Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel in Sonoma (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-in-sonoma-354055/)

sjayala Sep 1st, 2003 03:58 PM

Hotel in Sonoma

We need a nice hotel to stay in for one night in Sonoma. Any suggestions?

glo Sep 1st, 2003 04:31 PM

Go to winecountry.com, then to sonoma for a list of hotels/spas in the different areas in Sonoma.If you want to stay near the plaza in the town of Sonoma, the Lodge at Sonoma looks like a nice place.

MarieF Sep 1st, 2003 04:51 PM

We stayed several years ago at the Victorian Garden Inn. It's more of a B&B, but we enjoyed our stay. I recall that it was in a residential area near the center of town.

Shari Sep 2nd, 2003 09:52 AM

Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa

gualalalisa Sep 2nd, 2003 10:01 AM

The Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa is very nice but it is a few miles west of the town of Sonoma in Boyes Hot Springs if that makes a difference.

gplimpton Sep 2nd, 2003 07:32 PM

Sonoma Mission Inn is a huge disappointment, and hugely overpriced. The furnishings are no better than a typical Hampton Inn, same with the mattress quality, bathrooms and towels. It could easily pass as a Best Western.
The upside is that the public areas are very nice and there's plenty of history to the place. But the poor room quality does not justify the price.

anneofingleside Sep 2nd, 2003 08:17 PM

I heard MacArthur Place is supposed to be very nice. Rates high in travel books.

Jed Sep 3rd, 2003 05:01 AM

We stayed at the Renaissance Lodge in Sonoma. It was a nice place to stay, and near town, but nothing special. ((C))

Sharon23 Sep 9th, 2003 07:30 AM

Difficult to get reservations for October weekend. Any opinion on the Hilton in Santa Rosa. Most of the smaller places in Santa Rosa and the unique places in Healdsburg are already booked. How long a drive to the major wine areas from sonoma? Thanks Sharon

glo Sep 9th, 2003 08:05 AM

Try the Ramekins Cooking School in Sonoma. They have a Bed and Breakfast adjacent to it. Also try the Lodge at Sonoma. Both are near the square.

Suzie Sep 9th, 2003 08:14 AM

Stayed at the Lodge at Sonoma. We had a very nice cottage room right near the pool and jacuzzi. The staff was great and room service was quick. The landscaping is new so the trees are pretty small but the sculpture around the property is a nice distraction. It looked like the lodge rooms that overlook the pool are very nice but many lodge rooms and some cottage rooms overlook the parking lot. Try to get a room that doesn't overlook the parking lot because the parking lot is right up to the buildings and the lights of the cars parking at night go right into the room.

Tansy Sep 9th, 2003 08:48 AM

Just back from a wedding in Sonoma. Stayed at El Pueblo Inn, one mile from the town square, it's not a high-end hotel but it's pretty, clean, had a nice pool and jacuzzi (open 24 hrs), and the free breakfast was fantastic. We had a king bed room, very comfortable. TV, iron and ironing board, great water pressure.
Some other wedding guests were at the Lodge at Sonoma and EVERYONE had bad things to say about it. One guest phoned down to the concierge and asked her to call a cab; the response was "Well, I can give you the phone number." Other guests went into the bar for a cocktail one afternoon, and although the bar was empty, almost every table had dirty glasses and trash on it. Looked like it had never been cleaned from the night before. Poolside service was horrible -- guests waited 30 minutes for a drink order, another 30 for some chips and salsa to arrive.

I was very happy with El Pueblo; I was looking for something nice, comfortable, relatively inexpensive (for Sonoma), and a place where with no two-night minimums (this may be your biggest obstacle as well, since most places require two nights). El Pueblo was $155 for one night and fit the bill perfectly.

hotandsweaty Sep 9th, 2003 02:55 PM

the hilton has a nice pool area, low slung buildings, some rooms with decks. you are not in the wine country, but it is a 30-40 minute drive, depending on how you go and where you need to end up.

winerycat Sep 9th, 2003 06:40 PM

My favorite is the El Dorado Hotel on the square right in the heart of Sonoma. Very nice rooms, simple, yet luxurious. Spanish tile floors, french windows and doors open onto the square. You are in the hub. Check out their website. Downstairs is Piatti restaurant, which is good, but better yet is the girl and the fig restaurant, very creative and unique wine list just across the street. Across the square is Della Santina, warm and wonderful Italian with personality, both local hangouts, because the food is great! Reasonably priced, with pool and lovely lobby with gift shop.

razzledazzle Sep 10th, 2003 12:33 AM

It 'tis truly unfortunate that anyone seeking "Wine Country" destinations at this late date has not yet discovered the NEW Sheraton in Petaluma (or a 1/2 dozen charming B&B's if that is more your style....) PPPPYYYOOOOWWWEEEE so much niftier then the Hilton Santa Rosa! and promo rates to match!!! And for great
dining: Girl & the Fig on the Petaluma River, and Dempseys, and the City Cafe
and Hiro and Rozen's East and Graziano's...and well a tad of night life at The Mystic or jazz at Zebulons Lounge ,well..Sonoma City is just...so....well... (over)done. IME
R5

babette Sep 10th, 2003 04:04 AM

I stayed at a super B&B called Sonoma Chalet with cozy private cottages with fireplaces. It was on the edge of town but felt like the countryside. They have bikes you can ride into town. Serene!

chitowngirl Sep 10th, 2003 09:05 AM

Sky Ranch Lodge www.skyranchlodge.com was nice. It's up by the small airport and overlooks Sedona. Terrific views!

gplimpton Sep 10th, 2003 09:50 AM

The view from the Sky Ranch Lodge is very nice, and expansive too.....but it doesn't extend all the way to SONOMA, which is 600 miles away.

chitowngirl Sep 10th, 2003 10:01 AM

OOPS, sorry. THAT would be a terrific view!

gualalalisa Sep 10th, 2003 11:21 AM

I used to stay at the Hilton in Santa Rosa all the time but it was so awful my last time there that I checked out never to return!

Hotel needs major renovation (peeling paint, cigarette burns everywhere, etc.), the "service" tends to be nasty or non-existent, and the food is really horrible. I stayed there because I need a convenient place to stay when I go to "town" as we here on the coast refer to Santa Rosa but it just got to be too much.

If you must stay in Santa Rosa, try the Vineyard Creek Inn.