Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel Monaco in Chicago? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-monaco-in-chicago-715111/)

2chicago Jun 21st, 2007 06:26 PM

Hotel Monaco in Chicago?

My husband and I will be in Chicago for one day/night and we are thinking of staying at the Monaco. Is this a good location for a quick stay? We are looking for a funky place in a great location.

yestravel Jun 21st, 2007 06:34 PM

Stayed there a couple years ago for a long weekend and really liked the Hotel Monaco. Thought the location was good -- we walked everywhere except when we took the train out to Oak Park. Have fun!

BeachGirl247 Jun 21st, 2007 08:11 PM

We stayed there a year ago. It wasn't quite up to par with the Seattle Hotel Monaco. The lobby was tired, the people not so attentive. The room resembled the one in Seattle but it was tired, dirty and just not very inviting, to be kind.

The location was very good and close to restaurants and wine bars. There was a wine bar across the main street (and I don't have my travel notes in front of me) but it had wine flights and cheeses to match and we really enjoyed it. We noticed many other places to go as well.

I hope it has been updated or cleaned up. It left us disappointed in Chicago.

Racy Jun 22nd, 2007 06:38 AM

I belive the wine bar the pp is referring to is Bin 36, which I agree is a nice spot for drinks/snacks (although I found the fine dining restaurant a bit eh for the price).

You could also try the new James hotel, which is on Rush around Ontario. Very hip scene!

blueslipper Jun 22nd, 2007 04:36 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco a couple of years ago and thought it was fun...always nice to see something unique. Since they allow pets, maybe some rooms aren't as well maintained? I thought some floors were pet-friendly and others weren't (for those who may have an allergy or two), but may be mistaken. I would stay there again....but there are so many other hotels I've yet to explore in Chicago!

Stephy Jun 23rd, 2007 09:52 AM

My husband and I stayed in this hotel this past May. It was a nice hotel. I liked how it was decorated and it is easy to get to a lot that downtown has to offer. Cab's are usually right out front. We had a view of the River and I loved sitting in the window seat.
If you are driving be sure to park in one of the garages that is affiliated or validates for this hotel. We used a different garage down the way and they were kinda sketchy. My Ipod charger was stolen from my car.
One word of advice. DO NOT stay in a room by the elevator! Our room was across from the elevator and if you're a light sleeper it will wake you up for most of the night.

Nevisian Jun 29th, 2007 11:21 AM

Hotel Monaco is a Kimpton hotel. They have two others in Chicago: The Allegro and The Burnham. I've not stayed at The Burnham but the Allegro is the old Biltmore on Randolph street. Kimpton did a nice job of rehab and redecorating. The rooms are small by Hyatt Standards but whose going to sta ing their rooms in the middle of Chicago's Loop? You might check them out at www.kimptonhotels.com. I've also gotten my family great prices at the Marriott on Michigan Ave. but make sure that they give you reservations at that specific hotel and don't accidentally-on-purpose put you at the O'Hare Marriott, which they did to us twice.

JJ5 Jun 29th, 2007 12:01 PM

I've gotten the Hotel Allegro twice on Priceline bids. I like it because it is attached to the Cadillac Palace Theatre as well.

But the River location can't be beat, IMHO. Any of the beauties alone the River are the best.