Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel Valencia Santana Row (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-valencia-santana-row-644981/)

ngoldman Sep 7th, 2006 01:12 PM

Hotel Valencia Santana Row

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Valencia Santana Row? Also, I understand there is valet parking for $15 and free public parking near the hotel. How far is the free public parking from the hotel?

cabovacation Sep 7th, 2006 01:19 PM

I have not stayed at the hotel, but it is very highly regarded as far as I have heard. There is a lot of public parking all around it - but the lots get crowded by afternoon and evening, so if you have to carry luggage around it might be difficult. Otherwise, you should be able to park easily enough. Although $15 isn't bad if you have in and out privileges.
Have you been to Santana Row?

ngoldman Sep 7th, 2006 01:31 PM

Thanks for your info. We will be staying at the hotel in early October and I was wondering about the area and what is there to do. I originally posted a questions about the restaurants in the area.

cabovacation Sep 7th, 2006 11:20 PM

Santana Row is a nice faux European shopping mall. It comprises a perhaps three blocks of boutiques and stores and restaurants. It is a pleasant place to stroll. But aside from eating, shopping or a movie, there isn't anything to do in the area. Avoid the Winchester Mystery House at any cost!! Basically you are in San Jose and can do whatever there is to do in that city or the surrounding areas - which is plenty - but Santana Row is not in an interesting area itself.

ngoldman Sep 8th, 2006 07:24 AM

Thanks once again for your advice. Which areas in San Jose would you classify as interesting and how far are they from Sanatana Row?

trippinkpj Sep 9th, 2006 04:23 PM

Valley Fair Mall (again shopping!), across Stevens Creek Blvd. is a fun and large mall. Other places I like in the area are downtown Campbell and Los Gatos. And a lot of the area in San Jose and Campbell are accessible by buses and the light rail.

cabovacation Sep 9th, 2006 06:21 PM

The one art museum is downtown, small but nice and I believe cooperates with the Whitney. San Jose is not particularly interesting. How much time and what transportation and what are your interests when you visit a city?

ellenbw Sep 9th, 2006 07:11 PM

I have not stayed at the Hotel Valencia but I have looked at their rooms. Sort of urban sophisticated look, although the rooms are on the small side. It's a really fun area. I wouldn't bother with valet parking unless you arrive on a weekend night when it can very busy. Lots of restaurants and smaller stores although Borders and Crate and Barrel are there along with smaller boutiques. There is a farmers market on Sunday mornings and musical performances or cooking demos etc, frequently on the weekends. It's a nice place. I agree that Los Gatos is a fun little town to spend time in, about 10 miles south. Also there is the Tech museum in downtown San Jose, the Santa Clara mission (very beautiful), the Triton art museum and the Intel tech museum in nearby Santa Clara. yes, as cabovacation warned, avoid the Winchester Mystery House (aka tourist trap!). The Santa Cruz beach is 45 min south if you want to knock around a beach town for the day.

trippinkpj Sep 10th, 2006 06:27 AM

I've been to the Winchester Mystery House a couple of times. I found it interesting, though not a great tourist spot. I do have a friend that did a near Halloween time night tour, which she really liked. My take on it is, if you can get a discount especially a 2 for one, it may be fun for you. At full price, I wouldn't bother.

Armani_Rugpilot Sep 11th, 2006 12:49 AM

It's a chick hotel and bar and restuarants there. More hip (she say here). I am typing.

The hole world is know for the Half Moon Bay pumpkin contest festival you know this? Far driving worht a great trip if you leav early to miss the 200 cars one lane roading.
http://www.miramarevents.com/pumpkinfest/

Fantasy for Halloween at Uesugi Farms in Morgan Hill haunted House and haunted fields. 1ST Class haunted farms there. Also Pirates in Fremont 1ST class. Early October dates too have the shows. Not for only 31st.

Antiqies stores on same street if she cross over the HWY 17 (AKA 880) mabye you shipping home some furnitures -and collectibles. (toward dry hills.). And it change for San Carlos st. to Steven Creek Blvd. Next you finding afamous Falaffel Drive-In.

We like for the farmers market's Campell, Los Gatos , San Jose. Hiking any side. Is the valley on floor where you staying. Live music at S.Row and reading the metro here before you landing for the airport:

http://www.metroactive.com/

Blowfish Sushi, Sino Chinese, Amber Indian, Straits fusion, all for the dining in Snatna Row. Anycountry food is there. They haveing all of those.

Family playing chess outside for free at many tables - they ahve the giant size chess one there always for picutres if the kids.

Parking for free only across the way East or West inside Santaaa Row on two direction for easily. One has garage and one has the asphalt lot. I'm park there so many time. It's a good think.

Sometime we having business and meet for there and so mich night life in the Row.

Do seek truth in all your travels and you will never be steered, redlined, or declined.

AR