manhattan (&quot;the city&quot; to us New Yorkers) is pretty expensive. If you did not leave already, you can e-mail me (my e-mail address is the same as my name @aol.com). I would not feel comfortable with people staying at Bronx Park Motel but perhaps I could look in my phonebook for a more appropriate place. If you are not driving it makes no sense to stay outside of NYC but Manhattan costs a lot and most places in the Bronx would probably scare you. <BR><BR> FYI: Fordham Rd. is very busy during the day and still very well-traveled at night by cars, taxis, and buses to anywhere in the Bronx you'd ever want to go. The 4 and D train is right up the street on Jerome Ave. and Grand Concourse, respectively.

Nordica Apr 20th, 2003 05:28 PM

Dominick's is ok but I usually go to Pasquale's (it's on the right hand side of Arthur Ave. almost at the end of the strip). The waitstaff is friendly and a few of the waiters are gorgeous. Go to Edigio's is the place to go if you want pastries (187th St. &amp; Hughes, I think- across from the church). I swear by it. If you're into bargain shopping, walk along Fordham Rd. going west. There is a small flea market that goes on @ Fordham Plaza (next to Sear's and the train station). It's safe around here regardless of what others might tell you just as long as you don't wander around the side streets after dark.

Nordica Apr 20th, 2003 05:37 PM

Ah, here we go:<BR><BR> Riveroad Motor Inn <BR>4225 Webster Avenue, Bronx, NY 10470 <BR>(718) 324-7819 <BR> <BR> (233rd St. &amp; Webster Ave.)<BR> The biggest Irish neighborhood in the Bronx (if not the city) is right behind it, so it can't be that bad. <BR><BR> <BR>

MelP Apr 20th, 2003 05:40 PM

Dominick's was great 20-25 years ago. Their linguine with shrimp was to die for. I can imagine it's probably not quite the same now. Also remember Pasta Pasta, was my parents' local favorite (if they didn't feel like driving to Spiga's in Scarsdale, which was very yummy) before they moved to Florida a couple of years back, we went there for my birthday one year and it was pretty good.

AC Apr 21st, 2003 02:49 AM

<BR>Try Frankie and Johnnie's Pine Tavern on Bronxdale Avenue. Or Frankie and Johnnie's Two on Eastchester Avenue<BR>Another Bronx Favorite!