Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel with indoor and outdoor pools in Orange County, California

Old Feb 1st, 2019, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

We are traveling to Southern California this month, and the weather looks to be highs of mid 60ís. Are there any nicer hotels/resorts with both indoor and outdoor pools so that we can be sure to swim, if itís not warm enough to do it outside?

We are targeting the Huntington/newport/laguna beach areas, but would consider anything from Santa Barbara to San Diego.

thanks!!
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 07:48 PM

Feb is not really outdoors swimming weather anywhere in the State. 60's near the coast will seem cooler and I sure wouldn't expect to do any swimming. If swimming is a must, concentrate on properties with indoor pools.
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 09:50 PM

The Bayview Marriott Newport Beach has both.
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 09:19 AM

I swim pretty much year round here in So Cal (in an outdoor pool) and 60 degree outside temperature is fine. Because most pools are heated to 78-80 degrees (F) for lap pools and 88-90 degrees for pools for recreational play (especially for children) it is warmer in the water than out.

At the Y outdoor pools (which are all over the city) are filled with people (master swimmers, old lady (!-me included) water aerobics, lap swimmers, kids, etc. who swim year round too in 60 degrees weather.

I used to swim in the ocean year round but have to admit, as I've gotten older 60 degree WATER temperatures have become a little too cold for me now. But hundreds of swimmers are out there (sans wet suits) swimming in the ocean every morning. Brrrr!

What I should say is if you are a lap swimmer the outdoor pools will be fine. However, if you are hoping to use the pool for family time - and want to enjoy sitting by the side of the pool with the family then an indoor pool (if the weather is too cool) will provide a warmer place.

Last edited by nanabee; Feb 3rd, 2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 01:08 PM

Not a lot of places with indoor pools in SoCal although many Embassy Suites including at least one in Anaheim have them.
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - so far the only place I've found with BOTH indoor and outdoor pool is the Embassy Suites Anaheim -Orange. (The Bayview Marriott has an indoor/outdoor combined pool, but the front desk told me it was only as useable as an outdoor pool would be - in that sort of weather.)

Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 08:16 PM

tia, I am not sure why you are needing an indoor and outdoor pool. Like I mentioned if it is to do lap swimming on a daily basis, then 60 degree outdoor weather in an 80+ water degree outdoor pool will be fine.

If you are hoping to use the pool as a family recreational activity while relaxing at the hotel then those pools typically should be heated to around 90 degrees, both options give you water temps warmer than the outside air.

If you want to sit around the pool, February has been unusually cool and rainy this year.
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

It would be for family rec activity with young children. First of all they like variety, which is why multiple pool options would be great.

Some of the days are calling for rain, which at 60 degrees outside, seems like it would unpleasant in an outdoor situation regardless of how warm they keep the water.

But on a sunny 63 degree day, the kids might opt for outside. That's why I'd like to have both options. Am I still thinking about it wrong?

Also - how much should I factor in chilliness near the coast? Would we have a better shot using an outdoor pool in Anaheim (and having no view) than taking a chance on a property on the coast, such as Huntington Beach?
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 09:13 PM

The coast may be a bit more windy, but I don't think you'll feel a substantial difference in the weather otherwise. I agree that Anaheim is a bit of a bore, unless you're heading to Disneyland for multiple days. You will typically find a bunch of chain restaurants there.

Hotels in Southern California rarely have indoor pools. The only one I could recommend is the gorgeous, historic indoor pool at the LA Athletic Club in downtown LA, where I spent many hours of my childhood. I'm not sure if you have to be a member to stay there, but downtown is obviously not what you are looking for.

Personally, I would recommend that you stay in Fashion Island in Newport Beach. We have stayed at the Newport Beach Marriott (not the Bayview mentioned earlier), which is located on Newport Center Drive. The outdoor pool is really nice, and the advantage is that you can walk over to Fashion Island. It's not your typical boring mall, as it is outdoors, and people always walk around with their interesting dogs, and there are some decent restaurants there. The Barnes and Noble there is one of the best anywhere, and they have a nice, large children's section. Oh, and you are just down the road from Balboa Island, where there is a beach along the boardwalk there, with no waves, great for children. You can take the fun ferry across to a small amusement park, with a ferris wheel and bumper cars. Newport is a really nice area, I think you'll enjoy it there.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, those all sound like great options. That's definitely a key area we want to explore. Do you have any experience with the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, or the Newport Coast Villas?
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 07:59 PM

We have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, and it's a different beast than the Marriott in Fashion Island. I believe there is more acreage at the Hyatt, and the nature trails there are really nice. However, Jamboree Road, where the Hyatt is located is quite busy, and it feels isolated to me being there, and trying to get in and out of the hotel. If you and you family like staying in one place, and having all your meals there, then it might be a better choice. However, the Marriott is just across the street from Fashion Island, and I would have preferred it for my family, simply because we could walk across the street to Fashion Island. I can imagine a scenario where my younger son would want to rest, and my husband would take the older one over to walk around. It all depends on you family, but either way is fine.

I have not seen the inside of the Marriott Newport Coast Villas, but that is a good location as well. If you want a mini apartment with a kitchen, then that may be your best choice. I personally do not like staying in condo-type places, because I prefer being fussed over in a hotel. However, that may suit you just fine.

I forgot to mention that Crystal Cove in Newport Beach has some wonderful tide pooling. Also, Laguna Beach is close enough for a day trip, especially if you like art.