hotel question re suites

Search

hotel question re suites

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel question re suites

Planning a trip in NYC with 5 other women (old college friends). Looking for a nice, but not "break the bank" place to stay that might have a 2 bedroom suite that could sleep six or 2 suites that could sleep 3 each. Looking for a good location- either east side near the shopping or soho area- not times square area. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:02 AM

You should probably look at Oakwood or other similar corporate lodging company.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:14 AM
GoTravel

The Affina Properties (Surrey, Shelburne Murray Hill, Eastgate Towers etc) have 2 bedroom apartments as does the Salisbury Hotel.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:26 AM

Just a heads up that even in a 2 bedroom suite, under the best of circumstances (2 queen beds in each bedroom and a sofa bed for 2 in the living room) some of you would be sharing beds and there would be a lot of bathroom sharing. GoTravel I think reported 2 bedrooms at the affinia group being pricier than 2 one bedroom suites. Also be aware that the affinia rooms (studios, one and two bedrooms) all have kitchen(ettes) which are convenient, but you are paying some sort of premium for that.

If the objective is to stay somewhere decent but as cheap as possible, I'd just look for the best price for 3 double rooms (or 2 triples, again assuming some don't mind sharing beds or sleeping on a pull out or roll away).

If the objective is to all stay together (to relive dorm life) I'd phone affinia and speak to someone about options. You could also check some of the bigger hotel chains like the Hilton or the Sheraton (both have big hotels in the mid fifties on 6th ave. )and see whether they have suites with connecting rooms. This option is not something IMO you can do online. You have to call. Some other hotels worth phoning
the Warwick
the Blakely

Short of that, some names of other places that have suites in the east fifties shopping area

The San Carlos
The Kimberly
The Lombardy

The Melrose is right near Bloomingdales and was once an all woman's hotel called the Barbizon. Might be fun to check with them about options. They also have a health club with a lap pool in the building you can use as a hotel guest.

There are very few hotels in Soho and they're pricey (Soho Grand and 60 Thompson). There's a relatively new Four Points by Sheraton in Chelsea. If you can get it cheap, that's an idea but last I looked prices had skyrocketed.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 11:20 AM

I second the Kimberly--it's exactly what you are looking for.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 11:19 PM

Try Best Western Hospitality House - 2 bedroom suite with kitchen/lounge area.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:12 AM

Great tip. Hadn't heard of this place.