Hotel in Waikiki - Please help

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Waikiki - Please help

We're going to spend our honeymoon in Waikiki the end of May. I was looking at making reservations at the Outrigger on the Reef (good rate/location), but the reviews of the hotel seem pretty negative. I don't want to spend our honeymoon in a dingy/questionable hotel. Now I'm looking at the Waikiki Marriot or the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Any thoughts or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM

The Reef on the Beach is one of our favorite hotels in Waikiki. Great restaurant in the Shorebird, nice beach, however there are lots of rocks in past the beach in the water.Believe me, it's not dingy nor questionable. The Waikiki on the Beach is a little more upscale, and the beach and ocean is nicer in front of the hotel. Either way, you can't go wrong
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Outrigger Reef seemed an OK hotel. I didn't stay there but went to their restaurants and spa. It IS a HUGE hotel. Literally hundreds of people around the pool area, checking in and out. The public spaces were among the most crowded I saw anywhere in Waikiki.

So while it didn't seem "dingy" to me, I personally prefer a more intimate hotel. (I stay at a place nearby with >100 rooms.)
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 07:31 AM

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki last summer for the first 2 nights of our honeymoon before going to BI and Maui. This summer we are staying 5 nights before going to Kauai. It is a great hotel, and I can't recommend it enough. It's in a great location on Waikiki Beach, it has been recently renovated, and the service is extremely friendly. Plus, Duke's is downstairs, which has great breakfast, bar food, and drinks right on the beach. Have fun!
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:30 AM

In October 2003, I stayed at the Hawaii Prince hotel for $85/night via Priceline.

The hotel is not on the beach, but on a marina. It is about a block from Ala Moana center and across the street from a park. I can't remember the name. It took about 15 minutes to walk to the beach. In addition, they have a shuttle that runs from about noon-10 p.m. around Waikiki. All rooms are considered ocean view because they face the marina which leads to the ocean.

We were able to watch Cruise ships from our window and the sunset. It was really nice. It is not a resort, but is considered a 4-Star. Very quiet.

Seems to cater heavily to Japanese visitors. No problem for us. We loved the hotel.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 10:22 AM

I stayed at Outrigger on the beach, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! Like another poster mentioned, Duke's restaraunt downstairs is great too.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Another vote for the Outrigger on the Beach. The best location, Duke's is great, and it's right across the street from the International Marketplace.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Stay away from the Aston Waikiki Joy. Not on the beach but close and I made the mistake of spending 2 nights there for my honeymoon and was disappointed. Glad we hit Maui and Kauai. Hotel was small and pool was really small.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:08 PM

We stayed at the Waikiki Marriott in September while on a 25th wedding anniv. trip. I made sure to tell them when I booked that it was a special occasion and they upgraded us to an ocean view room in the Kealohilani Tower. I thought it was a very nice room, everything had been newly decorated, the room was large for Waikiki and the price. Be aware it is not on the beach but across the street with nothing in front of it to block the view. There are two pools and we had no problem with chairs etc. I think it is a very good deal for a pretty hotel in a great location. Happy Honeymoon!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Go for the Halekulani. It's your honeymoon after all!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki last week. The pros - nice rooms, good central location and stretch of beach. The cons - small pool area.

Although I wouldn't necessarily choose this place for a honeymoon, I enjoyed my stay there.

I would choose it over the Waikiki Marriott simply based on beachfront location (although the Marriott is just across the street from the beach). It is pretty bustling - Duke's was crowded morning, noon and night. The breakfast buffet was a good value, otherwise very mediocre food. However, it is a fun place to go for drinks - with it being right on Waikiki Beach.

While I agree with Whirlwind about the Halekulani suggestion, you can't really compare as the cost for the Halekulani will be much higher than the cost of the hotels you are considering.

I also visited the Sheraton Moana Surfrider while staying at the Outrigger and really liked the grounds and feel of that hotel.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
True, that's jumping into a whole different price range. Halekulani does look amazing. I've not stayed, only eaten dinner there, but I really like the feel of the Moana Surfrider which I'd stay at if I could afford it!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Suze - the Halekulani did look amazing, didn't it? We ate at La Mer one evening and it was a fantastic dining experience. It ranks as my most expensive meal, but definitly worth the splurge.

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:16 PM

Try to get a deal at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. You can save money by walking to Eggs and Things for breakfast or next door to Hale Koa Hotel (military, but public for food), for lunch. Grounds are beautiful, everynight they have a gorgeous torch-lighting ceremony and every friday free fireworks,beach is much nicer and bigger and rooms are very nice for your honeymoon. Not as expensive as Halekulani.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:32 PM

We just returned on Sat. and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. We loved this hotel. The staff was great, and the grounds were wonderful. The room was very big and always clean. Anything we wanted we were given. I would recommend staying in a Regency Club room, if money allows. It is worth it for all of the extras you get. Have a great trip, we are already trying to plan our next one.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 07:56 PM

I also liked the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The grounds and beach are beautiful and it is much quieter than at the Outrigger Waikiki or the Waikiki Marriot. Happy Honeymoon.