Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel St. Pierre - location safety? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-st-pierre-location-safety-102144/)

MitchG Jan 25th, 2001 10:31 AM

Hotel St. Pierre - location safety?

I am going to NO in May with a group of people, and we are considering the Hotel St. Pierre (mostly due to price and group availability - the Historic French Market Inn was in the running until I read this board). My question is about the safety, after dark, of the location. It is on Burgundy, two blocks above Bourbon - everybody seems to say that you don't want to be North of Bourbon, so that's what has me concerned. Any thoughts?

Jamison Jan 25th, 2001 01:24 PM

I wouldn't do it. I don't think it's necessarily unsafe but it seemed spooky to my wife.

Meg Jan 25th, 2001 02:14 PM

I live across the street from the St. Pierre. The location is certainly a quiet change from Bourbon, but we've never had any problems. Since you mention you're traveling with a group, I think you will be fine. I don't wander around the neighborhood alone after dark, but I have walked my two small dogs around the block after dark - in the early evening - certainly not alone at 10 p.m. or anything - which could be creepy. The area is primarily residential, so you don't have a steady stream of tourists, etc. that create the traffic on Bourbon. Please let me know if you need anymore information.

John Jan 25th, 2001 02:42 PM

"Spooky" probably just means not many people around, right Jamison? I park near the hotel quite often when going clubbing or to dinner in the Quarter and I've never had a problem. A couple or group of people will be fine. <BR> <BR>That having been said, I don't recommend the hotel. It has a reputation for being somewhat dirty. As I said on another post, if you find something too cheap in New Orleans you'll probably not be happy with it!

MitchG Jan 25th, 2001 08:43 PM

John - I appreciate the sentiment about the hotel. The problem is that many in the group want to keep the room cost at or under $100 (the theory is that we really won't spend much time at the hotel except to sleep). If we want to stay in the Quarter, that seems to leave us with a choice of Hotel St. Pierre, or the Historic French Market Inn. We were actually ready to go with the latter until I read the horror stories - I think the person organizing our tour may still talk to them and confront them with the reputation they have and see what they say (or if they'll offer us a guarantee of some kind in writing). The location of the French Market Inn seems ideal.

John Jan 26th, 2001 05:10 AM

Hey Mitch, <BR>While I sympathize with the desire to save money (we all have this desire!) I can also tell you that $100 won't get you much in the Quarter. I really can't recommend either the Historic FM Inn (not near the French Market, despite the name!) or St. Pierre. Try the Chateau, Place D'armes, Le Richelieu, Provincial or one of the B&Bs at www.marigny.net. Of course, when you're traveling makes a big difference as the spring is usually pretty busy and hence rates are higher.