Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   HOTEL REWARDS PROGRAMS (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-rewards-programs-84296/)

lorri Aug 25th, 2000 07:04 AM

HOTEL REWARDS PROGRAMS

Being new to the frequent flyer game, I have no idea which hotel chain offeers the best rewards program. I am torn between Marriott and Starwood. Any body have any experience using these for rooms or airline mileage?

Lori Aug 25th, 2000 09:56 AM

I don't travel all that frequently, but we've had great experience with the Marriott Preferred program. Points are chalked up at all of their chains (including Farfield Inns, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inns, Renaissance Hotels and Resorts). Redeeming the certificates hasn't been a problem as long as you allow time for them to be mailed to you before your travel date. <BR> <BR>We use the Hotel Choice program offered by the Comfort/Clarion/Quality/EconoLodge conglomerate also, but haven't acctually chalked up enough points for a free stay yet. I know for sure that EconoLodge stays don't accrue points towards the program, so you may want to check before booking the Rodeway and Sleep Inns - I'm not familiar with those chains at all, but I believe they're more of a low-cost outfit.

John Aug 25th, 2000 01:38 PM

I think you'll be pleased with either Starwood or Marriott. Starwood has more upscale hotels (Westin, Sheraton, W) while Marriott covers the entire spectrum, from JW Marriotts, Renaissance and Ritz down to Fairfield Inn.

howard Aug 25th, 2000 05:32 PM

I belong to most of the major hotel rewards programs and find the Marriott's to be the best. Being able to use the points at Courtyards, etc., really helps you get the most for your points. Also, knowing that all its properties are company owned and managed gives you the security of knowing that the quality is consistent. <BR>Further, you can earn Marriott Reward points in a variety of ways. For example, I earn Marriott points each month through AT&T's rewards program. <BR>

lorri Aug 25th, 2000 05:42 PM

Howard- ATT&T is my long distance provider. I'll have to call and find out about adding this to my mileage. This is a perk I want to take advantage of. We've been traveling to Europe on our own the past 3 years, and the credit card really gets a work out. Thank you all for your input.

howard Aug 25th, 2000 05:48 PM

Lorri: <BR>I'm not sure how widespread the AT&T rewards program is. Last year, I was told that it was being used in NY (where I live) and another state. But since it took them months and months to set the program up and working, who knows what it is now. I have two phone lines which I also use for business, so my AT&T bill can total $150-plus a month, so my rewards are decent. <BR>Anyway, it certainly can't hurt to give AT&T a call and ask if there is a rewards program in your area.