Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel Sausalito or Casa Madrona Hotel - Sausalito

Jan 14th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Trish

We have an opportunity to stay at either of these hotels in the near future. Have any of you stayed at either of these? If so, which is your favorite and why. Thank you.

Jan 15th, 2003, 08:05 AM
gail

I would choose Hotel Sausalito if I wanted to be closer to the stores and the waterfront. The rooms looks nicer than the Casa Madrona(on the web). I have always wanted to stay at the Casa Madrona in one of the little houses. We walked through the complex last year and it looked nice and clean. They have really remodeled it so it feels less funky than it was years ago. It is somewhat removed from the hustle and bustle of the little city. Now that we have stayed at the Inn above the Tide we are spoiled so I doubt if we would stay at either. The Hotel Sausalito is next store to the IAT so it is very close to the water, but I am not sure the HS has a view. It may be blocked. I would to check to see if you would have a view or a fireplace before choosing. Don't miss a walk along the houseboat village (near 101).

Jul 8th, 2003, 04:21 AM

We are also considering these two hotels.

At the Casa Madrona, we would be staying in a deluxe room (no patio, garden/courtyard view - I was told you look out at a walking path) with queen bed with sitting area with bedroom several steps up in the new expansion part. At the Hotel Sausalito, we could have a room with a queen bed with a park view, no patio either.

Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels and could offer some suggestions? The Hotel Sausalito appears to have lovely rooms all nicely decorated but smaller in size than the Casa Madrona. On the internet, it appears that at the Casa Madrona there's a wide variety of room types and appearances (some updated, some not). Both include continental breakfast but at the Hotel Sausalito you have to get your breakfast at the cafe next door. Since this is a business trip for my husband, I will be spending time exploring Sausalito (we were there for just a few hours in April) and relaxing at the hotel we select, I would like an nicely appointed, comfortable room. I would also like to be able to look out a window at something even though it may not be the bay.

Trish or anyone else, which hotel did you stay in and what did you think of it? Thanks for any information or suggestions you have to offer.
Jul 8th, 2003, 08:22 AM

I'll try one more time - anyone have any info to share? I need to make my choice soon. Thanks.
Jul 8th, 2003, 02:59 PM

Casa Madronna is great. We have stayed there many times, the last visit was in May. We stayed in the newer section last time...deluxe rooms with loft and large bathroom dressing area. These are very nice but I prefer the older section in which many of the rooms have decks or patios overlooking the harbor and across to San Francisco. Casa Madrona is one of my favorite spots and Sausalito is wonderful. Enjoy your trip!!!
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Thank you, Chico for the information. We made our reservation and we will also be in the new expansion section in a deluxe room with the bedroom loft area. I know we will enjoy our stay at Casa Madrona.