Reload this Page >

Up to The Min. Hawaii Reports - Maui and off to Kaui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Anthony

I am writing this email from The Renaissance Wailea in Maui - ( Yes, had to get my Internet fix!)
This is the 2nd time in 3 yrs we are stayinh here, love the hotel, a great mix of a resort with an intimate feel to it - drove by Kaanpalli and MUCH prefer Wailea - the landscaping is wonderful here, and the hotels a set apart nicely here - plus there is a WONDERFUL seaside walk that connects all the hotels - great for jogging, strolling, visiting hotels, checking out the beaches -
We did enjoy Alexanders - very fresh fish, but just know that it's VERY casual - think of a beachside food shack -
We would also highly recommend Kimos in Lahina - it has great views ( The RC Vision of the Seas Cruise Ship is now docked in Maui - we had a great view of this giant ship from Kimos)and the food is very fresh, nicely prepared, and reasonably priced.
Had dinner at Jamonsons in Keihei last night, food was good, but service wasn't.
Off to see a cooking demonstration by Ming Tsai and Alan Wong today at the Keai Lai Hotel -
Off TO Kaui on Sat. ( Staying At the Hyatt and Hanalei Bay Resort)
Email me with any questions - I will give you an up to the min. response!

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 11:17 AM
lisa

Hi Anthony. We will be following close on your heels! Leaving tomorrow for the Renaissance Wailea for 5 days, followed by 5 days at Hanalei Bay Resort. Glad to hear so many good things about the hotel, and thanks for the restaurant report -- we will take your advice!

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 11:38 AM
Margot

Hi Anthony,
Was wondering if you have had a chance to stroll by any of the condos on the beach in the Wailea/Kihei area and if there were any you thought looked nice; not too upscale like the Kea Lani Villas, but still nice. We've got kids aged 8,11 and 12, so are looking for a fun place for them. Can you help?

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 07:07 PM
Karin Lohman

I need some advice on where to stay in Maui!! My son is getting married in Maui next summer. We need to know the best town part of the island for the wedding. They want a simple ceremony on the beach. Any recommendations ? Thanks, Karin

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Anthony

Second Report:
It's Sunday Morning, and we just finished a very nice continential Breakfast at the Regency Club at the Hyatt Kauai. ( Gold Passport upgrade )
The Hyatt is clearly the premier hotel on Kauai - with it's impressive architecture and grounds, one still feels very comfortable without pretense.
We had used United airlines hotel certificates to get 50 % off room rates - we reserved a garden view rm @ $355/nt (befoer discount) - and wanted to upgrade using Hyatts Gold Passport Points to Regency Club level - wasn't sure they would allow it since we were already using 50% off certificates - but they did - We were given a Ocean view rm!!!
The Regency Club is a very worthwhile service - there is a private living rm like club area that serves food and drinks all day - Breakfast in the morning, afternoon snanks, hors d'vores and wine at dinner time, and after dinner drinks and chocolates in the evenings. The club upgrade also allows entry to the ANARA Spa - we used the saunas and whirlpools yesterday - really wonderful - and planning to sign-up for massages.

In terms of condos in Maui - the condo complex inbetween The Renaissance and Outrigger Hotels in Wailea seemed real nice - great views and nicely organized - but don't know the name of it, sorry.

In terms of Maui for a wedding, IMHO, it would be hands down Wailea - the settings, the landscaping puts Ka'anappali to shame.
I would say that Kapula, where the Ritz Carlton is located is very beautiful too - but I think there is less hotel options there.
BTW, there was an on-the-beach wedding at the Renaissance when we were there - it was fun seeing the groom in a tux and flip-flop sandals - the wedding was around 5pm, and the setting was pretty cool.
Anyway, off for a drive around the island, will report back later.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 12:09 PM
cathyb

While in Kauai pls find out where the New Year's Eve activities are going to be. Please email me since I am currently on 3 wk vacation and not at home (but checking email). Thanks!