Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

hotelclub.net reliable for Rooselvelt Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:32 AM
RLA
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering booking the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhatten for 3 nights in June. I googled some random site and got hotelclub.net which offered a rate for 3 people of $194/night which is $75/night less than the rate quoted calling the hotel directly. (Too early for the anniv. special.)Has anyone used this? I'm nervous about booking through something unfamiliar online.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:09 AM

I've never heard of this site, but based on the name, are you sure you've read all the fine print-like do you have to pay a "membership fee" to use the site? Are you sure this is a 3 person in a room price? Do you care what the bed set up is? Do you understand the cancellation policy?

I'd try a web search for "reviews of hotelclub.net & see if there's any info, especially on tripadvisor or epinions.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:08 PM
RLA
Original Poster

It is for 3 in a room w/ 3 singles or 1 single and 1 double. I have little time to research the fine print, but would before finalizing. I think it said the membership fee is free. I found the Roosevelt on Quickbook for about $200/night as well, and I am comfortable with Quickbook. I'm having to go on a budget this time, so it's coming down to the Roosevelt for $200/nt or Red Roof for $162/nt. My daughter would like the frenzy of Times Square, but I'm more concerned w/ a convenient location for sightseeing (we plan to go all over). Is the Roosevelt both near enough to Times Square, like a block or two, and a good location? Thanks for trying to help me.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:18 PM

The Roosevelt is on the east side-just east of Fifth Ave. Times Square is on the west side. Fifth Ave. is the "line of demarcation" east to west. Here are some mixed reviews on the Roosevelt.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

Here are some reviews for Red Roof Inn

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

I'd have a look at the Comfort Inn on west 46th at applecorehotels.com-same ownership as Red Roof.

Between your 2 choices, I'd pick the Roosevelt. I don't love the location of the Red Roof (but the Comfort Inn is supposed to be great).
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:54 PM
RLA
Original Poster

Thanks mclaurie. I spoke to the Comfort Inn you suggested. They are out of doubles for that date. I may go ahead and spring for a more expensive Time Square hotel since it is a special ocassion for my daughter - high school grad. The W Hotel would make her most happy - just her style, but problems with my other child has turned my finances (and life) upside down. From what I have read, I should avoid Priceline since I need to assure 3 in a room. Thanks again so much for your efforts.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:19 PM
RLA
Original Poster

Since I last posted, I reserved the Marriott Marquis room w/ a Time Square view for $289/nt. by phone. It's no special, but I hope this is a decent price. I was afraid w/ Priceline I would end up w/ a king bed.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:13 AM

RLA if you want to try to find something cheaper, most of the Times Square area hotels get good reviews on Tripadvisor. One you might check is the Doubletree Guest suites where you'd have a bedroom & separate sitting room & 2 TVs. The other place people rave about is the Micelangelo-in the area but not right in the center of the craziness. The Hilton Times Square and the Renaissance Times Square also have good reviews. That said, if you want to just "do" the Marriott, you'll have great views & their rotating restaurant on top is very popular, though expensive. You might consider becoming a member of the Marriott frequent guest program & might get some perks. Have fun.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:02 AM
RLA
Original Poster

I am a member of the Marriott guest club thing so I will see about any additional perks. Since my reservations are done and I'm pretty sure I won't go wrong with the MM, I think I'll move on to other things. I know it's hard to understand, but my kids "ideal" is right in the middle of the action, splash, glitz, & hoards of people! You can tell I am not into this, just bad timing for me. I'm also bummed because my husband can't go. He's good at covering a lot of the logistics along the way (like a bloodhound)often while waiting for me to get ready in the morning. Again, thanks for your help. I may have more questions before long. I'd like to see at least one show; Stomp or Hairspray. I'm sure Hairspray would be impossible to get tickets this late so I'm puzzled as to why I saw tickets available on Ticketmaster. ??? I have a long list of highlights to see from Uptown to Downtown. I need to work on an itinerary. We'll be training in from CT on a Tuesday morning and leaving out on Friday as late as needed.