Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel near United Center for Blackhawks game?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Can anyone please help me with a recommendation for a good hotel near the United Center? I'll be in town in Nov. without a car for just a couple nights to catch a Blackhawks home game. Target budget would be somewhere in the $150ish (maybe more?) per night range for one adult. I'll be traveling alone (I'm female), so I'd be willing to pay more if necessary if there's something that seems more convenient, safer, etc.

Thanks!
Lutece (in Paris, France)
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 03:37 AM

There are NO hotels adjacent to or within walking distance of the United Center. It is on West Madison Street in the near West side an area that is "gentrifying". You are about a 5-10 minute taxi ride from the center of Chicago, "the loop", so check out some of those hotels. Have you used priceline?
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks joethekay! I know I'm going to have to take a taxi to the UC, no biggie. It seems like there are plenty of hotels in the general area, so I'm just looking perhaps for a couple of specific hotels to check out. I'll be sure to check out hotes in "the loop" as you advice. Not really a fan of Priceline, (maybe I'm just a chicken!)but I've done some preliminary searches on Orbitz/Travelocity, etc. I'll do some more digging...
Thanks again, and I'm happy to hear more advice, too!
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Just took another look at hotels and it looks like my budget should be $200/night.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:54 AM

You can also take the Number 19 bus. CTA operates a shuttle from the Water Tower to UC during events. It begins two hours before the event and returns up to one hour after.

You can board it southbound on Michigan Ave or westbound on Madison. Return buses leave from the Madison entrance of UC. The fare is $2. You can view a map and schedule at www.transitchicago.com.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:55 AM

The United Center's immediate surroundings are kind of gross so you won't want to stay there very long anyway. Close to the Loop though.

Have fun at the game, you'll be one of maybe twenty people in attendance.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 06:08 AM

I stayed at the Chicago Hilton last month while in town for business. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the room was.

I had a nice sized room that had a view of Grant Park and Lake Michigan. It was a relatively easy walk to public transportation and I believe just a few blocks from Madison.

I don't remember the rate so I won't suggest that it is the most economical place you can stay.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I am impressed that someone is going out of their way to see a Hawks game. Buy a cheap seat and move down.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM

We stayed at the Palmer House when we saw a concert at the United Center. Bus #19 was very convenient. Lots of buses lined up right outside the door of the United Center after the show, making it easy to return.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 07:05 AM

If I were you I would definately do Priceline. Unless there is a major convention in the city, you can stay at some top hotels for ~$100 per night through Priceline.

Pick the "Name your own price" on Priceline.

First try a 4 star hotel in the North Michigan, River North Area. Offer what you feel comfortable with.

If it's refused, do the same offer in the Millennium Park, Grant Park, Loop Areas.

If that gets refused, lower your star pick to 3 stars and repreat the above described excersize. One area at a time.

Some of the 3 star hotels offered by Priceline:

3 Star
Marriott Chicago Downtown LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
Radisson Hotel & Suites - Downtown Chicago
Crowne Plaza Allerton
Embassy Suites Lakefront LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
Hilton Suites Magnificent Mile (former Doubletree Guest Suites) LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
Chicago City Centre Hotel & Sports Club (formerly Holiday Inn City Centre (Navy Pier) LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
Hotel Amalfi Chicago
Holiday Inn Mart Plaza LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
Affinia Hotel

You can save 1/2 of the cost and stay in a nice downtown/loop area major hotel.

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies!!! I have a room booked at the Chicago Hilton with a decent fully refundable rate so I can hunt around some more using all your fine advice but still have a nice room in the meantime.

As for the Hawks, well, I just love all that negative energy from some of you folks! ;-) Believe me, I can see how the team has alienated some (OK, most) of their fans. (I still pine for the long-gone days of Roenick, Amonte, Chelios, etc.) That said, I have a friend working for the team now, hence my renewed interest. My fingers are crossed for a breakthrough year, even though I know you all think it's hopeless...I just hope you're wrong...

Happy travels to all!
Lutece
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM
dmlove

Linda, no comment on your hotel choice (sounds good, but I have no idea), but commenting (OT) on your pining for the "old days" -- my beloved Sharks just got Roenick; I always couldn't stand him, now I have to like him?

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM

I am a Ranger fan but old enough to have seen Hull, Mikita, and Hall.

I too have a friend who is a coach for a losing team and it is painful.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
dmlove

Not sure which is worse -- being a fan of an always-losing team (the current Blackhawks) or being a fan of a team that's always terrific in the regular season, but can't get over the hump in the playoffs (the current Sharks)?

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM

I would like to salute a fellow female who would make it a point to see a hockey game while in a new city. Me too. You will be able to get great seats in Chicago.

Re Sharks and playoffs: As a Bruins fan, I would suggest its the Curse of Big Joe.

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 10:45 AM
dmlove

Just to add that I'm a "fellow female", too.

Re Big Joe - no curse -- the guy is AWESOME in all capital letters. Even if we haven't made it out of the second round, we got the better of that trade

Lutece, sorry for the hijack (although I'm certain you appreciate it!)

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

dmlove - Yes, you have to like Roenick. You don't have to love him, but hopefully he'll help give the Sharks a little something special this season. And I mean on the ice, not with his famous mouth...which I love, of course. But I digress. Doug Wilson knows what he's doing. I trust he's thought this one through. Plus, at the league minimum for one year - what's the risk? I'm a California native, but my Kings are hopeless year after year. I'm still not sure how to feel about the Ducks, but Anaheim need something going for it, if you know what I mean...

Anyway, I hope your Sharks have a great season. Everyone's predicting good things for the team, so keep the faith.

As for hijacking the thread, well, bring it on. I LOVE IT! And the more female fans, the better, I say.

I'm being cautiously optimistic about the Hawks, with all their young talent. I'm looking forward to the preseason...did I really write that?...just to see how great these kids (Toews, Kane, Skille, etc.) really are.

Never get these interesting responses when I post about Paris in the European forum, needless to say. The lack of hockey in France is KILLING ME. The hubby and I are forced to watch sports on the computer.

Anyway, I digress. Looking forward to visiting Chicago. Maybe I'll have to do a trip/hockey report...
Lutece
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM
dmlove

So if you're a California native (and Kings fan) living in France, why the trip to Chicago for a Blackhawks game?

Also, I'm still not sure how to feel about the Ducks

I know exactly how I feel about the Ducks -- I hate 'em

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM

The Hawks have two very young forwards who are supposed to good Toews and Krane. Now all they need is a supporting cast.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Dmlove - Going to Chicago because it's an easy non-stop from Paris and on the way to Colorado to visit some family - some of whom are coming in from LA. (And who doesn't want the opportunity to get over jet-lag before visiting with their family!!!) With the connection to a friend who is with the Hawks, it was a no-brainer. I'm more partial to good hockey than I am to any particular team. And if I'm not mistaken, Chicago is a pretty cool town. I haven't been there in years, so I'm kind of jazzed to go from one great European city to a great American one.

Aduchamp1 - Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing Kane and Toews. We'll see how the Hawks offseason moves gel with their draft picks soon enough. Hope your team(s) do well this season. Nothing worse than bad hockey...except perhaps no hockey at all.

Apologies to all who were hoping to be reading about Chicago hotels at this point. We have seriously digressed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -