Hotels along I-17 Phoenix to Flagstaff??

Apr 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Hotels along I-17 Phoenix to Flagstaff??

We are flying into PHX on June 18, arrival time 6:14 p.m., and are picking up a rental car at the airport. We have reservations the next night at the Grand Canyon, so we'd like to get a head start on Saturday night. Would be willing to drive a couple of hours, assuming our flight is on time. Question: are there several hotels along Interstate 17 (Phoenix to Flagstaff)? Don't need anything fancy, just clean and comfortable--preferably $75 or under. We don't want the restriction of having to make a reservation.

Your thoughts, please! ~sunbabe
Apr 28th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I recommend you should head to Flagstaff you will find many hotel options. The drive is about 2 1/2 hours from Phoenix and then another 2 to the GC the next day.

I haven't tried showing up in Flag to find a hotel room on a Saturday night in the summer which is a busier time of year as most Phoenicians head North to cooler temperatures.
Apr 28th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, JBaug. If we don't feel like driving 2 hours to Flagstaff, will we have trouble finding a hotel along I-17? I just want to know that there are several choices along the route.

~sunbabe
Apr 28th, 2005, 05:25 PM
OO

We've driven that route quite a few times but I don't remember there being anything other than what is in and around Sedona (2 hours), or Flag (2.5), and I wouldn't attempt arriving in either city on a Saturday night without a reservation! Even then...I dunno about getting anything under $75.

Apr 28th, 2005, 05:38 PM

There are a few motels at Camp Verde, about 60 miles from Flagstaff. Comfort Inn, Days Inn, Super 8. But choices are few, and I wouldn't do it without reservations.
Apr 28th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

OO--thanks for the info. That's exactly what I feared. I've made all the travel plans and when I reviewed them with DH the other night he commented "so, we have to immediately begin driving after picking up our rental car? Isn't that why we decided to fly...so we don't have to listen to the kids fight in the vehicle!"

DH thinks we should leave that night open and make our decision when we pick up our rental car. I worry with it being a Saturday night that we should secure a reservation. If we have to stay in a city, I know we'll have to pay more than $75 and that's OK.

Thanks again, JB and OO.
Apr 28th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan--I checked out the hotels at Camp Verde. Mapquest indicates PHX to Camp Verde is 1 1/2 hours. That's another possibility for us. Thanks!
Apr 28th, 2005, 06:46 PM

go to freetrip.com and after entering your starting point and destination, check off the hotel price range you are interested in. You will find quite a few listed. Even if you don't make a reservation, at least you will know what is available as you are driving along.
Apr 28th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the website, Ronkola. I've never used freetrip.com. Interesting! It mentions mapping restaurants, gas stations, etc., but I can't figure out how to make that work. Have you had success ?
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:57 AM

If you choose to stay in Phoenix, you might find the rates cheaper than the "high country" as it will well be over 100 degrees and when the temperature rises the rates fall. There are a few cheaper options on the North side of Phoenix along I-17, but pretty much once you get past the 101 and I-17 your options will start to become limited until Camp Verde or Flagstaff.
Apr 29th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Sunbabe:
After entering Phoenix and Flagstaff, scroll down to Lodging and click on the box for the hotel price range you want.
Then scroll down to submit and click on that. The reply will come up with miles and time, but you have to scroll down to see the hotels listed at various mile points.

I use them all the time to locate hotels in my days driving range. Va to Orlando, VA to San Diego, Va to Denver and up to Yellowstone and more.
Apr 29th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again JB & Ronkola.

Ronkola: re freetrip.com-- I can get the hotels to come up, but step 4 reads "select the attractions, restaurants, and lodging". The only things to select (directly to the right of that statement) are lodging, camping, and condos. I was just curious why it mentions restaurants. No big deal. The hotel info is helpful!

~sunbabe