Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel suggestions Oceanside or Fallbrook CA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-suggestions-oceanside-or-fallbrook-ca-796154/)

Toucan2 Jul 17th, 2009 06:03 PM

Hotel suggestions Oceanside or Fallbrook CA?

I'm attending a wedding at the end of September. The wedding itself is at the Grand Tradition in Fallbrook, but my friend whose daughter is getting married lives in Oceanside. We will be there for the weekend, so at her place a bit too. I am completely unfamiliar with that part of CA and when I look around I don't know how much distances are impacted by traffic etc.

I can't decide if I should try to stay close to one or the other, or in between somewhere, and find myself completely helpless in this matter. I'm usually not this bad, really! Anyway, I'm perfectly fine with something on the order of a Hampton Inn (in fact I think their beds are great). Are there any Fodorites from the area with any suggestions for me on where to stay?

Toucan2 Jul 19th, 2009 09:34 AM

Anyone? Boy, inquiries to drop to the bottom fast with the new board format, don't they? I haven't posted many inquiries since the change. This is one of my first experiences with getting no responses, so naturally the question drops from view :(

MomDDTravel Jul 19th, 2009 09:42 AM

Toucan - I would not stay in fallbrook. I live in Orange County and have lived in Southern California for most over 20 years.

I would stay in Oceanside - but Oceanside can be a little dicey.

How much time will you be AT the daughter's house or on your own at the hotel etc? Where are you flying in and out of? San Diego, Orange County or LAX?

September is traditionally my favorite time at the beach in California - all the kids are back in school and it is usually very warm. If you go a little south of Oceanside to say Carlsbad I am a bigger fan - but I would need to know more about how much time you will have on your own and what you are looking to "do" in that time. Do you like the beach?

Oceanside and Fallbrook are about 20 miles apart but the freeway can get busy during peak hours. It is 42 miles from Carlsbad to Fallbrook to give you an idea.

Barbara Jul 19th, 2009 10:19 AM

According to my map, it's only 23 miles from Carlsbad to Fallbrook. You wouldn't be on the freeway for long, only a few exits.

I'd opt for somewhere in Carlsbad rather than Oceanside. You'd be close to Oceanside and your friend's house, but there are more hotels to choose from in Carlsbad.

ksucat Jul 19th, 2009 10:22 AM

totally agree with Barbara and MomDD..O-side is dicey, imo and Carlsbad is the best option..
Four Seasons Aviara and La Costa resorts for the high end and probably some great deals in September..check expedia.com

thereyet Jul 19th, 2009 10:32 AM

Carlsbad for sure...as a former resident of Oceanside....it is a Marine town...and caters to Marine's fancies. :) If you need a dry cleaners, you would have your pick in Oceanside, really short haircuts too. (pun intended)

thereyet

MomDDTravel Jul 19th, 2009 10:36 AM

Barbara - I just did a fast google map so maybe it was from the furthest distances?

I have enjoyed my stays recently at La Costa - I know people here are not really big fans but I found the new spa great and the redone rooms very nice. The food was outstanding as well.

Barbara Jul 19th, 2009 10:44 AM

Dawn, I just did town to town on Mapquest and on Microsoft Streets and Trips.

Toucan2,

There are some nice hotels close to the beach in Carlsbad, although not as upscale (or expensive) as La Costs or Aviara.

ksucat Jul 19th, 2009 10:58 AM

La Quinta Inn is $89 a night, Hampton Inn $119 and La Costa is $239..
Have fun and report back!

LOL Barbara on your typo for La Costa as La Costs..

Barbara Jul 19th, 2009 12:36 PM

ksucat,

LOL! I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Usually I notice typos at the moment I click on "submit"! :)

Toucan2 Jul 19th, 2009 03:03 PM

Thanks all for the tips! I knew that parts of Oceanside were rather sketchy, and just didn't know where to start. (My friend's place is of course not sketchy :) ) I figure we will be on our own some, especially Saturday during the day as there will be busy family things, but I wanted to be accessible. Barb did mention Carlsbad, so I will focus my efforts there. I love the beach! I am a west coast girl transplanted to the midwest, and so I do get to missing the ocean. I will probably get as much as I can. I will fly into LAX, and will spend Friday afternoon and Monday with friends in Manhattan Beach, so all in all I ought to have a well rounded long weekend. Thank very much for the ideas to focus my efforts!

MomDDTravel Jul 19th, 2009 04:26 PM

I would stay in carlsbad - there are a couple of hotels right off the freeway closer to the beach even then La Costa (and yes LOL to your typo Barb!)

Toucan2 Aug 20th, 2009 05:17 PM

Just wanted to post a thank you to all of you for your advice. I got the Hilton Garden Inn in Carlsbad. It says it is directly across the street from the ocean, and most TA reviews seem good. They had a pre-pay option where I got the room for $143 a night. I'll report back after the trip. Thanks again! :)

Toucan2 Oct 6th, 2009 03:20 PM

So, reporting back. It was an absolutely great weekend. The hotel was fine, with some of the nicest hotel staff I've ever met. We weren't there a lot, but really enjoyed the location. It is across the street from the beach, with this caveat...At that point the access down to the beach is a bit of a clamber. I break easily (don't ask) so instead we just walked down a ways to a less steep and rocky access.

It was a lot of fun to walk out the hotel, across the street, coffee in hand, and watch all the surfers paddling out to catch waves. As I said, we walked down a ways then down to the beach, sat on some rocks and drank our morning coffee.

It's also easy access on the road fronting the hotel to go back into Carlsbad for shopping, coffee, dinner, and on the Sunday morning south almost to Encinatas (I think I just spelled that wrong) for breakfast at "A Little More" with friends.

So, thank you again for helping me decide earlier, it was great advice!

MomDDTravel Oct 6th, 2009 04:42 PM

glad it turned out well!