Reload this Page >

Hotel Question for Lake Tahoe and Newport Beach, CA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 10:12 AM
allen

I am planning a trip in September with my family. This will be our first visit to both areas and am trying to decide on hotels. Lake Tahoe - Harvey's, Harrah's or Caesar's Palace. Newport Beach - Hyatt Newporter or Marriott Beach and Tennis Resort. If anyone has any experiences or preferences, I would appreciate hearing about them. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 08:55 PM
Don

SKIP Newport Beach and instead go to the Ritz-Carlton in Laguna Beach (Dana Point). You'll be glad you did!!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Cali

It kind of depends on what you want to do. The Ritz Carlton is very nice but I think I like being around Newport Beach lots more. Lots more restaurants, shops, etc. right there. If you go to the Ritz Carlton you have a ways to go to Laguna Beach (which is fun) or Dana Point (not all that great in my mind). Give us an idea what you have in mind and we can help more.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 06:35 AM
gail

If you are looking for glitz. Ceasers would be your choice of the Tahoe selections.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 09:37 AM
allen

Don, Cali and Gail,

Thank you for your responses, they are very helpful. We thought Newport Beach as a central location to drive down to Legoland one day, visit Disneyland one day and spend a day shopping at Fashion Island or South Coast Plaza.

In Tahoe we are considering doing some boating and fishing, biking or horseback riding, things my 6 year old son might enjoy. We're not looking for glitz and luxury in hotels as much as nice and comfortable. Thanks again for your input.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 10:33 AM
xx

The Ritz in Dana Point is beautiful, but quite pricy and very limiting for options around the hotel. I don't think it would be a place to stay with children. Go for Newport instead.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Robin

I haven't stayed at either of the Newport hotels, as I live in the area, but the facilities are very nice. The people who recommend the Ritz Carlton are right-- it's really special-- but it is much more expensive and more remote.

I'm not sure which Marriott is the Beach and Tennis resort (there are several in the area). Is it the one right at Fashion Island, not too far from the Hyatt? If so, try to stay in the tower, where you may get a view. I just remembered that I did stay there once, in a room that was almost underground (a passageway to the rooms was dropped down abbout six feet below the grounds next door). I did not like that at all. The rest of the facilties, however, look very nice. From there you can walk to everything (stores, theatres, restaurants) in Newport Center.

I might prefer the Hyatt overall though, as the grounds and setting are prettier. Probably no view there though.

Hope this helps. And if I've got the wrong Marriott, perhaps I can give you some insight on another one.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 10:24 PM
Don

Alright, then -- SKIP the Ritz and instead stay directly ON Laguna Beach! It's a very beautiful area and still quite preferable to Newport -- AND, there is PLENTY of interesting walking around to do as well in the "city" of Laguna!

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 07:11 AM
gail

When my son was that age, he loved the CalNeva Lodge (actually we still do).The main attraction is the pool in which you can swim from CA to Nevada and the Ballroom area where there is a dotted line.It is on the other side of the Lake and it is not as fancy as the more popular side.It is worth a visit though.Richardson's Resort is a great place to stay in cabins or a little house. It is right on the lake.We also went to the Ponderosa Ranch, but it is only recently that he even knows who "Little Joe" and "Hoss" were!

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 11:36 AM
allen

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I really appreciate your help.

Don, I have to admit I know nothing about Laguna Beach other than "artsy beach community" I must have read somewhere. Any hotel and restaurant recommendations? For hotels, we usually stay at Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott, looking for airline program, AAA or Govt. rates wherever possible. Also how far is Laguna from Newport? Thanks again.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Todd

I will be going to Lake Tahoe for the third consecutive winter and staying at Harrahs for the third time as well. I am sure that the other hotels are nice but it is hard for me to imagine that they could be any nicer or the staff could be more friendly than Harrahs. Good Luck!