Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > ** Hotel Review - The Magnolia - Downtown Houston ***

** Hotel Review - The Magnolia - Downtown Houston ***

Jul 8th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

** Hotel Review - The Magnolia - Downtown Houston ***

I'm usually on the Canada forums as we are planning our honeymoon right now, but I wanted to hop over to the Texas forum and give a review of a hotel that my fiancé and I stayed in during the July 4th weekend.

We stayed in the Magnolia Hotel on Texas Ave. It was FABULOUS!!! We stayed in their smallest room with a King Bed. It?s the average size of a typical hotel room. The bathroom was AMAZING!!!! Marble counters, nice tile floors, and huge mirror!! The tub was magnificent - garden sized tub. Excellent shower head and over the top shower accessories (shampoo, body soap, etc). You know you are staying in a great hotel when the shampoo and soap is not Suave; better yet nothing you?ve ever used!!

We brought a bottle of wine with us and we were joking in the car that we were probably going to have to drink our wine out of the regular glasses that all hotel rooms usually provide, but to our amazement not only did they provide regular sized glasses, coffee cups, but also wine glasses!! They also have a safe for you to use in the room and a stocked fridge. Of course, you have to pay for whatever you eat or drink!

The room rate included what they call "evening reception" which is two complimentary drinks during happy hour as well as food to snack on. It also included cookies and milk at 9 pm and complementary breakfast which was AMAZING!!

We didn?t have too many interactions with the employees, partially because we were out and about on the town. We were familiar with Houston Downtown but we did know we wanted to walk to a sports bar to watch the Astros - Rangers game and the girl at the desk pointed us in the right direction and gave us a map! We watched the fireworks at Minute Maid stadium from the rooftop pool and it was great!

The *only* bad side of this hotel is that the pool is tiny (3 ft deep). We didn?t really mind because we were just relaxing next to the pool waiting for fireworks and there wasn?t enough room inside the pool for kids to get us all wet with cannon bombs!

Overall, we loved this hotel! We would definitely stay there again!
Jul 15th, 2004, 11:22 AM

We were there the same weekend, and also loved it. We started at the Hyatt, also downtown, because we got a great rate. When the Hyatt rate went up, we moved to Magnolia and were glad we did. Both hotels were nice, clean etc, but Magnolia went the extra mile. It had more charm, better beds and more amenities than the Hyatt. Oh, and Magnolia's rooftop pool was amazing at night.

Just thought I'd add my two cents.
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the review. I'll be staying there at the end of August and now I'm really!!! looking forward to it.
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM

TexOctWed... what a nice review.
I was you, once. I was amazed at some of the hotels I would get to stay at when I first got into the travel industry.
So often, many of us forget what it was like to be new to all this.
Most of the hotels I stay at offer the services you outline and sometimes I do not even notice.
I'm not sure what I am trying to say, but I envy your "freshness" and wish I could see these things for the first time again myself.

Are you getting married in Texas?
Sep 5th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Now that I've stayed at the Magnolia I wanted to include my comments.

The Magnolia is fabulous. It's our new favorite get-away. The location is great too. It's half way between the Theater District and Minutemaid. It's a block from Main Street and the light rail line. We took it to Reliant for a Show. We never had a problem with service as some have mentioned. The pool and work out centers were both always empty when we went.

Our only draw back was there really isn't much to do around there during the day so have a plan or just relax.

We highly recommend it.

Search this Thread