Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel Near Acadia NP (Maine) with Outdoor Pool?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister, her husband and their two children (boys age 8 and 11) are looking for a hotel in the Bar Harbor/Acadia area for next July or August. The children are very active and like swimming, so they are looking for a hotel with an outdoor pool. Their preference is to be on the water or have water views. Other activities on offer for children like nature walks, etc. would also be good. Price is not the issue, a good hotel with outdoor pool is their objective.

I have found the following, and would welcome comments as well as other suggestions:

Atlantic Oakes By-the-Sea
The Inn at Bay Ledge
Bar Habor Hotel - Blue Nose Inn
The Bayview
Atlantic Eyrie Lodge

Finally, would the Inn at The Keeper's House at Isle au Haut be appropriate for children? (I realize this does not have a pool, but it looks so interesting and unique.)

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 06:52 AM

I don't know anything about those particular hotels, but can tell you that Bar Harbor and Acadia are perfect for active children.

There are lots of ranger-led walks and programs available- pick up a newspaper from the visitor's center when you first get there.

We haven't stayed at the Keeper's House, but have day-hiked on Isle-au-Haut. I suspect it wouldn't be good for children, not sure if they really welcome them anyway-rates are quoted "per couple".

http://www.keepershouse.com/form.html
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Hi- We've stayed at the atlantic oakes for the past few years and love it. There are both indoor and outdoor pools as well as tennis, lots of grass for running around, a pier, and water views. There are a variety of accommodations. We stay in the main building which seems a bit newer and has balconies with nice views. There are also good rooms near the outdoor pool-- those are the rooms I would probably recommend for a family. Acadia has lots of activities for kids- park ranger programs, nature trails as well as "real" hikes, ice cream in bar harbor... and blueberry picking on the mountain trails in late july and august.
Hope they
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:22 PM

The Holiday Inn also has an outdoor pool.