Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel near Smithsonian (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-near-smithsonian-400167/)

triptime Jul 23rd, 2008 02:05 PM

Hotel near Smithsonian

We are heading to DC to catch a Redskins game. We do not need a hotel near the stadium but would like one in walking distance to some of the sights especially the Smithsonian Museum. Can anyone recommend a moderately priced hotel in the area? I'm not sure where to start. Thanks.

Rich Jul 23rd, 2008 02:53 PM

We stay in Alexandria and take the Metro to the Mall . . drops you off right in the middle of the Smithsonian group of mesuems.

longhorn55 Jul 23rd, 2008 03:01 PM

As Rich suggested, you should look to hotels outside of D.C. which are near a Metro station and then just take the Metro to the Smithsonian station or to whichever station is nearest the site you want to visit. The hotels are likely to be more moderately priced than those in D.C. Look to hotels in Alexandria near the King Street Metro and to hotels in Arlington near the Crystal City, Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon or Ballston Metro stops.

mma Jul 23rd, 2008 03:22 PM

We are staying in a couple of weeks at the Residence Inn Capitol Hill. It is near a metro stop and doesn't seem too far away from the Smithsonian area. Have never stayed there before but thought the price was reasonable. Another poster told me the area was safe but it was an area of office buildings with nothing going on at night. When are you going? If it is after we return I can let you know how the hotel was -if it interests you.

Rich Jul 23rd, 2008 04:13 PM

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria. It's across the street from the King St. Metro

Nice hotel, short walk to "Old Town" and could not be handier to the Metro.

MikeT Jul 23rd, 2008 04:54 PM

I don't know why people ask for walking distance to the Mall, and are directed to Old Town which is a 20 minute Metro ride to the Mall.

I like the suggestion of the Residence Inn Capitol Hill. While a dull area, Leow's L'Enfant Plaza Often has cheap rates. There is also a Courtyard by Marriott in Chinatown.

Rich Jul 23rd, 2008 05:39 PM

Because it is a 2 minute walk from the Metro station to the museums . .

MikeT Jul 23rd, 2008 06:00 PM

"Because it is a 2 minute walk from the Metro station to the museums . ."

But 20 minutes, at a minimum, to get to and from the Mall. If someone wants to be near the Mall, they are looking for convenient and not having to add 20-30 minutes each way.

And the idea of getting to a Redskins game from Old Town is absurd.

Rich Jul 23rd, 2008 06:05 PM

sheees . .

NewbE Jul 23rd, 2008 07:45 PM

But what MikeT says is quite true! Plus, the idea that hotels outside DC are cheaper is generally false. It may be more the case around other cities, but Old Town Alexandria is a destination in and of itself, as are many DC suburbs, if only for business travelers. Finally, Rosslyn, to name just one, is every bit as dead after business hours as L'Enfant Plaza.

tovarich Jul 24th, 2008 01:27 AM

Hotel Harrington. Two blocks from the Mall and the White house.Paul

Dukey Jul 24th, 2008 02:20 AM

MikeT is correct about the timing and like it or not, sometimes it can take even longer than that 20 minutes.

"Moderately priced" can be interpreted in a variety of ways, also.

Amie11 Jul 24th, 2008 04:49 AM

I second the suggestion for the Loews L'Enfant Plaza - a five minute walk to the Smithsonian, and sits right on the metro for getting to the game. You can also walk to the monuments.

vjpblovesitaly Jul 24th, 2008 04:58 AM

As someone pointed out above, the Smithsonian is a group of museums. Here is the website so you can browse and decide what you want to see.

http://www.si.edu/

sumi Jul 24th, 2008 05:07 AM

Marriott Courtyard Convention Center. Great location -- 5 minutes walk to National Archives, 10 minutes to the central part of the Mall, across the street from the Reynolds Bldg which houses the Portrait Gallery. Smaller rooms but perfectly adequate for 2 people. We paid $135 on a weekend night in May with our AAA discount. (I have a review posted on the TA hotels section.)

mdc8k Jul 24th, 2008 11:39 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Capitol over fourth of july and thought it was fine. It was about $200 per night over a holiday weekend. It's a block away from the back entrance to the Air and Space Museum.