Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel Monaco-Chicago (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-monaco-chicago-205991/)

Pat Nov 8th, 2001 05:53 PM

Hotel Monaco-Chicago

Is this a good choice and is $159 a good rate? We want to go to the Van Gogh/Gaugin exhibit. Is Thanksgiving week a terrible time to come? <BR>

xxx Nov 8th, 2001 07:09 PM

I just wanted to let you know that the Chicago Art Institute will be closed on Thanksgiving... I believe I read someone's post somewhere on this site saying that it would be open.

patg Nov 8th, 2001 07:13 PM

It's a recently-redone hotel in a convenient location, at Wabash Avenue and Wacker Drive, about 5 short blocks to the Art Institute. Get your Van Gogh tickets in advance - it will save you time.<BR>www.artic.org (it may also be sold out that week!)<BR>Here is a good site for Chicago hotel rooms with some great specials, but your rate is pretty respectable. You could probably save a few dollars if you wanted to. The new Le Meridien had some very reasonable rates recently.

patg Nov 8th, 2001 07:22 PM

Oops, sent too soon. The Chicago hotel site is www.hotrooms.com<BR>Le Meridien is brand new, only about three blocks from the Monaco, and $149!<BR>

Pat Nov 9th, 2001 05:22 AM

We are limited in hotel choice by bringing our small dog. It is hard to get a pet sitter during the holidays. Le Meridien sounds nice. We actually would be in Chicago for two days after Thanksgiving. Thanks for the ticket tip. If we can't get them. we'll probably reschedule our trip. I found the site ending in .edu rather than .org. I'm going to call now!

ooo Nov 9th, 2001 06:12 AM

If you are bringing a pet, consider the House of Blues Hotel, part of the Loews chain. It is a really cool place in the River North area (not near the Art Institute, really, but easy cab distance).<BR><BR>All Loews hotels offer extensive pet services, including pet room service, pet sitting and walking, and pet amenities like bedding and bowls. There is no size limit on dogs and cats.<BR><BR>I am not affiliated with Loews but like the HOB Hotel and am impressed by the efforts they make to welcome pets.<BR><BR>Current rate for Thanksgiving week: $145. Join LoewsFirst if you stay for more benefits.

Shasson Nov 9th, 2001 11:57 AM

All 3 hotels (Le Meridian; Monaco; HOB) are good quality-good location hotels. Those are all good rates. House of Blues and Monaco are both "hip" and stylish hotels. My wife and I loved Monaco when we stayed there, and we like the atmosphere of the public spaces(ie: bar) of House of Blues Hotel. Le Meridian is on North Michigan Avenue, above the new-ish Nordstrom-centered mall. It is "classier" than the other two (which are NICE hotels, just a bit more nontraditional). No bad choices among them.

pat Nov 12th, 2001 04:54 AM

I was surprised to find that the new Le Meridien would allow pets. The toll free number quoted $200 + rates. The HOB is very appealing because we love blues music. I had tried once and availability wasn't showing for our dates.I wasn't home over the weekend but plan to check rates again and will try the hotels directly.Suggestions for other music clubs to visit while in Chicago? <BR><BR>Thanks to all!

Pat Nov 13th, 2001 04:15 AM

HOB update: The Loews site stated $125 rates in Chicago which I couldn't find on any date. I called the toll free line and was told those rates were only good during the holidays, which is when we want to stay. She said on the Sat. night of our stay the rate would be $300 due to a convention group there. After insisting to talk to a manager or web site administrator to find out when rates were valid, I was able to secure the rate. Now I see the rate is advertised as a 'Sea to Shining Sea' promo and all 3 nights were at the reduced rate. Thanks to the poster who motivated me to go check again!<BR>