Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel in San Francisco with teens (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-in-san-francisco-with-teens-412469/)

rahjmh Mar 18th, 2004 06:34 AM

Hotel in San Francisco with teens

I am taking two teens (17) to S.F. in June.
I want to stay in a fun area for them. Save so we can walk at night. The Triton and Tuscan look good. I'll need either two rooms or a 2-room suite, as the teens are my daughter and her boyfriend. Any suggestions. Something really cool.
Thanks. They like rock music (so do I).

gail Mar 18th, 2004 06:44 AM

Tuscan Inn does not have any real 2 room suites - we had what they called a suite but it was 2 tiny rooms - one with queen bed and one with sofa bed. When sofa bed was opened it was impossible to walk in room at all - or even get to bedroom as it blocked the doorway. We loved the hotel otherwise.

However, at risk of incurring rath of SF advisors here, I think Fisherman's Wharf would be a fun place for teenagers to be located. While admittedly very touristy, there are lots of shops and restaurants within easy walk of the many hotels there - they would have fun wandering around.

heime925 Mar 21st, 2004 03:38 PM

Hi, I stayed at the Triton last summer w/5 girlfriends and LOVED IT! The rooms are small, but comfortable. I'm not sure if they even have suites. The atmosphere in general was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have a funky lobby and have complimentary drinks every day from 5-6pm.(for you, of course, not the kids.) You are literally footsteps away from Chinatown, and within walking distance of everything..bus, train, trolley. We had no problems getting around. I would definately stay there again.

Abi Mar 21st, 2004 05:43 PM

As a resident of SF I'd recommend the Tuscan in Fisherman's Wharf over the Triton. Chinatown is dirty and noisy. Fisherman's Wharf has alot going on at night and at least it's a much safer area than Chinatown or Union Square for that matter.

dwoodliff Mar 23rd, 2004 10:05 PM

I spent a few days in SF last June with 3 "kids", ages 16, 18 and 24. We booked a couple of nights at The Phoenix Hotel, because I had read that visiting rock bands like to stay there. (My kids and I like rock music, too.) We went the weekend of the Haight-Ashbury Street Fair, and, sure enough, one of the bands (The Cramps)checked in right in front of us. My kids got a real kick out of seeing them, and later stopped at a record store and bought 2 of their CDs. Reviews said the Phoenix was near a seedy part of town (The Tenderloin), but we walked around in the daytime with no problem at all. The Phoenix is an older "motor hotel" type, but we loved the cool statuary around the pool, hip artwork and furnishings in the room (including a bamboo xylophone to play). There was a nice pool, but it was too cold to swim. At night, you could sit out at the pool and listen to music coming from the adjacent club. The Phoenix isn't fancy, but the atmosphere was fun.